PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods as our starting OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not anti Woods, I was a big booster based on his early preseason-SP play. I'm hoping he and Crable give us what we need.

If we're going to discuss our prospects seriously though, we need to admit it's hope more than evidence, which is what we have at most positions.

There's no doubt that there are players who practice well that just don't make it as starters. Players that start and succeed all through college usually do well in the pros too, but also have high price tags.

This is true of every team putting a player in as a starter/high-rep platoon player for the first time. New England will be running on "hope more than evidence" at 3-4 spots on the defense, and at least 2 of them will be in the secondary.

This is true of every team putting a player in as a starter/high-rep platoon player for the first time. New England will be running on "hope more than evidence" at 3-4 spots on the defense, and at least 2 of them will be in the secondary.

I feel pretty good about the secondary. Two players who've started a bit and show promise, nice draft pick and two vets with some track record.

Promising young rotation at safety IMO.

More proven starters at LB, but overall I feel pretty good at DB if everyone's healthy.

Last edited:
Christopher Gasper ~ "There is no doubt that OLB is the team's biggest question mark, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition there." Patriots Q&A with Gasper - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com Yah think?

Nothing like taking things out of context, huh?

Christopher Gasper: I think this is fair. Personally, I'm excited to see what Shawn Crable can do after he red-shirted last year with a shin injury. His long arms and athleticism hint at the ability to be an effective pass rusher. I also think that Tully Banta-Cain can be effective in spots. Don't forget Adalius Thomas was having a pretty good season until he broke his forearm. There is no doubt that OLB is the team's biggest question mark, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition there. But I think saying the Pats are doomed is definitely too strong.

It just doesn't have that same 'zing' for you when you don't screw with the answer, does it?

Why are people so concerned with this ONE position. Unless it's the QB, it doesn't deserve this much attention.

If it's a glaring problem, they'll scheme around it.

Christopher Gasper ~ "There is no doubt that OLB is the team's biggest question mark, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition there." Patriots Q&A with Gasper - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com Yah think?

my guess is:

OLB - AD, Woods, Crable, Banta
ILB - Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Lenon
+ one more LB (like either Alexander or Redd)

with those guys we are looking strong with our front seven (including the d-line). Not to blindly elevate Woods, but the guy has improved tremendously year after year (granted he started as a lowly undrafted free agent) and there is little reason to suspect this trend to stop. he will be, at the very least, serviceable, and BB lauded him along with a number of other linebackers for their offseason workouts. the sky isn't falling, let's move on.

1) You say these are strong because of what? We have two known quanitites, two quality 2009 starters: Thomas and Mayo. We have had 2-3 linebackers injuries for the last several years. An injury to one of the two would really hurt, as Thomas' injury hurt last year. We are counting on Thomas to be 100% and to stay healthy.

The other six linebackers may indeed be serviceable. They may be a probowler or two among them, or they may be a bunch of jags.

2) Others say these are strong because Bill Knows Best. Ok, if that is the case, we should simply stop posting. Obviously, Belichick sees enough in the OLB's to believe that we will be fine and that the draftees and free agents weren't worth adding. Of course, many here don't see it. Okay, maybe Crable is as good as Mayo. We all just didn't notice. Perhaps, one of the two premier special teamers is probowl material, and they have hid it from the world for years.

3) The last spot is indeed wide open. You mention Redd and Alexander. My guess is Ciurciu, the replacement for Izzo brought in by the speical teams coach for that role.

4) The issue is that the OLB position has been identified by everyone as a key developmental need for the patriots for years, and expecially in this offseason. It amazes many of us that all we needed was to replace Vrabel with Banta-Cain and bring back a healthy Crable. We are amazed that we there is no value in bringing in a veteran (even a jag) as insurance.

We will all be very satisfied if Woods and Crable play like Mayo and Guyton, and if Banta-Cain is a quality backup and special teamer. Personally, I fear that we will be blaming our losses on injuries, yet again. We cannot provide for everything. However, the starter and depth need at OLB is a known issue.

===============================
OLB - AD, Woods, Crable, Banta
ILB - Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Lenon
+ one more LB (like either Alexander or Redd)

with those guys we are looking strong with our front seven (including the d-line). Not to blindly elevate Woods, but the guy has improved tremendously year after year (granted he started as a lowly undrafted free agent) and there is little reason to suspect this trend to stop. he will be, at the very least, serviceable, and BB lauded him along with a number of other linebackers for their offseason workouts. the sky isn't falling, let's move on.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Nothing like taking things out of context, huh?

It just doesn't have that same 'zing' for you when you don't screw with the answer, does it?

Actually, the full quote is worse. He talks about the Pats entire OLB situation without ever mentioning one of the presumed starters.

This entire thread supports my belief that Woods stole State's girl, kicked his dog, laughed at his truck, and put cheese puffs into the dryer with his tighty whities.
th_coffee.gif

What is could we see Pierre Woods as ? Let's use the title of the thread as a guide.

Let me get the ball rolling.
*Pierre Woods as our QB?
*Pierre Woods as our GM?
*Pierre Woods as our place kicker?
*Pierre Woods as our waterboy?

Other suggestions ?

Last edited:
This entire thread supports my belief that Woods stole State's girl, kicked his dog, laughed at his truck, and put cheese puffs into the dryer with his tighty whities.
th_coffee.gif

Not only all that, but he's also prob. just not a very good OLB, either.

Our lousy pass-rush has been a game-losing problem for a year and a half, and absolutely nothing has been done to correct it. All that's left now is prayer.

Our lousy pass-rush has been a game-losing problem for a year and a half, and absolutely nothing has been done to correct it. All that's left now is prayer.

OMG - wow, I agree ! We're worse off than the Lions. To think we only went 11-5 with our backup QB. Lousy stinkin' OLBs ! This entire decade has been one big letdown.

I know, it really sucks to have to put up with 18-1 and 11-5 teams. ******* terrible. It's almost like we haven't won the most games in the league over the last two years.

So what? How many Championships have we won over the past 2 - or 4 - years? Meanwhile, the effin Mannings have won 2, and the Squealers have won the other 2.

Ignoring a problem will usually not make it go away.

So what? How many Championships have we won over the past 2 - or 4 - years? Meanwhile, the effin Mannings have won 2, and the Squealers have won the other 2.

Ignoring a problem will usually not make it go away.

If you think that it's reasonable to evaluate complex schemes and systems based on 2-year sample sizes, then the American public schooling system has completely failed you.

Good thing we have guys like State and Captain Stone to set the Patriots organization straight. :rolleyes:

I think you're getting a little too spoiled. The Patriots lost one game in 2007. They have been in contention for a championship almost every year this decade.

The 49ers in the 80's went 4 years between championships. Relax.

Last edited:
captain stone has now gone too far in is generalizations. He said Pierre Woods was not a good LB. The evidence is already in that he is incorrect. Woods has started in three games and played in several others. He has demonstrated that he is good at setting the edge and stuffing the run. While he was in, the Patriots Defense ranked 10 out of 32 in stuffing the run, and opponents were unable to exploit his presence.

What he has not demonstrated, YET, is that he can be an equally good pass rusher. But even there, there is partial evidence. He had one sack in 3 starts. Projected over a 16 game season that would be a production of 5-6 sacks per season. While not double digit annual production, it is about what the SOLB position has produced on average for the past decade.

Therefore Pierre has demonstrated is that he is, at least, a good, swift, big and talented OLB. What he has not demonstrated is that he is a Pro bowl Star, to captain and us all.

I have seen enough, to know that the concern over the SOLB position is vastly exaggerated. Wholly unaccounted for by Messrs. Stone and Bro, is the apparent unconcern by the Coaches; and the willingness to trade the former starter with little apprehension. I would be willing to enter their World of Paranoia, if they could but explain that, but of course they cannot.

Our two Paranoid com-Patriots, criticize the lack of pass rush the last two years. Ignoring the fact that the pass rush produced top ten figures in 2007, and only the 2008 season, ravaged by injuries, and starting 5 defensive rookies, saw a sack drop off. I am confident that Sack production will rise if only because there will be fewer rookies playing, not to mention all the Defensive additions.:D

Last edited:
I can't be fair to him, though, since his execrable attempt to hold onto a fumble recovery on a miserable SB vs. the Giants. How he gave it up to a tiny RB who wasn't even drafted seems to me to indicate he doesn't have that toughness and grit I'm looking for.

Hey State, I guess you want to take out Tom Brady as well, because he has had several multiple INT games in the playoffs. Or Randy Moss because he dropped a pass. Or Adalius not being able to bring down Eli Manning in the Super Bowl. Or Meriweather missing a tackle against the Jets last season.

They're. Not. The. Answer.

I didn't know we judged careers on one play.

Last edited:
As much as I'm down on Woods, I'm high on Crable, a speed merchant who can bring it off the edge. Woods is a dopey-eyed nice guy who has the m.o. of not playing up to his potential; Crable is a stud who will bring it.

Am I panicking? You are if you say so. It's what the psychologists call "projection."

I think BB is looking for Woods/ B-C--stop gap players--to hold down the fort while "Chicken Legs" gets some seasoning. He's the long-term answer.

BTW, when Crable was being recruited his roomie for the wknd was Woods. Crable and Woods go way back together.

I don't think Woods has shown "tremendous" improvement. He played a few games before getting hurt and put up what looks like decent numbers. But his weakness is at the point of attack where he can get blown off the line.

And, yes, he did steal my girlfriend. Typical scUM. Their girls are so fat and ugly they constantly raid our hot East Lansing chicks.

Chicken Legs didn't do that, though. He stayed close to his Ohio galpals. I respect a man's integrity that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes