PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB praises his OLB'S (CRABLE, REDD, WOODS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB praises his OLB'S (CRABLE, REDD,WOODS)

*Headsmack* For the last time... Woods is our starter. We have been grooming him for this role for 4 years. The ONLY player that MIGHT have disrupted this plan was Peppers. At that was only going to happen if he wanted to play for nothing, and the Panthers were willing to trade him for almost nothing.

That doesnt mean we cant use Taylor. SO what if he groomed him for 4 years, Woods is nothing more than a Backup player. Taylor would be an upgrade as a pass rusher.

That doesnt mean we cant use Taylor. SO what if he groomed him for 4 years, Woods is nothing more than a Backup player. Taylor would be an upgrade as a pass rusher.

right on...I'm still hoping we acquire JP or JT.

That doesnt mean we cant use Taylor. SO what if he groomed him for 4 years, Woods is nothing more than a Backup player.

Actually, I think there's a fair body of evidence to suggest that this isn't the case.

Actually, I think there's a fair body of evidence to suggest that this isn't the case.

I think it is the case, For one he's been a backup his whole career here..second of all he doesnt make many if any impact plays at all. He started last year by default cause of injuries. Basically to me he is the mike wright of our linebacking corps. They said he does 1 thing really well and that's get to the QB, yet when he had his chance to start he didnt do anything. I dont dislike Woods, but from what we have seen from him sofar = backup OLB until proven otherwise.

Now that you've calmed down look at your headline and realize how silly it is.
How do you figure it is silly? Actions speak much larger than words.

Just out of curiousity, did you watch the presser? If not, you should. It's only 15-20 minutes long and is on PATRIOTS.COM. You might come away with a different feeling.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the OLB we drafted last year. They should produce big time this year.

I think it is the case, For one he's been a backup his whole career here..second of all he doesnt make many if any impact plays at all. He started last year by default cause of injuries. Basically to me he is the mike wright of our linebacking corps. They said he does 1 thing really well and that's get to the QB, yet when he had his chance to start he didnt do anything. I dont dislike Woods, but from what we have seen from him sofar = backup OLB until proven otherwise.

James Harrison says hello. I think he's been cut by the Steelers 2 or 3 times, and was UDFA. Different systems, but still takes tiime to develop the positon.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the OLB we drafted last year. They should produce big time this year.

right on Matt!

Who are we to eval players? Cmon.....I guess we're all excited and bored right now.

IMO-We will see good production out of Redd, Crable and Woods this year. Esp. anxious to see Redd's time and Crable.

give these doods a chance!:cool:

James Harrison says hello. I think he's been cut by the Steelers 2 or 3 times, and was UDFA. Different systems, but still takes tiime to develop the positon.

James Harrison is the exception, how many players actually did what he did? Not many that I can think of. Usually if a player is in the league for 4-5 years. U kind of know what type of player they are by then.

I think people need to realise that in a capped world you cannot have superstars at every position if they want paid

There's a reason why Peppers would require us to be 16m under the cap

Woods may turn out to be much improved this year but we've spent a lot of money upgrading the secondary and you cant have it all

Saying all that I think we will get JT and probably cut one of the existing OLB's or put them back on the PS

I think people need to realise that in a capped world you cannot have superstars at every position if they want paid

There's a reason why Peppers would require us to be 16m under the cap

Woods may turn out to be much improved this year but we've spent a lot of money upgrading the secondary and you cant have it all

Saying all that I think we will get JT and probably cut one of the existing OLB's or put them back on the PS

Yes indeed, Also JT wouldnt probably break the bank..My guess is around 4-5m a year with incentives which is do-able.

James Harrison is the exception, how many players actually did what he did? Not many that I can think of. Usually if a player is in the league for 4-5 years. U kind of know what type of player they are by then.

Quit while you are still behind. Anybody who watched the patriots last year knows that Woods did quite well in the time he played before the injury. Like I said before, we were grooming him for the role. To state that he is back up quality because he has been a back up for 4 years is silly. By that logic all developmental players would have to start instantly or be doomed to ride pine for the rest of their careers. UDFAs don't stick around this long without a very good reason. Woods is our starter. It has been the plan since 2007.

If we do pick up JT it's only because we can. He won't start. Furthermore, the likely line-up when he's on the field would be Woods Mayo Thomas Taylor not Taylor Mayo Bruschi Thomas.

Quit while you are still behind. Anybody who watched the patriots last year knows that Woods did quite well in the time he played before the injury. Like I said before, we were grooming him for the role. To state that he is back up quality because he has been a back up for 4 years is silly. By that logic all developmental players would have to start instantly or be doomed to ride pine for the rest of their careers. UDFAs don't stick around this long without a very good reason. Woods is our starter. It has been the plan since 2007.

Behind on what? Im just stating the facts...To this point he hasnt shown much at all, even when he started for a few games last year. Show me something substantial that he did on the field that proves what I have been saying otherwise. He is a solid backup player, Im not trying to talk down on him. It is what it is. He might start for us but that doesnt mean we cant use an upgrade over him. Would u rather have him or Taylor? I doubt u would choose the former. And Ive never said developmental players would have to start instantly or be doom to rid the pine for their careers. Im saying this about WOODS...not all backups.

I would rather have Woods hands down. Taylor is old and would be playing out of position. He would be a liability in pass coverage.

I would rather have Woods hands down. Taylor is old and would be playing out of position. He would be a liability in pass coverage.

Nah, JT played in a 3-4 when Nick Saban was coaching the LOLphins. And im not sure of this but I think he won the Defensive PLayer of the Year award that year.

BShow me something substantial that he did on the field that proves what I have been saying otherwise.

You're saying that 3-4 OLBs don't take years to develop. James harrison was given as a counterexample. Here are some others:

Adalius Thomas
Mike Vrable

Nah, JT played in a 3-4 when Nick Saban was coaching the LOLphins. And im not sure of this but I think he won the Defensive PLayer of the Year award that year.

Yes, and since, hes been hurt, has dropped his training regime, and has gotten older. He just got cut because he was terrible in 2008 and refused to do offseason training.

Let's see now.

THE MAJORITY BOARD VIEW
Posters on this board seem to think that Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain and Redd are not resdy for prime-time and at least two should have been upgraded and the other two upgraded next year, barring a strong turnabout. And we should certainly be thinking about developing the replacement for Thomas. After all, he is on his last legs at OLB. He should be shifted to ILB as soon as we can! The HOPE is that Crable and/or Redd might develop. Otherwise, we should have started our rebuilding mode as we have at ILB (Mayo, Guyton and McKenzie).

THE TEAM'S VIEW
Belichick is so satisfied with the OLB's that he doesn't draft ANY, not ONE! Surely, there was one who was worth a try, given our dire straits!
=======================================

BOTTOM LINE
Even if Belichick thinks he can sign or trade for someone, surely these scrubs need to be upgraded, at least according to the fine analysis of our linebackers on this board. Perhaps, just perhaps, we should be spending much more time understanding why the best coach in the history of football and a defensive genius thinks that our current personnel are so much better than the board thinks they are.

I've seen some stretches before, but man that one was long. :D

Yeah but it was fun!

Just like our "Gloucestermen" pair, SeyMonsta and SeaBass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back