PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW: Comprehensive minicamp TE Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Rings for Brady!!

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This article covered all the TE's in minicamp, and went into a lot of speculation about what this year's group will do. Watson supposedly caught 100 or so passes, and PFW thinks he might be a #2 target, after Branch. Thomas supposedly had the most all around impressive rookie showing in camp, with great hands. Mills spent the majority of camp at TE, not FB.

We've been talking about several of these issues, Watson as a 'WR' option, of which I have been skeptical; Mills as a TE versus Patrick Pass's replacement at FB, of which I felt he was going to play lots in the passing game if he works out, not so much in the running game. Other claims include that this might be an elite group in the NFL.

Lots of things to talk about from this article, hopefully I will get some response on this thread. I don't know how to set up links to Patriots.com, by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the article. It really got me pumped for the upcoming season and the prospects at tight end. I like reading all the good stuff on Watson. Like the article said, if he puts it all together he's going to be an absolute beast.

Wow, if that article doesn't get you fired up for the season to start, nothing will :D

Good stuff, even though it didn't come from Mike Reiss ;)

Seriously, this does tend to get you jacked up for the season. Watson, from all accounts, was Brady's top target at minicamp so it wouldn't be surprising at all to see him emerge as the No. 2 overall receiver, like Tom Casale said.

There's a lot of room for versatility here with this group, especially if Graham can stay reasonably healthy. And we all know how much Belichick loves versatility. I can see this being an elite group in the league.

Just to be clear...

The article was referring to Watson as Brady's #2 target, not #2 WR. Meaning that Watson might finish #2 on the team in terms of receptions and/or receiving yardage. There was no mention whatsoever of Watson playing at the WR position.

That said, the writer sure was high on Dave Thomas. Sounds exciting to me!

Patsman12 said:
Watson, from all accounts, was Brady's top target at minicamp
Last year I was always disappointed Brady didn't go to him more. Although they seemed to have trouble being on the same page a little too often also. It looks like both of those problems are being fixed :)

GoWhalers said:
The article was referring to Watson as Brady's #2 target, not #2 WR.
Right - as a WR, Watson makes a very good TE :D

re

Graham will be used strictly for blocking purposes.

I see Watson, Thomas, and Mills being used in some cool 3-TE, 2-WR sets where Mills goes in motion a lot. As I speculated before, the writers seems to confirm that Mills will be used more like Chris Cooley as a motion tight end, and less as a fullback.

-- Maverickdamus

I think it is an important distinction: Watson is not likely at all to learn Branch's rhoutes, he will be running TE rhoutes, with some possible overlap, but very different responsibilities. That is why I still believe that the Pats need another veteran reciever, if possible, from a trade or something.

As far as Watson and Brady not being on the same page, I heard that it was due to Watson not running all his rhoutes quite right, and he intended to work on that. Another reason he won't be covering for a WR.

Watson claims that Thomas is further ahead than Watson was, so far, as a rookie....Hopefully, Thomas contributes as well.

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
As far as Watson and Brady not being on the same page, I heard that it was due to Watson not running all his rhoutes quite right, and he intended to work on that.
Right, I'm not concerned about that at all. Watson is really smart and last year was his rookie year on the field. I expect a huge difference this year and for Brady to look his way a lot more.

I also expect Watson to learn his rhoutes this year at TE, no doubt.

Another thing to consider about Thomas - he was 'only' a 3rd round pick and there were many TE's drafted ahead of him. Still, it was supposidly a very deep TE class, he was Vince Youngs' go-to man, and there was even an article that said it looked like Thomas was making the line calls for Texas (at the line of scrimmage)! I love our TE depth as it seems there is always one of our TE that is hurt. Plus there was a good article a month or so ago by Pat Kirwan about how 2 TE sets give the O a great advantage. It is mainly about how the Cowboys will use their 2 good TE - but the same can (will?) apply to us. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769
Sorry if this is rehash - I am new to this board and sometimes 'out of the loop' here in Denmark.

Pat Kirwan is one of my favorite sources in the national media, ironic when you consider he is a Jets fan. He really seems to be informed.

