PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greedy: I Want the Next Two Seasons to be the Best in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty99

On the Roster
Reaction score
5 Super Bowl wins have been great, majestic, heart-pounding, special. Of course. But as a fan, I look at the roster, at the moves Belichick has made so far this off-season, and truly believe that with just a few more bold moves, the next two seasons (and perhaps even the next 3 or 4 seasons) can eclipse what has already been accomplished.

How so, you ask? First, let's start with 19-0. Of course, New England was within a whisper of accomplishing this goal. It's on the table now and if Belichick makes these few remaining bold moves, it could quite possibly happen. There will always will some luck involved in a perfect season, but it's there and within reach.

Also consider all of New England's Super Bowl wins -- tight, down to the wire. How about domination, a blow out victory that begins the debate about the best team in NFL history? Sure, all this is excessive, greedy, and simply too much to ask or even consider -- except in New England's case, with its roster, its head coach (best ever), and its starting QB (best ever).

Being the best you can be, chasing greatness at its highest level, separating who you are and what you've accomplished, is what elite franchises do.

So, let's begin the chase. Let's play hardball and put together the most talented roster in Patriot history --

You know where it begins. While some want to keep the backup QB, there's a desperate team (Cleveland) with multiple draft picks and a huge need for a QB. They've let it be known they're interested. Belichick has played this perfectly. At one point, getting pick #12 in the first round was thought to be a great deal for NE. Now, most reporters believe Cleveland is willing to give up #12 and another 2nd round pick - and perhaps even more than that. So play hardball with these guys, wait until just before the draft and get the most possible value.

Here is what I think NE will get --

Cleveland's 1st round pick (#12); Cleveland's 2nd round pick (#33) Cleveland's 2nd round pick (#52).

Next, you play hardball with New Orleans. Either they give up their pick (#11 1st round) for Malcolm Butler, or he comes back. Either way, the Patriots are in great shape -- they keep Butler for another year and have two great corners, or they have pick #11 and select an elite CB in the draft.

For discussion sake, let's say NO does agree to give up #11. Here would be New England's haul:

1st round: #11 & #12
2nd round: #33 & #52
3rd round: #72 & #96
4th round: #131
5th round: #163 & #183
6th round: #200
7th round: #239

That's 11 overall picks in a loaded draft. It gives Belichick the ability to move up and down in a way he never has. On defense, you can get a pass rusher, corner, linebacker. On offense, you can get a running back, tight end, tackle, and guard, perhaps even another young QB to develop. With that many picks, you can target someone you don't even need. Example? John Ross, WR with 4.22 speed. Think he and Cooks might be a combo of speed never seen before in the NFL? Who are you favorite players in this year's draft? NE would have the resources to get anyone it wanted. The Patriots would have so much talent. So much young talent. So much young cheap talent under contract for years to come.

I really think Belichick is getting ready to pull this off. He's ready to pounce. If he does, New England would be in a position to exceed its already remarkable, lofty accomplishments.

As a fan, how can you not be dreaming this dream?

Last edited:
19-0 does not mean much except to the drug addled mind of Mercury Morris, prison can play tricks on your brain... there is no prize for achieving that goal...

Say this draft scenario does play out, are there 8-9 open positions on this team for rookies??.. If something similar goes down(which I doubt), some of this capital would be extended to the 2018 draft...

19-0 does not mean much except to the drug addled mind of Mercury Morris, prison can play tricks on your brain... there is no prize for achieving that goal...

Say this draft scenario does play out, are there 8-9 open positions on this team for rookies??.. If something similar goes down(which I doubt), some of this capital would be extended to the 2018 draft...
Well... there is a prize for achieving 19-0.

No matter how great someone is, there is always a time that they failed. I view 2007 like that. But that means they are free to win 6 or 7 Super Bowls. Even if they never get back, it has been a magical ride.

To be honest with you, I'm REALLY happy with how 2 out of the last 3 seasons have panned out. Anything on top of that is just gravy. I root and hope we win the championship every year, but I know nothing is guaranteed and injuries unfortunately happen, and are the great equalizer. 2015 season is an example. Stay healthy and this team could beat anyone. Relatively healthy in 2014 & 2016 and they won it all. Overcoming Gronk's loss was amazing and great foresight on Belichick's behalf to have the depth to do it.

One game at a time folks.

This team doesn't need to go 19-0 for its legacy but I'd be lying if I said I'm not cheering for it to happen.

Besides... it will make Mercury Morris and the rest of them irrelevant.

If they win the next Super Bowl, it would be 3 out of 4. Think about it....

In 2001, they were playing an NFC West team that was on the verge of itself becoming a dynasty. "A dynasty is born tonight", said Ricky Proehl. The Rams had been the dominant team in the NFL from 1999-2001, and were gunning for their 2nd title in 3 years. The best single unit in the NFL that year (their offense). The Patriots won a thrilling victory, which launched them into a 3-in-4 championship run.

In 2014, they were playing an NFC West team that was on the verge of itself becoming a dynasty. The Seahawks had been the dominant team in the NFL from 2012-2014, and were gunning for their second straight championship. The best single unit in the NFL that year (their defense). The Patriots won a thrilling victory, which launched them into a 2-in-3 (and hopefully 3-in-4) championship run.

It would be an absolutely sweet revisiting of history for the Patriots to do from 2014-2017 what they did from 2001-2004.

I'm just happy they won 2 of 3. Imagine if they didn't win either? The Patriot haters would be insufferable and we'd still hear the 0 wins since spygate line....
Your post reminded me that about a year before we won our 4th title, I went to one of the Jets forums (can't remember which one) to see for a second what real misery looks like and they had a massive thread that they have been nurturing for years about how we can't win a championship after spygate. I bet it's gone now.

The last few years have been satisfying on so many levels. Obviously, I want us to continue to win as much as possible and I'm sure the GOAT has at least one more title and 3-5 good years left in him but nothing and no one can take from Pats what they already accomplished - The biggest dynasty in NFL (and maybe in all sports) history and everything from now on is a big tasty icing on the cake.

I'm fine with that dream. It is, shall we say, slightly optimistic about many things, but that is what dreams are for.

In general, I'm right with you about jumping on this existing 2 out of 3 and making it 4 out of 5 and letting Brady coast out of here after that. At this point, the NFL is starting to suffer from Pats' domination, and the other owners must just be frustrated beyond imagination. Let's turn up the heat on that even more. If the Pats win the SB next year, even the announcers are going to be tired of it, and I'll love it.

Then have Belichick win one with another QB, and I'll happily retire from NFL fandom with a permanent smile.

5 Super Bowl wins have been great, majestic, heart-pounding, special. Of course. But as a fan, I look at the roster, at the moves Belichick has made so far this off-season, and truly believe that with just a few more bold moves, the next two seasons (and perhaps even the next 3 or 4 seasons) can eclipse what has already been accomplished.

How so, you ask? First, let's start with 19-0. Of course, New England was within a whisper of accomplishing this goal. It's on the table now and if Belichick makes these few remaining bold moves, it could quite possibly happen. There will always will some luck involved in a perfect season, but it's there and within reach.

Also consider all of New England's Super Bowl wins -- tight, down to the wire. How about domination, a blow out victory that begins the debate about the best team in NFL history? Sure, all this is excessive, greedy, and simply too much to ask or even consider -- except in New England's case, with its roster, its head coach (best ever), and its starting QB (best ever).

Being the best you can be, chasing greatness at its highest level, separating who you are and what you've accomplished, is what elite franchises do.

So, let's begin the chase. Let's play hardball and put together the most talented roster in Patriot history --

You know where it begins. While some want to keep the backup QB, there's a desperate team (Cleveland) with multiple draft picks and a huge need for a QB. They've let it be known they're interested. Belichick has played this perfectly. At one point, getting pick #12 in the first round was thought to be a great deal for NE. Now, most reporters believe Cleveland is willing to give up #12 and another 2nd round pick - and perhaps even more than that. So play hardball with these guys, wait until just before the draft and get the most possible value.

Here is what I think NE will get --

Cleveland's 1st round pick (#12); Cleveland's 2nd round pick (#33) Cleveland's 2nd round pick (#52).

Next, you play hardball with New Orleans. Either they give up their pick (#11 1st round) for Malcolm Butler, or he comes back. Either way, the Patriots are in great shape -- they keep Butler for another year and have two great corners, or they have pick #11 and select an elite CB in the draft.

For discussion sake, let's say NO does agree to give up #11. Here would be New England's haul:

1st round: #11 & #12
2nd round: #33 & #52
3rd round: #72 & #96
4th round: #131
5th round: #163 & #183
6th round: #200
7th round: #239

That's 11 overall picks in a loaded draft. It gives Belichick the ability to move up and down in a way he never has. On defense, you can get a pass rusher, corner, linebacker. On offense, you can get a running back, tight end, tackle, and guard, perhaps even another young QB to develop. With that many picks, you can target someone you don't even need. Example? John Ross, WR with 4.22 speed. Think he and Cooks might be a combo of speed never seen before in the NFL? Who are you favorite players in this year's draft? NE would have the resources to get anyone it wanted. The Patriots would have so much talent. So much young talent. So much young cheap talent under contract for years to come.

I really think Belichick is getting ready to pull this off. He's ready to pounce. If he does, New England would be in a position to exceed its already remarkable, lofty accomplishments.

As a fan, how can you not be dreaming this dream?

Can we please stop with the 19-0 ****? There's a reason it's never happened and it cheapens what the 2007 squad was actually able to accomplish.

