PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods as our starting OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a fumble recovery. If you recover the ball on the ground, and no one is around you, you have possession. As soon as the defender touched him, he was down. Bad call by the refs.

And even worse NO CHALLENGE by Belichick, one of many mistakes BB made that game.

It's funny how many times people have complained about him losing that fumble, yet fail to point out like you did that once he was touched, the play was dead, NE ball.

He'd have been better off trying to get up and run on that play, that was a brutal non call AND non challenge by BB.

Not trying to throw the OP under the bus here by the way as I happen to agree with him 100% on the whole Woods as a starter concerns.

If Woods is starting on opening day, I'm not going to have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it...........

Watch some old games and single in on him, Woods GETS BLOWN OFF THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE with great regularity, he can not get to the QB, he can not stop the run, and yes, he can not hold onto a fumble.......

If Woods is the starting OLB, or even in a rotation, this team is hurtin...

I can only assume with the trade of Vrabel, that BB is convinced that Crable can do the job.

Old games except last year if you mean ? As i mentioned he played with wright on the left side and they held the side as good as vrabel and ty warran.

Watch some old games and single in on him, Woods GETS BLOWN OFF THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE with great regularity, he can not get to the QB, he can not stop the run

I saw Woods as sufficient at stopping the run & setting the edge well, from preseason through the end of the year. Woods area in need of improvement is a consistent pass rush. But maybe that's where Crable/TBC step in.

They would not have traded Vrabel if they didn't think Woods could start in the base defense and play well.

Last edited:
I love this forum. BB signs and develops an undrafted FA OLB who can work hard and contribute and people are complaining about it. Just like he turned a 7th round pick in the form of Cassel into a 2nd rounder and a solid contributor.

I mean, that's exactly how to build a team and work the draft. Shows how much people still don't understand football, even after years of BB as coach.

s/Cassel/Woods
No one ever doubted Cassel's physical skills. I never did. I remember talking to co-workers how closely he resembled Brady. He simply couldn't get on the field with two Heisman Trophy winners beating him out. That's all.

Simply put, Woods, good guy and all, is not the answer at OLB. We're hurting at that position.

Don't blindly trust. Tully Banta-Cain, Pierre Woods, Adalius Thomas, Crable...if we can get two quality starters out of that group, fine; however Woods is not one of them.

No one ever doubted Cassel's physical skills. I never did. I remember talking to co-workers how closely he resembled Brady. He simply couldn't get on the field with two Heisman Trophy winners beating him out. That's all.

Baloney. You obviously weren't around last preseason. Don't make things up.

Simply put, Woods, good guy and all, is not the answer at OLB. We're hurting at that position.

Nobody really knows if he's the answer yet or not. But he's definitely in the mix as part of the rotation.

Don't blindly trust. Tully Banta-Cain, Pierre Woods, Adalius Thomas, Crable...if we can get two quality starters out of that group, fine; however Woods is not one of them.

Nobody's trusting blindly. I am saying, simply and clearly, that turning an undrafted FA into a solid contributor and potential starter is precisely the right way to build your team. The fact that Woods is even in the mix to start speaks very well of both him and BB. Obviously BB and others think Crable might be more physically talented, based on draft position.

Keep it up and you're going to be known as State Hospital.

Last edited:
Baloney. You obviously weren't around last preseason. Don't make things up.

Nobody really knows if he's the answer yet or not. But he's definitely in the mix as part of the rotation.

Nobody's trusting blindly. I am saying, simply and clearly, that turning an undrafted FA into a solid contributor and potential starter is precisely the right way to build your team. The fact that Woods is even in the mix to start speaks very well of both him and BB. Obviously BB and others think Crable might be more physically talented, based on draft position.

Keep it up and you're going to be known as State Hospital.

I think what the guy is saying is it's ridiculous that we're depending on that UDFA

They would not have traded Vrabel if they didn't think Woods could start in the base defense and play well.