Well, I am certainly encouraged by the article.

I'm not overly worried about Mills. As a fourth rounder I am certainly willing to give him a little time to adjust into the new H-back role.

But it should be interesting to see how McDaniel-son and Belichick work out how to use all the TE weapons.

Still, I would be sad to see Graham leave at the end of the season. But the word on the street is he wants to go, so :dunno:

But it is funny, TE is the one position where we do not have more guys then roster spots at the moment. THat has not been the case in years past.

I'm in the middle of reading the 1st paragraph and I love this line " If mini-camp is any indicator, Watson is getting ready to open up a can on the rest of the NFL". I started laughing with excitement! I can't wait to see Ben tear it up!
Also after reading this "It felt like he caught 100 balls from Tom Brady during the three-day camp and the most encouraging sign was there seemed to be a lot of plays designed to get the ball in his hands, especially near the red zone. Everyone knows this guy is oozing with physical ability and once he puts it all together, Watson is going to be a flat-out nightmare for opposing defenses".

When does the season start again? Not soon enough!

I said it before and I will say it again, despite losing Givens, this will be the best Pats offense we have ever seen! They will finish within at least the top five in total offense.

Love the article and it will only get better once training camp rolls around..

maverick4 said:
Graham will be used strictly for blocking purposes.

I see Watson, Thomas, and Mills being used in some cool 3-TE, 2-WR sets where Mills goes in motion a lot. As I speculated before, the writers seems to confirm that Mills will be used more like Chris Cooley as a motion tight end, and less as a fullback.

-- Maverickdamus

I highly doubt that. If the OL remains healthy, he'll have monster season. Hapen to catch the tampa game last season? What coach in their right mind would keep a weapon like that on the LOS if they could help it?

Watson could be spectacular, but lets see him do it first. He got most of the balls in camp because Graham and Branch weren't available. Brady will have to gain some more trust in him first.

14thDragon said:
Still, I would be sad to see Graham leave at the end of the season. But the word on the street is he wants to go, so :dunno:QUOTE]

What street would that be? First I've heard of it.

Anyone else see anything regarding Grahams desire to leave? I can see him wanting to get to free agency and test the market, but 'want to leave'?

GoWhalers said:
Just to be clear...

The article was referring to Watson as Brady's #2 target, not #2 WR. Meaning that Watson might finish #2 on the team in terms of receptions and/or receiving yardage. There was no mention whatsoever of Watson playing at the WR position.

Exactly.

It's odd but the way some confuse the act of catching passes with the position of WR, they make it sound like there's no reason to have anyone at WR at all, given all the options we've got RBs, TEs and LBs - all of whom can "provide depth at WR".

I think its a given that Graham was drafted in the first round with the hopes that he could develop into an elite pass catcher, pulling in 50+ receptions a year. Although OL injuries haven't helped I don't think anyone thinks he has that level of receiving skill.

Watson on the other hand looks like he's ready to make a big jump - and Thomas too looks like he could be an excellent receiving threat.

I think Graham will have a better than decent year all that being said - with 2 and 3 TEs sets likely most defenses will likely expect Graham to be a blocker rather than receiver - and BB will seek to exploit that to keep defenses honest.

Watson is developing some BB speak it seems, after all, how hard is it for Thomas to be ahead of you at this point in the year when Ben was holding out his rookie year?

Casale drops the ball on blocking again: Graham isn't just the best blocking TE, he is the best blocker. That was my observation using Tivo and TV angles, but also stated by one of the OL in an interview a month or so back.

BB can't afford to limit Graham to blocking and Watson to receiving, not if his offense is going to execute the play the way it was drawn up and practiced. Watson was starting to show some talent as a blocker late in the season, even if he was also whiffing on his blocks, but if Graham wants a new home, Watson needs to develop his blocking to step up and fill some of that gap, the same as Thomas will be expected to work on his blocking, and route running, and defense reads, and Special Teams roles...Besides, part of the reason for using two TEs is to move them around, create mismatches, and distract the defense, can't do that very well if one TE receives and one blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes