PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods as our starting OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the definition of "opinion". What it is your point? I don't have to give you any facts to support my "opinion", because it's my "opinion". You don't have to agree it. Nobody is right or wrong until Woods gets his chance. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the definition of "opinion". What it is your point? I don't have to give you any facts to support my "opinion", because it's my "opinion". You don't have to agree it. Nobody is right or wrong until Woods gets his chance. It's as simple as that.

You made an untrue statement. I corrected it. That was my point.

Last edited:
You made an untrue statement. I corrected it. That was my point.

This is last time I'm responding about this because it's starting to go way off topic. You know it's going off topic when people start whipping out dictionaries. I say the Pats are weak at LB and should improve it. That is my opinion. You say the Pats are pretty good at LB. That is your opinion. However, you guys continually insist that you're right and I'm wrong when Woods and the rest of the crew haven't stepped foot on the field as a starting unit. This is my point, nobody is right or wrong until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
REISS ! Blast you for going on vacation and leaving us with nothing but OLB threads to entertain us ! AAAAARGH.

REISS ! Blast you for going on vacation and leaving us with nothing but OLB threads to entertain us ! AAAAARGH.

I'm so damn tired of these OLB threads after today. They all seem to be emanating from the same source.:rolleyes:

This is last time I'm responding about this because it's starting to go way off topic. You know it's going off topic when people start whipping out dictionaries. I say the Pats are weak at LB and should improve it. That is my opinion. You say the Pats are pretty good at LB. That is your opinion. However, you guys continually insist that you're right and I'm wrong when Woods and the rest of the crew haven't stepped foot on the field as a starting unit. This is my point, nobody is right or wrong until proven otherwise.

I've not commented about such things on this thread. I teased people for panicking, noted that the arguments about the Steelers are false and pointed out the the defenses of all the Super Bowl teams allowed a score in the last 5 minutes of the game.

You can bleat on and on about your opinion all you want. I really don't care, because the argument is both moot and overhashed at this point. However, you made a false claim about opinions and I corrected it.

As for "you guys" and the claim, don't go lumping me in to any group. I don't know what Woods will bring to the table. I simply understand that there are more factors involved than "What BRO wants, thinks and knows". However, since you insist on making me a part of "you guys", here are some actual posts:

This is my expectation too, although I still think that they'll look for DB help and will draft 2+ linebackers as well.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/204701-points-defense.html#post1240916

3.) Woods was doing fine before getting hurt himself. Is your claim going to be that Colvin would have avoided injury?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/209714-vrabel-worth-5m-page2.html#post1260957

Woods is a restricted free agent, not an unrestricted free agent. If he's signed elsewhere before the draft, bring this up again and perhaps I'll change my mind after reviewing what the roster looks like at that time. Until then, I assume he'll be back. And, again, we disagree about the priority.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/211389-players-would-trade-up-14-get-page2.html#post1266653

Your opinion on Woods is your own. I don't happen to agree with it. Furthermore, they drafted an OLB in round 3 last season. Again, Bruschi is the weakest link among the starters. He's an ILB. Therefore, unless the team is going to move Thomas inside on a permanent basis, ILB is the more pressing need.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/211389-players-would-trade-up-14-get-page2.html#post1267089

I expect Bruschi and Guyton to be back, and Woods will probably be wanted back as well.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/214659-jason-taylor.html#post1277015

If TBC is actually getting signed to play linebacker and not just serve on special teams, it seems to me that one logical conclusion is that either Woods is gone or Crable isn't looking good.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/216677-patriots-sign-banta-cain-former-umass-te-brad-listorti.html#post1285629

This team still needs an ILB and an OLB, along with a 3rd safety, to flesh out the starters, IMO. I can see another year of the Bruschi/Guyton platoon, but I just don't see Woods suddenly becoming a 60+ snaps guy on the outside.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/223745-bb-19-0-bust-were-going.html#post1316857

Woods - nothing special when playing and a step down from Vrabel, to be kind

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/233116-donaldson-dont-expect-much-improvement-patriots-defense.html#post1366281

Originally Posted by patsinthesnow View Post
I am going to ask again, slowly...

What can a 34 year old OLB that was pretty much a bust in Washington, bring to the table more then Woods and the highly anticipated Crable?
Talent.....

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/233215-reiss-pats-contact-jason-taylor-page3.html#post1369819

Originally Posted by tanked_as_usual View Post
we don't have 4 good starters......woods has only proven to be depth and was relatively ineffective as a starter........maybe he will improve......maybe crable will improve.....maybe redd will improve, but at the end of last year, none of them had proven to be any kind of starting quality
You've made that claim repeatedly. Others have disagreed repeatedly. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/238007-out-limb-regarding-linebackers-page2.html#post1380546

Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
Pierre Woods and Shawn Crabel say hello

And hasnt BB said its their job this season?

This thread should die
BB has sought Mr. Taylor and Mr. Burgess, and he's brought in Mr. Lenon. It's pretty clear that he's open to change in the linebacking corps.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/247690-julius-peppers-signs-franchise-tender-panthers-page2.html#post1415389

Like we all do, you read something and took off with your notions of what it meant. I'm not any sort of monster supporter of Woods, and I've noted my reservations about this team's linebackers and defensive secondary. I'm just not going to go off the reservation without first seeing what's there.