Not sure I agree the Vrabel trade said anything about Woods. Vrabel can't play at anywhere near a level equal to his compensation anymore so he was gone either by trade or he was going to be cut.

The fact that most of the offseason has gone by and the team has stood pat at OLB rather than overpay in $ or draft picks for an available veteran is a better indicator about how BB feels about his young OLBs.

This is bullsh*t. I don't believe it for one second.:rolleyes: There's nothing about Cassel's throwing motion that reminds me of Brady. There's nothing about Cassel's pocket presence that reminds me of Brady. There's nothing about Cassel that reminds me of Brady.

State, forgive me because I don't know you and my reaction to it would be the same no matter who submitted it, so it's not a personal attack.

This is bullsh*t. I don't believe it for one second.:rolleyes: There's nothing about Cassel's throwing motion that reminds me of Brady. There's nothing about Cassel's pocket presence that reminds me of Brady. There's nothing about Cassel that reminds me of Brady.

State, forgive me because I don't know you and my reaction to it would be the same no matter who submitted it, so it's not a personal attack.
Cassel certainly looked the part and almost beat out a guy who was drafted very early in the first round. He's a physical stud. I thought so at the time.

If you don't believe me, there's nothing I can say to alleviate your doubts, other than to say, "Trust me. I was a Boy Scout."

Nobody really knows if he's [Peter Woods] the answer yet or not. But he's definitely in the mix as part of the rotation.
Until he starts playing, then you'll see him yanked.

Because you started this same BS argument in the other thread and were schooled there. And not just by me. Yes, everyone has their opinions. But there are such things as BIASED or unsupported opinions. State admitted that his opinion was biased. It was proven that your opinion was unsupported by facts.
Sure pal, my argument was BS and you and Apple Strudel really schooled me. :rolleyes: According to you and people that defend Woods and BB think my opinions were unsupported by facts. Nobody is right or wrong in this argument and that goes for you who like to tell people they are wrong. Sorry but stats don't lie to me, 3 LB's drafted in the first three rounds in 9 years BB has been a head coach. The Pats defense are 0-2 since 2004 on game winning drives. Take that which ever way you choose.

Its amazing how people like yourself scream bloody murder when people say your opinion sucks, yet are the first people to attack others opinions. See, what you forget is that I am allowed to voice MY opinion as well. And usually, when I do, I have some factual basis to support me.
Here's why I said Maverick4's opinion sucks because he was the first to crack and call me a troll. When you do that, you automatically lose the argument because you can't keep your cool. That is the only person I can remember. Other than that, I don't attack anybody's opinion because I like the back and forth chatter. I haven't called your argument stupid or Apple Strudel who has also been arguing with me.

Your claim that Woods hasn't done enough to get the coaching staff to find a role for him is BS. First off, the guy earned his way onto the team from being a UDFA. He's been a top special teamer since joining the team. And last year, he was the primary back-up at OLB. That, in and of itself, proves you wrong.

I know the guy has been on special teams but never saw him make any impact plays. Either I don't pay attention to kick-offs or Woods really was invisible on special teams. But unfortunately, the only time I remember Woods on special teams, is when he gave up that fumble to Amhad Bradshaw. Woods was the primary backup because they didn't sign anybody in '08 at OLB and Crable went to IR. As of then, Woods was the primary back up by default.

I realize that neither YOU nor State actually understand how the Patriots coaching staff limited both Woods and Mayo in their duties last season but there are plenty of people who recognized it. And plenty of people who recognized that Mayo, for as well as he played, still has a ton of growing to do for the position. Just like Woods does.

They really limited Mayo, that's why is got over 100 tackles as a starting MLB. Yes, Mayo still has stuff to work on like being a better blitzer and working on his coverage skills.

*Like I said DaBruinz, Woods is going to get his chance to prove either you or me wrong. So until then, neither of us are wrong. If you don't like what we present, that's your problem.

*Also, there are more people than you think that agree with me that Woods isn't a starting caliber LB. I just might create a thread to settle this once and for all. No arguments, just one word answers. And I promise you, nobody will be wrong.

