PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW: Comprehensive minicamp TE Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Ron Borges? said:
One last thing. I read the article over again and at the end the author wrote:

"Graham is in the last year of his contract but he’s still an important cog in the Patriots offense. At times he acts almost like another tackle but he can also make big plays when he’s catching tight end screens and short passes."

So when Box says he missed the point on his blocking despite the fact he referred to him as an extra tackle at times, tells me has a personal problem with the guy who wrote the article, not what it actually says. Just a hunch.
Dear me Ronnie, now one must have a personal vendetta to critique a reporter's story. I guess that paranoid attitude does make you a fifth column member of the fourth estate.

As to my view that Graham was the best blocker on the team in 2005, watching and re-watching each game, from pre-season to the divisional round, left me with the 'opinion' that Graham was consistently the best at controlling his block. Players he locked onto, whether defensive ends, defensive tackles, or linebackers, did not slide off the block to make tackles or pressure the quarterback. The short comings of Tivo and TV angles aside, it is possible to see whether a block controls the man.

A 260 lb. TE locked onto a 320+ lb. DT and winning consistently is an excellent blocker. Watson, playing the same role, frequently lost control of his man. Casale suggesting BB used Graham as an extra tackle is an allusion to Graham's blocking skills, it does not mean he bulks up and plays tackle, it just means he is a good enough blocker to be compared with a tackle. BB has stated his view that TE is a critical position, ranked up there with QB, LT, CB, and DL in his value scale. Graham is a premier athlete who excels at blocking, is a good receiver, and makes plays with the ball in his hands, at this point there is little likelihood he will be asked to move inside and play tackle.

5 Rings has somewhat corroborated my recollection of a Patriots' offensive lineman crediting Graham's blocking to be as good as a lineman's. I remembered the OL ranking Graham as the best blocker on the team. The item was one of those clean-out the notebook notes at the end of a story. It was printed several weeks back, probably Tomase in the Herald or Solomon in the Globe; it didn't garner much discussion here, like you, most people have little interest in trench warriors.

Casale credited Graham with being the best blocking TE - he is. I consider Casale's perspective limited in scope and said so. I'm sure he appreciates your generous defense of his writing from my scathing attack. Mankins may develop into the next coming of John Hannah, but in 2005, he was not as consistently good in his blocking assignments as Graham was. Just my humble opinion, and reportedly that of one of Mankins' line mates. You may now guffaw in disbelief and insist on your contrary 'opinion'. :cool:

SunnyDenmark said:
First and foremost, I am a Yank (NOT Yankee - god forbid) as they call us Americans in Europe. Been in Denmark last 8 years due to a Great Dane (wife). Born and raised in Boston (South Shore) in the 60's - early 70's before my family moved to Wash DC. So I got caught up at an early age (didn't we all) with Havlicek, Bobby Orr, naturally the Sox and oh yes, there was also some Boston team that played football. Wash DC is an ok sports town (O's, 'Skins, Bullets in their prime in the '70's) but the people there just don't get caught up in it like the Bostonians do. So even though not having lived in Mass since '73 - I have always followed all four Boston teams religiously. Later in life (now sounding like a Doug Flutie press conference....ZZZZzzzzzz). Long story short - i have always followed the Pats but my interest has grown alot since '93 when Bledsoe came here as he is a fellow college alum (Washington State) but I was there during the Mark Rypien years. We (Pats) have come along way since the 60's and I am just proud (fortunate more honestly) to have seen two things that I was never sure I would see in my lifetime - Sox WS Champs and Pats SB champs. Multiple SB's! - this must be a dream. To wrap up this press conference- just want to say that NFL football interest has increased enormously in Denmark since I have been here (8 years) and it started with only the Super Bowl being shown live 6-8 years ago to showing the 4pm Nationwide NFL game 3-6years since to now the last two years showing BOTH 1 pm and 4 pm games live. They have Danish announcers call the game and they are adequate. Naturally - I dont get all the Pats games on TV but I follow them live via internet and the NFL Field package with Gino and Gill. I read all the internet info on the Pats but just found out about the site recently. I met another Bostonian living here via a post on another site so we get together and watch the games when they are on tv. He is a huge Rodney H. fan. I hope to become a somewhat semi-regular contributor on this site. So far the discussions have been of higher quality than what you see on CBS sportsline and such - trash talking is boring - I can do that with my MRS. But a semi-intelligent discussion with some occasional humor and good natured taunts thrown in; that is my cup of tea. Well - I've ranted on on long enough....ZZzzz. Where's Tyler Faiths' picture to wake us all up!:D

Hi, Sunny, and welcome! We used to have a poster (probably still do) called CopenhagenPatsFan. Any relation?