The fact that 19-0 has never been accomplished is exactly why its such an interesting goal.

And the fact is what else is there for Brady/BB/Patriots to accomplish?

In Brady's 15 years as a started(neglecting 2000 and 2008) he has been to 11 AFCCGs. Including the last 6 :eek:. He has won the Super Bowl 5/15 and been to the Super Bowl 7/15. So for Brady its basically a coin flip if he will make it to a Super Bowl in a given year:eek:

And there are really at least 3 seasons where the Patriots were close(including the last 2).

2007: enough said
2015: 10-0 until the offense fell apart due to injuries.
2016: 14-2, clearly would have been 15-1 if Brady is not suspended. And if Brady isn't suspended maybe they win the Seattle game due to Brady having more time to practice with Bennet and Hogan. Or being more motivated to punch the tying TD in to preserve the perfect season.

Now look at what BB has done in the past off season, and in fact the 2016 offseason as well.

Offense is clearly better than the 2015 offense that started the season 10-0. Added Cooks, a true #1 receiver. Replaced Lafell with Hogan(Hogan is better than 2015 Lafell), added Mitchell(had 7 catches in the Super Bowl), added Allen so the offense won't fall apart without Gronk and provides capability for 2 TE sets with legit TEs. Added Burkhead, more of a dual threat than Ridley, remember that Blount didn't join until after the team was 10-0. Would like to see another "larger" RB added in the draft

The current defense is at least as good as the 2016 defense that was #1 ppg :eek:. Returning all the major pieces and replaced Logan Ryan with Gilmore :eek:. Would like to see another DE/pass rusher added for rotational depth.

Really there isn't any real weakness. If you trade JG for a 1st and 2 2nds, and keep Butler, we would have an awesome offense + defense, oh and 5 top 100 picks in a loaded draft to add depth to prevent a break down in case of injuries. And quite frankly our offense is already far more robust to injuries in the 1st place with 4 quality receivers (3 with experience with Brady) + Amendola as good for a #5 option.

So quite frankly 16-0 is a realistic goal. And BB needs some reason to get out of bed in the morning after 11 AFCCG appearances and 5 super bowl wins :p

Can we please stop with the 19-0 ****? There's a reason it's never happened and it cheapens what the 2007 squad was actually able to accomplish.

What did they accomplish again? All I remember is heartache and disappointment. It's championship or bust. We've had 5 successful seasons, and that's it. I've certainly found enjoyment as a fan in other seasons, and I've been proud of the team for their fight and grit, but let's not pretend like coming up short is a great success story. We make fun of the Colts for their participation banners, so we should at least be consistent.

I simply don't care about 19-0. The Lombardi's and the level of excellence in a league fully designed to marginalize it are more than enough for me. As someone already mentioned we are in " gravy" status for the rest of the Brady/Belichick era, and while I will enjoy every bit of it I don't feel like they have anything left to prove or accomplish to walk away as the Greatest Coach, QB, and Team in NFL history.

Brady is still at the top of his game and Belichick has built a great team around him and I believe they will win at least two more Lombardi's before he hangs them up but I'm just looking forward to seeing how good they will be this season, and then will go from there.

What did they accomplish again? All I remember is heartache and disappointment. It's championship or bust. We've had 5 successful seasons, and that's it. I've certainly found enjoyment as a fan in other seasons, and I've been proud of the team for their fight and grit, but let's not pretend like coming up short is a great success story. We make fun of the Colts for their participation banners, so we should at least be consistent.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the idea of a season not being successful unless it's a championship season is silly. If the Patriots had lost to the Rams in 2001 (actually, 2002 technically) that season would have been a failure?

I know our expectation level is sky high, but this Patriots' dynasty has been the greatest in at least the Super Bowl era, and even during this run they've "only" won 5 times, so winning it all is REALLY hard to do. I think they've had a lot more "successful" seasons than just these 5.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the idea of a season not being successful unless it's a championship season is silly. If the Patriots had lost to the Rams in 2001 (actually, 2002 technically) that season would have been a failure?

I know our expectation level is sky high, but this Patriots' dynasty has been the greatest in at least the Super Bowl era, and even during this run they've "only" won 5 times, so winning it all is REALLY hard to do. I think they've had a lot more "successful" seasons than just these 5.

I guess it depends on the metric we use for "success." Is it putting up a positive W/L record? Is it entertainment for the fans? Is it setting records? Is it passing the eye test? ;)

I'm not saying there's no value in those other seasons. I'm a diehard fan, win or lose. We could never even make the playoffs again, and I'd still watch every game and be proud of my guys. I simply don't think that if you start off with the stated goal of winning a championship, you can then move the goalposts and call your season a true success if you fall short.

I'm all set. I'm in the "anything else is gravy" camp except I'd like to see Rodgers house of cards collapse in the most publicly disgraceful way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3