Last edited:
Cassel certainly looked the part and almost beat out a guy who was drafted very early in the first round. He's a physical stud. I thought so at the time.

If you don't believe me, there's nothing I can say to alleviate your doubts, other than to say, "Trust me. I was a Boy Scout."

Respect. This is far different from what you put in the post that I responded to. I never said that Cassel is not a physical stud. I said that nothing about Cassel reminds me of Brady.

I'm glad you got to be a boyscout, honestly. I always wanted to be, but I never had the opportunity. I still think about that every now and again.

Last edited:
Sorry but stats don't lie to me, 3 LB's drafted in the first three rounds in 9 years BB has been a head coach. The Pats defense are 0-2 since 2004 on game winning drives. Take that which ever way you choose.

It's not the statistic that lies, it's the interpreter of the statistic. If anything the number of LBs drafted indicate a combination of low perceived need and low perceived value. You'd be hard pressed to establish causation of drafted LBs to losses on game winning drives in any serious way.

When you do that, you automatically lose the argument because you can't keep your cool.

If somebody makes a correct statement (not saying you're a troll, though I'm tempted), but not coolly, they lose the argument? No. Right is right, regardless of perceived panache.

I know the guy has been on special teams but never saw him make any impact plays. Either I don't pay attention to kick-offs or Woods really was invisible on special teams.

He's doing his job, not messing up. A lot of players don't do that.

Woods was the primary backup because they didn't sign anybody in '08 at OLB and Crable went to IR.

Causation could be reversed.

When Woods was playing for the Yellowbellies he was largely a non-entity, which maybe explains why he went undrafted.

When skinny Tom played for the Yellowbellies and G-d's team, Michigan State, had a huge, commanding lead when the Yellowbellies had some hack QB Drew Hanson mediocely playing...well, Tommie comes in late in the game and nearly pulls it out notwithstanding the 3 TD deficit.

I knew all about Tom Brady before you...had....a.......freakin'.............clue.

College experience - good or bad - doesn't necessarily translate into NFL success or failure.

Pierre Woods has improved each year he's been with us and did an adequate job last year when he was given the oppurtunity to start. You can't simply write him off.

They really limited Mayo, that's why is got over 100 tackles as a starting MLB.

I assume you're being sarcastic, otherwise be careful BRO.

Mayo himself said in an interview last month that he was limited by the coaches till he could learn the defense.

"Now I guess it's time for me to step up," said Woods.

I guess you'd be right, Pete. Patriots linebacker Woods has more than an outside shot - The Boston Globe

Commenting on his not-so-rigorous academic courseload at "the Harvard of the Midwest," Woods commented on taking fifteen credits of Ojibwe, an Indian dialect, with a "laid back" professor McCue, who "challenged you to remember the Ojibwe language."

You don't say, Pierre? Now don't make too much if he can't remember a single word.

Football responsibilities overrode Pierre Woods' other aspirations University of Michigan Academics and Athletics - MLive.com

A Teddy Bruschi this guy is not. He reminds me of Katzenmoyer who nearly flunked AIDS awareness at Ohio State.

"Now I guess it's time for me to step up," said Woods.

I guess you'd be right, Pete. Patriots linebacker Woods has more than an outside shot - The Boston Globe

Commenting on his not-so-rigorous academic courseload at "the Harvard of the Midwest," Woods commented on taking fifteen credits of Ojibwe, an Indian dialect, with a "laid back" professor McCue, who "challenged you to remember the Ojibwe language."

You don't say, Pierre? Now don't make too much if he can't remember a single word.

Football responsibilities overrode Pierre Woods' other aspirations University of Michigan Academics and Athletics - MLive.com

A Teddy Bruschi this guy is not. He reminds me of Katzenmoyer who nearly flunked AIDS awareness at Ohio State.

Will you be around in November? Im just curious, because all the people who argued with me about Cassel seemed to have disappeared, and im hoping to take THIS argument up with you in Nov. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL RECAP
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft