Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which WR would you take at 34?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the 3rd round take Jalen McMillan or reunite Drake Maye with his NC teammates Devontez Walker.

Johnny Wilson, Jermaine Burton or Malik Washington will likely still be there in the third.

Take an offensive tackle with the second pick, I'd prefer Patrick Paul but Kingsley Suamataia is also a load.
One of the big things the draft press has been saying to pump up Drake Maye is "Yeah, he looked bad at times but that's because his weapons sucked." So the last thing I want to do is draft any of his weapons. Plus, Walker looked really bad at Senior Bowl practices.

One of the big things the draft press has been saying to pump up Drake Maye is "Yeah, he looked bad at times but that's because his weapons sucked." So the last thing I want to do is draft any of his weapons. Plus, Walker looked really bad at Senior Bowl practices.
Maye also struggled, mainly struggled in college, because his line sucked.

Build a great line first, take weapons afterwards.

I love, love, love McConkey. Major Edelman vibes from him. But he's more of a slot WR, and we need an X. So I picked Mitchell. Who is also one of my binkies.
I think Ladd can do it all. Both have injury concerns which is why they likely dropped out of round 1, but I'd be thrilled with either.

In the 3rd round take Jalen McMillan or reunite Drake Maye with his NC teammates Devontez Walker.

Johnny Wilson, Jermaine Burton or Malik Washington will likely still be there in the third.

Take an offensive tackle with the second pick, I'd prefer Patrick Paul but Kingsley Suamataia is also a load.
Jermaine Burton ave 20.5 yards per catch and had 8 TDS. He also has large hands close to 10".

That's the kind of big play capability we need. He is my favorite Wr from the remaining players available

I'd rather have Aiyuk. But Deebo would also look great in a Patriots uniform.

Two years ago, I would jump at taking Samuel. Not now. Maybe for a day three pick. Not giving up much more than that for him now. I think he has too many miles and too injured for the type of player he is. He is a guy who could be done at 30 like a RB. And let's face it. He had one awesome year and has never lived up to that level since.

And his salary is ridiculous for the type of production he has produced the last few years.

Jermaine Burton ave 20.5 yards per catch and had 8 TDS. He also has large hands close to 10".

That's the kind of big play capability we need. He is my favorite Wr from the remaining players available
Like Burton, like Jalen McMillan, McConkey, Malachi Corley, Troy Franklin, Roman Wilson, Devontez Walker... there's a lot of good WR's left.

There's fewer blue chip OT's on the board. Take a LT with the next pick and move up to target some WR's afterwards if you want.

Like Burton, like Jalen McMillan, McConkey, Malachi Corley, Troy Franklin, Roman Wilson, Devontez Walker... there's a lot of good WR's left.

There's fewer blue chip OT's on the board. Take a LT with the next pick and move up to target some WR's afterwards if you want.
I agree that OT needs be the pick. A slight trade down would be great.

I'd also be happy with BPA here and take either Cooper or Fiske on Def

Adonai Mitchell
Ladd McConkey
Keon Coleman

Troy Franklin
Javon Baker
Jalen Coker
Luke McCaffrey
Brenden Rice

I agree that OT needs be the pick. A slight trade down would be great.

I'd also be happy with BPA here and take either Cooper or Fiske on Def
I don’t want to get too tricky, but they could trade back a little. If Paul gets taken Kingsley would be a solid backup plan.

But if they like the player they should take Paul, there’s a little bit of a drop off at OT after him, there’s a bunch of athletic guys who need a year in the strength and conditioning program.

I like Frank Crum later but would love it if they took Paul now and Crum later. Leave nothing to chance…

I don’t want to get too tricky, but they could trade back a little. If Paul gets taken Kingsley would be a solid backup plan.

But if they like the player they should take Paul, there’s a little bit of a drop off at OT after him, there’s a bunch of athletic guys who need a year in the strength and conditioning program.

