PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TJ Tampa, a CB from Iowa State, is a first round talent. He’s still left. Gonzo and he would make a formidable tandem.
Yes, but do you think he is worth taking now, instead of an OT or WR?

I would think the improvement at CB with his addition would be less than the team's improvement at one of those two other positions.

I'm hoping for Adonai Mitchell. Fallback option McConkey. Either one would give us a reasonably decent set of receivers.

Patrick Paul dominated at the Senior Bowl. Gives me Broderick Jones vibes. The article at nfl.com under values his run blocking ability

Two year team captain. Handsome dude. Love those Houston guys like Tank Dell and Marcus Jones. Tenacious and plays with a mean streak. Absolutely cannot pass on this guy. Just some refinement and added lower body strength and he will be the franchise LT. People in redrafts will put him solidly in the first round. Way above Tyler Guyton taken 28.

If Patrick Paul, is this talented, it’s any easy pick. Go get the beast!

Trade it for Aiyuk. The 49ers drafted a WR last night. They look to be resigned to not being able to get a deal done with him. Aiyuk is better than any WR left on the board.
Cousin Robo, Hats off to you! Bravo! Good post.
Quick breakfast today. Homemade raisin banana bread toasted with a layer of cream cheese, peppermint tea and cranberry juice.

The problem with these kids; are the bright lights of the NFL too much for them? See Titans WR Treylon Burks as an example (I would give a lower pick for him and give him a shot here) Look at their NFL tape.....uh....they don't have any...huh. If you have a proven product like Aiyuk, you don't be "cute", which apparently is the new slogan during the NFL Draft.

The dilemma that the Niners have is an expensive Deebo (actually his two year contract is fair compared to the WR lollapalooza price hikes this week, of $21mm this year and $18mm next) and we know Aiyuk is going to be hunting at least $27mm. The problem is next year the prices for a QB and WR will be worse. The Niners have Purdy on deck. I was hoping the Niners Draft a WR and they did to clear the decks for this trade.

The problem is that Wolf has proven so far to be one step behind. He is in the perfect position to grab an Aiuk, Deebo or even Higgins if he doesn't get "cute".

The new kid Maye has to look at the WR roster and say "these guys are not elite for sure. I had #9 Tez at Carolina and he was better than any of these guys (maybe I can talk Mayo into getting him in the third?Hmm) What miracles do they want from me?"

The simplest deal would be a swap of picks. Give the Niners #34 for their pick #63 in the second tonite and perhaps a pick in 2025 (why? They have ten picks in this Draft so 2025 might be better for them) and remind them that this Trade is gonna cost RK $100mm that Lynch no longer has to have a nightmare about. We would still have pick #63 to get some OL help.

I beleive this is going to be a WR battle between us and the Bills at #33 and #34. The Bills need a WR desperately. They good news is unless somebody offers the Bills a "bag" to trade out, they do not have the CAP to compete with us for Aiyuk or Deebo. If we don't trade because Wolf screwed the pooch once more, it might come down to AD Mitchell and McConkey and who goes where.

So at #34 Aiyuk, at #63 hopefully Suamamaita. Amagadjie even Cooper Beebe (watch his tape) can play both Tackles and Guard. Patrick Paul would be great but is very raw and could get our QB hurt until he "gets it" but I would take a chance at pick #63 not #34.

I'd even think of double dipping with Rattler at pick #103 tonite but I think Rattler goes to the Raiders at #44.

More trades tonite IMHO.
DW Toys

BPA at O-Line, WR or CB

I like JPJ

Last edited:
Al
Yes, but do you think he is worth taking now, instead of an OT or WR?

I would think the improvement at CB with his addition would be less than the team's improvement at one of those two other positions.
i love TJ Tampa and Max Melton. We need another boundary CB. But Belichick really screwed the pooch on OT.

Patrick Paul’s frame, competitive fire, athleticism, and high football IQ scream out a second round player. Arms over 36”? Are you kidding me? Two year team captain?

Some of his technique is roughshod. Like he’s a brawler out there. But he wants to dominate. And the nasty streak is just the cherry on the top.

WRs can be found in the third round. But the supply of 6’7” 330 pound guys is severely limited.

Should be wr or ot as they are the critcal needs and have been for years, but You shouldn’t be restricting to a specific position between the 2 they both need addressed. Number one you have to like the player. If there’s a wr you are very high on at 34 and the tackles available youre not so much high on it makes no sense to force the tackle. And vice versa

The BPA's are CB and NT.
If they take McKinistry or Fiske at 34, I will change my tune immediately. That's how you build a program. Either guy would have been top 15 at worst in any other draft. Capitalize on the herd mentality other than being a part of it.

Cooper DeJean will be a bust. Stuff hips. Elite receivers will embarrass him. Straight line speed is not enough.
Same response if he plays FS instead of CB?

I'm just saying that IF the analysis is that the team is in need of players at many different positions, it would seem a bad decision to select a guy at the position we are most stocked at, if you're looking at interior OL. When it comes to tackles, though, we can't take enough of them

I think you have to look at what has happened in the lead up to your pick, and who is on the board. Right now about 8 OT’s and 617 WR’s are off the board, so you are taking the 9th best OT, or 7th or 8th best WR, when the best Center in the class, and 2nd best DT, are available. as examples. I get completely that the Patriots have needs at WR and OT, and I understand why people want them to take those positions. However, if you make all of your decisions based solely upon need, and end up taking much lesser players to fill those needs, then you end up with a team filled with lesser players. The Ravens and the Eagles are 2 of the best drafting teams overall, and when I’m watching them draft they are going for BPA, not solely, but overall they are taking the better players, and it shows.

Of the top tiers at WR and OT there are still some players left, such as McConkey, Mitchell, and Patrick Paul. If the Patriots stay put at 34 I won’t be surprised if they take one, although Buffalo is likely to take Mitchell. But I think the likelihood is that they trade down to pick up more picks. At that point the dynamics change, and the tiers change, and there could be really good prospects there when they pick that match their needs.

So as I said earlier I would take Powers-Johnson, but I won’t be bummed out if they take Paul, McConkey. Same goes for DeJean and Bewton. You are getting first round talent with your second round pick, so I’m fine with that.

At 34 (or slight trade down,) I like Patrick Paul, Jerzhan Newton, Kool Aid or Rakestraw whichever they like better at CB or Edgerrin Cooper. Paul is enormous and athletic and mean. Newton is a beast on the DL. Putting him with Barmore and White and Godchaux would have a sick DL, We definitely need a help in the DB alongside Gonzalez. Cooper is a 3 down LB who brings a pop. I would prefer they add more to the offense, but I would rather take the 2nd or 3rd DL/LB/CB instead of the 8th WR

If they stay put I think they have to give serious consideration to Newton. He’s a top tier DT available I the second round, and that’s rare. And if they can t resign Barmore they will have a replacement for him, and if they can keep Barmore it just makes their defense that much better.

This day 2 mock just got posted....

Ladd and Ben Sinnott in the 3rd.

Not bad but if we could trade up with either GB or Detroit than we should be able to get Roger Rosengarten or Kiran Amegadjie
I wouldn't be in favor or taking Sinott when Abrams-Draine or Hart are right there for the taking, but if all those tackles are gone, then we're certainly not going tackle there either.

I have to believe Amegadijie is going to fall into the 3rd round. He's pretty raw.

After watching Rosengarten in the championship game, I want no part of him. He was horrifically bad. Anyone can have a bad game, but it was such a bad performance that I want no part of him.

Cooper DeJean is the best player left OTB. This is where not pulling out all the stops to get Calvin Ridley hurts us. We're almost forced to take a WR or OT here.

Patrick Paul dominated at the Senior Bowl. Gives me Broderick Jones vibes. The article at nfl.com under values his run blocking ability

Two year team captain. Handsome dude. Love those Houston guys like Tank Dell and Marcus Jones. Tenacious and plays with a mean streak. Absolutely cannot pass on this guy. Just some refinement and added lower body strength and he will be the franchise LT. People in redrafts will put him solidly in the first round. Way above Tyler Guyton taken 28.

Practice? We talkin about practice?

Would love a WR or OT
Saying that take the BPA
JPJ.
Andrews probably has one year left. JPJ can also play IOL. He is highy rated
Don’t reach here. We need players
I do not like Mitchell has bust written all over him.
McConkey I like but we have Pop
The OT are reaches

Best OTs are gone.
Any WR worth this pick?
If not BPA no matter the position
Let's not over think

Cooper DeJean is the best player left OTB. This is where not pulling out all the stops to get Calvin Ridley hurts us. We're almost forced to take a WR or OT here.
Stiff hips. Might have to play safety

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back