I just wanted to ask if you knew about the Pontel.com service (www.pontel.com) to send DVDs of games to clients in Europe. It's the original U.S. broadcast. I used it last season. It's not cheap and I only got the games the following Friday or Saturday, but it was great to have them.

Mike the Brit said:
Hi, Sunny, and welcome! We used to have a poster (probably still do) called CopenhagenPatsFan. Any relation?

I just wanted to ask if you knew about the Pontel.com service (www.pontel.com) to send DVDs of games to clients in Europe. It's the original U.S. broadcast. I used it last season. It's not cheap and I only got the games the following Friday or Saturday, but it was great to have them.
Hi Mike, thanks for the post. The other poster 'CopenhagenPatsFan' you mention IS the same guy I was talking about that I met here via another posting site. I couldn't think of his posting name here on PatsFans but that is the same guy. He is a real diehard fan. Flew over (the big pond) for the last 2superbowls - flying without tickets in hand. Didn't get into either game though. He could have gotten into the Carolina game but didn't want to pay - I believe it was $1700 for the cheapest ticket he could find. He said in Jacksonville the Eagles fans outnumbered Pats fans in the city something like 10-1 and the scalpers prices were astronomical. He is from the North Shore.
I had not heard of Pontel and I will have to check them out - thanks for the info. Where do you live in GB? Sometimes we go down to a pub that shows the Skychannel broadcast of the Sunday games. There are usually about 20-30 football fans there - 90% are Danish. There loyalty is with MANY different teams and they seem to all have the jerseys with their favorite players. We 'take the piss out' of each other - it is alot of fun. Between the SKychannel broadcasts and our own Danish channel - I would guess we get the see the Pats on TV about 5-6 times a year. Well thanks again for the post and info. Cherrio.

Last edited:
SunnyDenmark:

How popular are the Pats compared to other teams, overseas, in your opinion? Have the recent superbowls given the international market a much different opinion of the Pats than perhaps here in USA where some in the media think we are an unglamorous and not very interesting franchise?

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
SunnyDenmark:

How popular are the Pats compared to other teams, overseas, in your opinion? Have the recent superbowls given the international market a much different opinion of the Pats than perhaps here in USA where some in the media think we are an unglamorous and not very interesting franchise?
Denmark is a very small market of 5 million. So my observation is very limited. At the pub I occasionally watch the live nationwide feeds (FOX / CBS) - there are 20-30 fans with jerseys from about 10 different teams. They have all the big names: Owens, Moss, McNabb, Rothlesburger, Lynch, Manning, Taylor. There are two Brady jerseys - yes both worn by women. One I talk to as when I asked why she likes the Patriots- she said because how they play defense. Smart girl! The other woman has a lapdog of a boyfriend always by her side and he is not a real Pats fan - occasionally roots for them when he is horny. But would have to say that the teams best represented are those with A) recent success or B) teams with a superstar player. Success breeds success. So the Pats are well represented but my biggest surprise is how many different teams have (Danish) fans. feks. 49ers, Cardinals, etc. For fun - if you are bored - here is the Danish TV stations NFL website: http://sporten.tv2.dk/nfl/
You maybe suprised how much you can understand plus you can always just look at the pics. Just like on US websites - there is alittle teaser article with a picture and if you want to read the whole article - click on "Hele artiklen".

Box_O_Rocks said:
Dear me Ronnie, now one must have a personal vendetta to critique a reporter's story. I guess that paranoid attitude does make you a fifth column member of the fourth estate.

As to my view that Graham was the best blocker on the team in 2005, watching and re-watching each game, from pre-season to the divisional round, left me with the 'opinion' that Graham was consistently the best at controlling his block. Players he locked onto, whether defensive ends, defensive tackles, or linebackers, did not slide off the block to make tackles or pressure the quarterback. The short comings of Tivo and TV angles aside, it is possible to see whether a block controls the man.