I like Frank Crum later but would love it if they took Paul now and Crum later. Leave nothing to chance…
With everyone left at OT Paul is the most interesting so I agree, no need to get tricky take the best OT prospect here then take the top remaining WR with the next pick

I think Ladd can do it all. Both have injury concerns which is why they likely dropped out of round 1, but I'd be thrilled with either.
Won't ladd be overlapping in duties with bourne and douglas ? Don't we need someone on the outside ?

Two years ago, I would jump at taking Samuel. Not now. Maybe for a day three pick. Not giving up much more than that for him now. I think he has too many miles and too injured for the type of player he is. He is a guy who could be done at 30 like a RB. And let's face it. He had one awesome year and has never lived up to that level since.

And his salary is ridiculous for the type of production he has produced the last few years.
Deebo only makes sense to me if the 49ers are looking at it as dumping his guaranteed salary to free up cash and future cap to re-sign Aiyuk. Like…day 3 pick value. It seems harsh, but that’s the reality for these top-heavy teams as soon as one of their big money guys starts to underperform.

Deebo only makes sense for me as a cheaper compensation option. Diggs just went for a 25 2nd (and the Texans got back a 5 and 6). Jeudy just went for a 5+6. If they give up anything more than a mid to late 3 for Deebo I think they've had their pants pulled down.

With the 34th pick of the NFL draft, the Patriots select Kingsley Sumataiyayayayaya.

Do not give up the pick for anyone. Take an OT. Take Malachi Corley at 68. As much as I'd love Mitchell, protect The Kid.
As much as I am a WR nut, I can't disagree with the need to take OT. Forgot about Corley (the supposed Deebo comp with 4.9% drop rate). If they somehow take him, I can see Zap winning the starting job initially.

Forgot to mention Adonai Mitchell's 1.7% drop rate:

Our next WR is whichever WR we trade for or sign in free agency.

I guess that's harsh, because we are likely to take a shot later, but probably not in the second or third.

I'd rather have Aiyuk. But Deebo would also look great in a Patriots uniform.

People that have watched the 49ers would tell you they are getting tired of Samuel’s unreliability. It would be idiotic to trade Aiyuk and keep Samuel.

WR Adonai Mitchell
WR Ladd McConkey
WR Keon Coleman
So I looked at all three of them on youtube just to get some first impressions.

Adonai Mitchell - looks like your X receiver. Can go deep, run all the routes, and make all the plays. Good speed that the defense must respect. 9.97 RAS is also outstanding.
1714147786170.png

Ladd McConkey - feels like a bigger Douglas. energetic, lots of wiggle. would be a headache to defend in the slot or open spaces. He's a super Z. Comes off small on film but he just makes plays.

Keon Coleman - I was wary because the first catches shown were contested catches but that's not all he's got in his bag. he can find spots in the zone to get wide open, and he also runs with physicality and nasty after the catch. best balls to him are high up where only he can get it and defenders have no chance against him. he's no n'keal harry.

Honestly even though McConkey looks like the most polished route runner, for our needs, I'd go with AD Mitchell or Coleman first, with Mitchell getting the final nod because of his deep speed. Coleman to me feels like Anquan Boldin, a guy who will feast on corners with superior physicality. Meanwhile Mitchell will run right past those corners.

It's not that I don't like McConkey, he's very good. He just duplicates what we already have in Douglas. I'd rather go with the X in Mitchell or the very physical Y receiver in Coleman.

If the Patriots trade down about 10 spots and still land Coleman or McConkey, I'm comfortable with that move. If they stay at #34 and take AD Mitchell, I'm also happy with that move and I'm surprised that he has lasted until round 2.

Videos examined for my very quick conclusions:
Mitchell:
McConkey:
Coleman:

Last edited:
I'd stay away from Deebo. Highly paid and unreliable just isn't something I'd splurge for with the type of team we have. We have to develop players and the vets need to help provide the on-field support for that development. You can't help a young QB develop from the sideline injured. We aren't good enough to be "load managing" guys. It just doesn't line up for us, IMO.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back