PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you have to look at what has happened in the lead up to your pick, and who is on the board. Right now about 8 OT’s and 617 WR’s are off the board, so you are taking the 9th best OT, or 7th or 8th best WR, when the best Center in the class, and 2nd best DT, are available. as examples. I get completely that the Patriots have needs at WR and OT, and I understand why people want them to take those positions. However, if you make all of your decisions based solely upon need, and end up taking much lesser players to fill those needs, then you end up with a team filled with lesser players. The Ravens and the Eagles are 2 of the best drafting teams overall, and when I’m watching them draft they are going for BPA, not solely, but overall they are taking the better players, and it shows.

Of the top tiers at WR and OT there are still some players left, such as McConkey, Mitchell, and Patrick Paul. If the Patriots stay put at 34 I won’t be surprised if they take one, although Buffalo is likely to take Mitchell. But I think the likelihood is that they trade down to pick up more picks. At that point the dynamics change, and the tiers change, and there could be really good prospects there when they pick that match their needs.

So as I said earlier I would take Powers-Johnson, but I won’t be bummed out if they take Paul, McConkey. Same goes for DeJean and Bewton. You are getting first round talent with your second round pick, so I’m fine with that.
I'd add that next year's FA class should be better than this year's, and yes, we're in a multi-year rebuild.

Draft guys that settle positions for a long time with true quality. If they take a corner, a DT, a Center...whatever...who is a clear first-round talent, well, good!

At 34 (or slight trade down,) I like Patrick Paul, Jerzhan Newton, Kool Aid or Rakestraw whichever they like better at CB or Edgerrin Cooper. Paul is enormous and athletic and mean. Newton is a beast on the DL. Putting him with Barmore and White and Godchaux would have a sick DL, We definitely need a help in the DB alongside Gonzalez. Cooper is a 3 down LB who brings a pop. I would prefer they add more to the offense, but I would rather take the 2nd or 3rd DL/LB/CB instead of the 8th WR
The Pats have the 2nd pick in the round, and with teams being able to reset their boards overnight, the Pats will have ample opportunities to trade down if they choose.

But again, we're fine there with Barmore, Godchaux and all the backups.
Ok, so the draft is suddenly only about 2024. For 2025 and 2026, we need someone next to Barmore much more than a wide receiver to add to
the top WR by trade
Douglas
Osborne and/or the 2025 signing
Bourne

I wouldn't be in favor or taking Sinott when Abrams-Draine or Hart are right there for the taking, but if all those tackles are gone, then we're certainly not going tackle there either.

I have to believe Amegadijie is going to fall into the 3rd round. He's pretty raw.

After watching Rosengarten in the championship game, I want no part of him. He was horrifically bad. Anyone can have a bad game, but it was such a bad performance that I want no part of him.
I like Kiran. Very similar physically and tenacious like Kingsley but yes a project.

The new kid Maye has to look at the WR roster and say "these guys are not elite for sure. I had #9 Tez at Carolina and he was better than any of these guys (maybe I can talk Mayo into getting him in the third?Hmm) What miracles do they want from me?"
FYI, Tez had drop problems, which is the reason why 1st rounder Reagor on the Pats is worse than a JAG ATM.

Ideally we select our LT at 34 and select Tez at 68. Then next year we get Maye's other favorite target Nesbit in the 1st round lol

Ok, so the draft is suddenly only about 2024. For 2025 and 2026, we need someone next to Barmore much more than a wide receiver to add to
the top WR by trade
Douglas
Osborne and/or the 2025 signing
Bourne
Is Godchaux leaving next year? The best way to get a #1 WR is to draft one.

I have changed my mind about round 2 pick. If the Pats feel there is a starting LT available, take him first! Then trade up in round 3 for best available WR.

Is Godchaux leaving next year? The best way to get a #1 WR is to draft one.
Godchaux is a free agent. You want to draft a WR at 34 make him our #1, OK. Then we should absouteltey stop trying to trade for a WR after we make the pick.

Godchaux is a free agent. You want to draft a WR at 34 make him our #1, OK. Then we should absouteltey stop trying to trade for a WR after we make the pick.
Maybe one of these guys like Osborn or Bourne could be our #2, but given Douglas's size, he's clearly a #3.

I have to say I'm surprised that people are ranking TE Sinnott as a possible 3rd rounder for us when TE Sanders would be still available. Sanders is a big body who can block and he can fly. He's very underrated in this draft.

I originally thought: QB, OT, WR was the route.

But the OL and particularly OT ran quick. I think I saw on one guys mock that 2 DBs left on board are rated 19, 26 overall. The next available OL is 68 on that guys board. So for me pick 34 buys a DB cheap and an OL expensive

So I say now wait on the OL til 4th end (2x if necessary) or trade up into 3d; but get a DB now.

What does everyone think about Brendan Rice? I wouldn't hate the pick at 34 although it does seem like a slight reach given the talent on the board.

They just passed on Adonai Mitchell and traded back!!! Is BB running this draft?

You may get your wish. Suamataia had a Top 30 visit with the Pats.

Other Top 30s for OT(...ish):

Blake Fisher (~2nd/3rd)
Caedan Wallace (~6th)
Travis Glover (~7th)
Darrell Simpson (~UDFA)
Giovanni Manu (~UDFA)
Donovan Jennings (~UDFA)
Man they are not messin' around with their guys (very familiar....), since even though consensus has CWall in the 6th (or even later), there are a couple of mocks of his going in the 3rd.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back