PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts ... next day observations, Chargers at Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: idle thoughts...next day observations

I was pleasantly surprised to see AJ Edds out there for a spell.

1. Most of my concern comes from the play of the DL. Not only did they NOT give us a consistent pass rush, but they also weren't that effective against the run. Now granted they only gave up 98 yds, which isn't a horrible number, its wasn't what I expect from this front 7.

That was a very good offensive line they went up against. They got good push most of the time, ending up with two sacks (including a strip sack and recovered fumble). They intercepted one pass and forced Rivers into hurrying his throw for the second. They also held their own on the goal line stand. Not as bad as you're suggesting.

I don't think the purpose of the thread was to "hit on the defense", far from it..

Hey, thanks for the feedback Ken.

A clarification on the above: i wasn't referring to this thread as 'hit on the defense". My post was a cut/paste from another thread that was slamming our D. Hence the PS in my original post that though I was a bit concerned about relying on our D, I wasn't trying to bury them.

Apologies in case you thought I was referring to this thread as hitting on our D.

....you have to be italian:rocker:

best arm wave in history....

deanmartin03.jpg

best arm wave in history....

deanmartin03.jpg

whew.....thought you were going to pick Mussolini,for a minute,there:eek:

1. I agree on the positive side, Rivers often didn't have much room to step up in the pocket, but it still seemed to me that the Pats pass rushers seemed to stick with the blockers rather than leave their lanes to get to the QB. If you have the game DVRed let me know if this "impression" is valid
2. That may be the case. I was kind of surprised at Spikes started, just as I was disappointed with SD's early run success. Maybe BB was too, and that's why he didn't get more snaps

3. Well that makes me feel better. But I expect more from him. Not necessarily to get sacks, but to create the openings for others.

4. You are right. Mayo DID make some big plays, hopefully he'll get more consistent as the season progresses

i would definitely agree, got that impression live as well, and they seemed to try and move the O line closer together and sort of form a wall around rivers....instead of trying to by pass the O linemen which is the easiest way to get a sack, they just seemed happy to stand them up

i dont get it

I think the pass interference call was an instance of a veteran receiver taking advantage of a much less experienced Patriots DB. The DB put up his arm in a fairly innocent way, though it was across Gates's body. Gates proceeded to wrap his arm around the DB's arm, making it look like the DB was holding Gates's arm.

Smart play on Gates's part. Impossible to detect by a ref making a judgment in real time. It reminds me of some of the things experienced basketball players do to draw fouls. And the experienced basketball player, particularly if he's a star, always gets the benefit of the doubt.

I thought Carter's hit on Rivers was textbook, and I loved it, but under the current rules I think it isn't legal. Hard to know what he could have done -- extended his head upwards? Turn his whole body sideways in mid-air so he hits with his shoulder? Pretty hard to actually imagine making those moves.

And yet, time proves my posts to be mostly correct, while most of your posts continue to be about as wrong as it gets. ;)

If you think times proves you correct, the best advice is to always be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft