PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please No (Rumor: Raiders could join Patriots in Bill O'Brien interest)

I don't think he'd go to Vegas under Josh, although I think Caley was the guy Josh wanted (Belichick blocked him from leaving if I recall correctly), and his contract is up after this year. And the one edge New England would have over Tennessee is a young quarterback that he would get credit for turning around, along with the fact he worked with Mac briefly during the transition to when he took over the coordinator job in Alabama.

That and he has a good relationship with Kraft and he likes the area. But I agree with @Steve:Section 102 - could very well be to make sure he gets compensated accordingly.

Last edited:
I don't think he'd go to Vegas under Josh, although I think Caley was the guy Josh wanted (Belichick blocked him from leaving if I recall correctly), and his contract is up after this year. And the one edge New England would have over Tennessee is a young quarterback that he would get credit in turning around, along with the fact he worked with Mac briefly during the transition to when he took over the coordinator job in Alabama.

Malik Wills isn’t so bad…just very green…

He'll choose Las Vegas if they also recruit Brady. If the Patriots promise him the HC job after BB retires then possibly he would choose the Patriots instead. The Titans would have to outbid the other two by a wide margin unless they also go hard after Brady.

Malik Willis looks about as bad as I've ever seen a bad quarterback look. Good luck tonight against that Dallas defense.

Vague thread title. And this doesn't deserve its own thread.
Threat title adjusted by mods but I disagree sir this does deserve its own threat title he is being touted as our future hope for offense.
I wouldn’t hate Kliff Kingsbury as well.

Vegas doesn’t make any sense. O’Brien has been the lead voice on offense for 14 seasons now, ever since McDaniels left the first time. He ran the Patriots’ offense, then everything with Penn State and the Texans, then Alabama’s offense, never reporting to another offensive-minded coach.

He’ll also have to commit to a job probably at least a month before the Raiders will have any idea who their QB will be. McDaniels is already on the hot seat, with some claims that he’s only still employed because Davis can’t afford to pay three head coaches at once. It’s also a giant middle finger to Mick Lombardi, who McDaniels just hired last offseason when he had the opportunity to hire somebody more experienced then.

Vegas doesn’t make any sense. O’Brien has been the lead voice on offense for 14 seasons now, ever since McDaniels left the first time. He ran the Patriots’ offense, then everything with Penn State and the Texans, then Alabama’s offense, never reporting to another offensive-minded coach.

He’ll also have to commit to a job probably at least a month before the Raiders will have any idea who their QB will be. McDaniels is already on the hot seat, with some claims that he’s only still employed because Davis can’t afford to pay three head coaches at once. It’s also a giant middle finger to Mick Lombardi, who McDaniels just hired last offseason when he had the opportunity to hire somebody more experienced then.
Agree with everything stated here.
Only thing I could think of if Tom is going to Vegas then Obrein Josh and Tom make sense.

He'll choose Las Vegas if they also recruit Brady. If the Patriots promise him the HC job after BB retires then possibly he would choose the Patriots instead. The Titans would have to outbid the other two by a wide margin unless they also go hard after Brady.

Malik Willis looks about as bad as I've ever seen a bad quarterback look. Good luck tonight against that Dallas defense.
Do you really think a coach, any coach is going to be lured to coach Tom Brady for a year or maybe two at 46-47 years old, knowing he's not the long term answer, and he only has to start over as soon as Brady leaves? That seems very short sighted. Coaches generally think long term.

Do you really think a coach, any coach is going to be lured to coach Tom Brady for a year or maybe two at 46-47 years old, knowing he's not the long term answer, and he only has to start over as soon as Brady leaves? That seems very short sighted. Coaches generally think long term.
If they think bringing in Brady for a season or two puts them in contention for a Super Bowl then yes. It's also not short sighted if you're also potentially developing your next QB under Brady for a couple of seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
If they think bringing in Brady for a season or two puts them in contention for a Super Bowl then yes. It's also not short sighted if you're also potentially developing your next QB under Brady for a couple of seasons.
Right, because Brady's track record of working with younger QBs underneath him is exemplary.

The next question is.. Are the Raiders or the Titans 46 year old Tom Brady away from the Super Bowl?

McDaniels signing BoB would be really frustrating. The Pats coaching staff was gutted last year by McDaniels, so him preventing the Pats from signing an OC a year later would be overkill.

The only way this makes sense IMO is if Brady went to Vegas next season.

I look at it this way. I like O’Brien but most O coaches would be better than the present arrangement.

Right, because Brady's track record of working with younger QBs underneath him is exemplary.
For instance who are you referring to? Brady was the quarterback for the majority of 19 seasons. So not many others got a chance. I'm told on good authority that Matt Cassel led the 2008 team to one of the greatest single seasons ever. Garoppolo? Can we assume Brady did anything toward his development? He's a decent regular season quarterback anyway. Seriously though, Brady would be in an obviously different spot at this point in his career. He only has 1 or 2 seasons left so he's got nothing to lose in mentoring a young quarterback now.

The next question is.. Are the Raiders or the Titans 46 year old Tom Brady away from the Super Bowl?
Titans, probably not, but they'll win that division and give themselves a chance.
Raiders, probably not because of the strength of their own division, but Brady would certainly make them more competitive.

Neither of those teams will win the SB with the current roster if Brady goes there. The only team that fits the bill for Brady is San Francisco...they are stacked enough that all Brady has to do is be the bus driver.

Yes, I think it could be a lure (not saying it's definitively going to happen here), because you take that job thinking that the team's improvement from bringing in Brady ends up leading to you getting a head coaching gig after that year or two.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
Back