I think that it would do you a lot of good to read a post I made in another thread, especially the part that I quoted from Belichick:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/240182-future-patriots-d-3-4-tipping-point.html#post1387977

According to you and whoever else disagrees with me. Sorry to break to you, but there are other people on this board that actually see the same thing.

And they're just as wrong as you are, and have brought just as little to the table as you have. Look, I disagree with people all the time here. I think I disagree with feldspar and Deus like twice a day, but, for better or worse, they actually support their positions, which makes it at least possible to debate the *merit* of those points. I certainly don't write off every opinion that I disagree with as unfounded, so I'm not writing off yours because I disagree with it. I'm writing it off because you have brought absolutely nothing at all to support it.

Also, people would think you're nuts but there isn't a fact book saying who is the best Patriot in NFL history.

So I'm not wrong for thinking that Duane Starks is the greatest Patriot in history? Fine, then I'll agree with you: your opinion is equally as valid as that of a guy who thinks that Duane Starks is the best Patriot ever.

So just to let you know, there is no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Carl Everett's opinion is that dinosaurs never existed. He can't be wrong though, apparently.

The problem is, you know just as much as I know about Pierre Woods. But you feel like you know everything so this is obviously going nowhere.

I don't know much about Woods, and neither do you. That's the entire point. None of us know much of anything about Woods, so asserting that he's not a starter-caliber OLB is stupid. The only people who have seen enough of him to have an opinion are the Pats' coaching staff, so until I see enough to make my own judgment I'm not going to write off their opinion. You and State are the ones who are trying to claim that you know more about Woods than the Patriots do, which is where my entire problem with your opinion comes from.

Going out on a crazy limb here with an all-time prediction (feel free to copy, use in the future, reference when talking about stupid predictions, etc) :

If the 2009 Patriots do NOT win the SB, the OLB situation will not be the main reason.

Am I in love with Woods ? No. But as previously mentionned by craploads of posters : every team can moan about some aspect of their team. Even before the salary cap era, teams had SOME weaknessness.

Point : if the Pats could win the Superbowl with Troy Brown on D, Earthwind Moreland on D (yes, he didn't make it all the way to the end, but...) - I have a feeling they can do it with Woods.

But this is an internet public forum. You should know better;)

Oh no. the linebackers are always good. Must not question them, they will be great again.:D

Oh no. the linebackers are always good. Must not question them, they will be great again.:D

Well, eventually they probably will be, probability-wise.

Well, eventually they probably will be, probability-wise.

The probability increases with expenditures made. We have three that required money or a decent pick. Probability wise, that is.

*4 including Bru, but I think he's about ready to go out to pasture*

The race might not always be to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet.

Of course we've seen many swift and strong that couldn't play football consistently, so amend the quote appropriately.

Of course we've seen many swift and strong that couldn't play football consistently, so amend the quote appropriately.

"Yankees suck!"

?

Does anyone realize that Woods was a three-year starter for the Yellowbellies and had a breakout sophomore season. Then his productivity kept going down.

Here's his sophomore year: 68/14/7
Here's his senior year: 24/10/2.5
Here's junior season was in between. Source: Scout.com: Pierre Woods Profile

The teachers kept telling me they were looking for improvement, not regression.

Does anyone realize that Woods was a three-year starter for the Yellowbellies and had a breakout sophomore season. Then his productivity kept going down.

Here's his sophomore year: 68/14/7
Here's his senior year: 24/10/2.5
Here's junior season was in between. Source: Scout.com: Pierre Woods Profile

The teachers kept telling me they were looking for improvement, not regression.

Improvement while with the Pats. It doesn't really matter what he did in college. What matters is what our staff thinks he can do for us.

Improvement while with the Pats. It doesn't really matter what he did in college. What matters is what our staff thinks he can do for us.
I don't know what you saw, but when he was in there he got blown off the line in a big hurry.

In college? So what? That was 3+ years ago.

I think what they did in college does matter in evaluating backup players. Look at the college performance of past Patriots starters at linebacker.

Had they given more credence to what Bethel Johnson lacked in college they might not have spent that choice.

Having said that, there seemed to be a favoritism problem at Michigan with the coach. Nevertheless, ignoring how a player performed when given the chance in college is ludicrous.

Certainly how a player actually performed and his attitude towards football, as opposed to measurables, is of paramount importance to BB.

Nevertheless, ignoring how a player performed when given the chance in college is ludicrous.

When you're investing a draft pick in a guy, I agree. When you get the guy off the street and he performs well for you on a regular basis, I disagree. Also, at worst, Woods' college performance is mixed, not horrendous. Throw in some of the weird coaching going on at Michigan and you've got a recipe for getting a decent player for practically no investment. That's smart team-building.

When you're investing a draft pick in a guy, I agree. When you get the guy off the street and he performs well for you on a regular basis, I disagree. Also, at worst, Woods' college performance is mixed, not horrendous. Throw in some of the weird coaching going on at Michigan and you've got a recipe for getting a decent player for practically no investment. That's smart team-building.

I'm not anti Woods, I was a big booster based on his early preseason-SP play. I'm hoping he and Crable give us what we need.

If we're going to discuss our prospects seriously though, we need to admit it's hope more than evidence, which is what we have at most positions.

There's no doubt that there are players who practice well that just don't make it as starters. Players that start and succeed all through college usually do well in the pros too, but also have high price tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back