PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods as our starting OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2569.jpg

Send him a copy and everything will be fine

he wasn't drafted.
Oh, Jeez, not another he-wasn't-drafted-so-therefore-he-can't-play post.

Do us a favor. Talk about next year's draft. Future drafts are the only ones where position is important (because it determines first contract salary).

After the draft and once the contract is signed, draft order only matters to Al Davis and you.

But you guys really don't know what you're talking about. Three games? Three? That's how many games you arm-chairers are going by. Pitiful.

Woods has a lot of work ahead of him. His tenacity has been called into question by me. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I don't think Belichick is going to sit on his laurels with the OLBers we have now.

The fact that you don't like Woods, makes me think he'll do a good job this year :D

The fact that you don't like Woods, makes me think he'll do a good job this year :D
That sounds bad. I'm expecting big things from Stephen Neal and Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor this year.

Also, Tom Brady will have a great second half.

I guess this logic better not work both ways. Then again it's not logic at all, but merely reflexive.

Yes, Woods did have a strange college career. Belichick has gone on the record before with his insight into the matter, and from where I'm standing Belichick is an awfully good evaluator of football talent.
Finally, the truth is out!

Woods was a colossal disappointment in college after his big sophomore season.

Notwithstanding his elite size and excellent combo numbers (which, truth be told, I wasn't aware of until Pat Chick gave it to me), he wasn't drafted in 2006.

2006 Patriots Draft Board

Do you believe we drafted a guy in the sixth round who many suspected didn't have the physical skills to make it in the NFL?

BTW, the 2006 draft class looks pretty sh-tty to me, BradyFTW. Definitely a down year--with the exception of Gostkowski.

Finally, the truth is out!

Woods was a colossal disappointment in college after his big sophomore season.

Notwithstanding his elite size and excellent combo numbers (which, truth be told, I wasn't aware of until Pat Chick gave it to me), he wasn't drafted in 2006.

2006 Patriots Draft Board

Do you believe we drafted a guy in the sixth round who many suspected didn't have the physical skills to make it in the NFL?

BTW, the 2006 draft class looks pretty sh-tty to me, BradyFTW. Definitely a down year--with the exception of Gostkowski.

I know I'm going off topic here and starting a whole new argument, but 2006 is looking like their worst draft class. I still think there is hope for Maroney but his time is running out. Also, I still think that putting Chad Jackson (a guy you traded a 2 and 3 rounder for) on special teams, (defending the kickoff) which tore his ACL, was one of the dumbest moves by BB. Not to mention, the Pats had one of the worst group of receivers in the NFL and Jackson was just getting over his hamstring injury which makes it look worse. People blame Jackson for being a bust, but I think things would have been different had he not torn his ACL. In fact, some players never recover from it. It was fine for the Pats to pick David Thomas in round 3, but drafting the same kind of player in round 4 (Garret Mills, who they eventually cut) was pretty mind boggling. The guy I wanted during this draft was Leon Williams who is an MLB for the Browns. Despite having a down 2008, he had a pretty good 2007 recording 85 tackles and 4 sacks as a MLB. I understood the O'Callahan pick at the time, but it doesn't look like this guy is going to develop into anything.

Last edited:
Some people have an idee fixe that they can never let go.

Fact: We have four positions to fill at LB.
Fact: we have four veteran incumbants, All with starting experience. Those four produced a Top Ten rated Defense, even though they were wracked with injuries, in 2008.

You seem to believe that there is a glaring hole there; but most would disagree. It is not even as if there was no depth. Inside we have two established veteran, ex-starters, Bruschi and Lenon, available as reserves.

Outside we have two veteran starters, Thomas and Woods. It is not as if there was no depth. Outside we have a proven veteran pass rusher in TBC, and a high draft pick, a prized rookie from 2008, who has had a year to orient, and spend in the weight rooom, as all said, was needed. A third reserve has spectacular size and speed.

Two of the four are Probowl quality; and a third is an aging ex-probowler. A LB squad, hardly bereft of talent.

Overall, this Defense is faster and younger than any of the Belichick era. It has the potential to be the deepest and BEST too.

I find myself having to constantly defend Woods as if he were a star; he may develop into one. But at minimum, he is a creditable, good-sized, speedy, quick, young, veteran, SOLB starter. If he is the weakest of the starting 11; which I don't concede; he is hardly a glaring weakness either, but a better than average starter. :cool:

Some people have an idee fixe that they can never let go.

Fact: We have four positions to fill at LB.
Fact: we have four veteran incumbants, All with starting experience. Those four produced a Top Ten rated Defense, even though they were wracked with injuries, in 2008.

You seem to believe that there is a glaring hole there; but most would disagree. It is not even as if there was no depth. Inside we have two established veteran, ex-starters, Bruschi and Lenon, available as reserves.

Outside we have two veteran starters, Thomas and Woods. It is not as if there was no depth. Outside we have a proven veteran pass rusher in TBC, and a high draft pick, a prized rookie from 2008, who has had a year to orient, and spend in the weight rooom, as all said, was needed. A third reserve has spectacular size and speed.

Two of the four are Probowl quality; and a third is an aging ex-probowler. A LB squad, hardly bereft of talent.

Overall, this Defense is faster and younger than any of the Belichick era. It has the potential to be the deepest and BEST too.

I find myself having to constantly defend Woods as if he were a star; he may develop into one. But at minimum, he is a creditable, good-sized, speedy, quick, young, veteran, SOLB starter. If he is the weakest of the starting 11; which I don't concede; he is hardly a glaring weakness either, but a better than average starter. :cool:

"Fact" (in quotes because it isn't a fact at all): If we can't get double-digit sacks from our SOLB (like we didn't in 2001, 2003, or 2004, or like the Steelers didn't get until last year), then it means our pass rush sucks and is pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News