PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB praises his OLB'S (CRABLE, REDD, WOODS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see now.

THE MAJORITY BOARD VIEW
Posters on this board seem to think that Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain and Redd are not resdy for prime-time and at least two should have been upgraded and the other two upgraded next year, barring a strong turnabout. And we should certainly be thinking about developing the replacement for Thomas. After all, he is on his last legs at OLB. He should be shifted to ILB as soon as we can! The HOPE is that Crable and/or Redd might develop. Otherwise, we should have started our rebuilding mode as we have at ILB (Mayo, Guyton and McKenzie).

THE TEAM'S VIEW
Belichick is so satisfied with the OLB's that he doesn't draft ANY, not ONE! Surely, there was one who was worth a try, given our dire straits!
=======================================

BOTTOM LINE
Even if Belichick thinks he can sign or trade for someone, surely these scrubs need to be upgraded, at least according to the fine analysis of our linebackers on this board. Perhaps, just perhaps, we should be spending much more time understanding why the best coach in the history of football and a defensive genius thinks that our current personnel are so much better than the board thinks they are.

Everybody underestimates this Redd kid. We have given the job to Woods or Crable. We all want length and speed. Redd measured 6-6, weighed in at 263 and then turned in forty times that ranged in the mid-4.5 area, with some stopwatches reading 4.48. He also posted a 39-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-10 broad jump. He has a year under his belt in the NFL which means the stars in his eyes have diminished. These "stats" are "Barwinesque" would we all agree? Don't we already have him? Did we see the Pats select not a single OLB? Here is the other key. Even in UDFA, no outside LB chosen even for camp fodder. Wasn't Vrabel released when other than CAP he could have produced another year or two? Or was it just time for these kids to make a difference.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Inches are irrelevant in player production.
It's obvious BB like size on the line BUT-
whether its RB's or OLB's being discussed....
the inch and pound issue is week and simply a F-ing NUMBER-OK?

I don't need to give player examples and people that have played or have a knowledge of the game understand this-6-4 or 5-10-Ive seen 5-10 smoke 6-4 and he has a longer reach also I've seen a 180 lb Safety knock the sh&^t out of a 230lb back.....

stats are for fantasy nerds and slave traders

Remember my fellow spuds:
Big things come in small packages.

Fail. Fortunately for us, Belichick is running the Pats' draft, and not you.

Re: BB praises his OLB'S (CRABLE, REDD,WOODS)

That doesnt mean we cant use Taylor. SO what if he groomed him for 4 years, Woods is nothing more than a Backup player. Taylor would be an upgrade as a pass rusher.

And Matt Cassel was a bum last preseason, to a lot of fans. Pierre Woods is the starter and he will prove to be a good one. So eventually, will Crabel and maybe Redd.

Jason Tayor might be brought in to compete with AD on the weakside and platoon on the weakside, or one will swing inside to ILB on pass rush plays. Meanwhile Woods will be playing the strong-side OLB.

Did you even think that the Hobbs trade was to open money to pay Jason Taylor?

I am not sold on Woods at all. He didn't get much push when rushing the passer last year, often got blocked out of making a play and misdiagnoses what is going on the field.

Maybe he will improve some more? IMO he is a backup OLB, he just doesn't have playmaker ability and that is what the Patriots need at that position.

Re: BB praises his OLB'S (CRABLE, REDD,WOODS)

I think it is the case, For one he's been a backup his whole career here..second of all he doesnt make many if any impact plays at all. He started last year by default cause of injuries. Basically to me he is the mike wright of our linebacking corps. They said he does 1 thing really well and that's get to the QB, yet when he had his chance to start he didnt do anything. I dont dislike Woods, but from what we have seen from him sofar = backup OLB until proven otherwise.

Yeah, uh, you could have said the same thing about Bruschi at one point.

How do you figure it is silly? Actions speak much larger than words.

Just out of curiousity, did you watch the presser? If not, you should. It's only 15-20 minutes long and is on PATRIOTS.COM. You might come away with a different feeling.

Yes i watched it. I agree he didn't say anything bad about Crable and he certainly didn't say anything good, given multiple opportunities.

The reason it's a story, is they have conspicuously not drafted or signed an ace pass rusher which seems a priority need to many (me too).

Therefore, the spotlight falls on Crable and the writer expected to hear something encouraging about his progress.

BB replied the way he does about players who've yet to show anything. Actually I'm going to change my reaction a little to say BB has certainly praised those who've put in extra work and there wasn't a bit of praise there.

She's a writer. Her job is to find a story angle. Is he in the doghouse? I don't know, nor does amyone else. He's certainly not on the pat on the back list.

Theother thread is flat out embarrassing for adults to react that way. Why start a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back