A 260 lb. TE locked onto a 320+ lb. DT and winning consistently is an excellent blocker. Watson, playing the same role, frequently lost control of his man. Casale suggesting BB used Graham as an extra tackle is an allusion to Graham's blocking skills, it does not mean he bulks up and plays tackle, it just means he is a good enough blocker to be compared with a tackle. BB has stated his view that TE is a critical position, ranked up there with QB, LT, CB, and DL in his value scale. Graham is a premier athlete who excels at blocking, is a good receiver, and makes plays with the ball in his hands, at this point there is little likelihood he will be asked to move inside and play tackle.

5 Rings has somewhat corroborated my recollection of a Patriots' offensive lineman crediting Graham's blocking to be as good as a lineman's. I remembered the OL ranking Graham as the best blocker on the team. The item was one of those clean-out the notebook notes at the end of a story. It was printed several weeks back, probably Tomase in the Herald or Solomon in the Globe; it didn't garner much discussion here, like you, most people have little interest in trench warriors.

Casale credited Graham with being the best blocking TE - he is. I consider Casale's perspective limited in scope and said so. I'm sure he appreciates your generous defense of his writing from my scathing attack. Mankins may develop into the next coming of John Hannah, but in 2005, he was not as consistently good in his blocking assignments as Graham was. Just my humble opinion, and reportedly that of one of Mankins' line mates. You may now guffaw in disbelief and insist on your contrary 'opinion'. :cool:

Hey, we can agree to disagree but in my humble opinion, watching games on TV, no matter how many times you rewind the play, gives you a very limited look at the blocking schemes. So if you are basing your opinion on that, I just think it's a flawed system. However, it is your opinion and you're entiled to it. I just don't think it's accurate.

PS Sorry we all don't re-watch every game to see what is going on in the trenches like you but it doesn't mean us peons don't care about the offensive line. Hey, maybe you should be a scout. You do have Tivo and know everything about trench warfare. ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion on why the Fins trolls are so high on their TE situation? They seem to think that McMichaels is just a LEGEND! What quality depth do they have, and what do they think is so special?

I know, they are homers, I'm just curious why they seem so high about their TE situation. Randy finally learned to block last year, and barely caught a pass.

Anybody know anything about their TE situation?

I'm Ron Borges? said:
PS Sorry we all don't re-watch every game to see what is going on in the trenches like you but it doesn't mean us peons don't care about the offensive line. Hey, maybe you should be a scout. You do have Tivo and know everything about trench warfare. ;)
Geeze, can the 'tude, newb. Before acting all snotty about Box's obsessive game watching habits, you should understand that most of us here practically begged him to do this for us.

A brief backgrounder for ya, since you weren't here at the time. Box started breaking down games last season, play by play, and detailed in regards to formation, movement, audibles, blown blocking assignments, outstanding individual performance notes (including such minutia as 'so and so held the point of attack despite the double team by the guard and tackle, and being chipped by the fullback releasing out of the backfield') and so on. They were so unbelievably good and informative, that we were all pretty blown away, and thankfully they continued, and even had Pats1 and others join in with him to share the load of breaking down games.

They're quite informative, I highly recommend comparing some of the notes with any games from last season that you might have on hand on the DVR or taped, and judge the accuracy for yourself. http://targetsoft.com/patriots/

By the way, this is in no way an attempt to jump to Box's defense, since BOR obviously doesn't need me to defend him. More of a reminder to Box that many of us truly appreciated the hours and hours of work he and Pats1 put into the breakdowns last year, and hope they continue again this year. It's one of the things that made this one of the best fan forums in football last season.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Geeze, can the 'tude, newb. Before acting all snotty about Box's obsessive game watching habits, you should understand that most of us here practically begged him to do this for us.

A brief backgrounder for ya, since you weren't here at the time. Box started breaking down games last season, play by play, and detailed in regards to formation, movement, audibles, blown blocking assignments, outstanding individual performance notes (including such minutia as 'so and so held the point of attack despite the double team by the guard and tackle, and being chipped by the fullback releasing out of the backfield') and so on. They were so unbelievably good and informative, that we were all pretty blown away, and thankfully they continued, and even had Pats1 and others join in with him to share the load of breaking down games.

They're quite informative, I highly recommend comparing some of the notes with any games from last season that you might have on hand on the DVR or taped, and judge the accuracy for yourself. http://targetsoft.com/patriots/

By the way, this is in no way an attempt to jump to Box's defense, since BOR obviously doesn't need me to defend him. More of a reminder to Box that many of us truly appreciated the hours and hours of work he and Pats1 put into the breakdowns last year, and hope they continue again this year. It's one of the things that made this one of the best fan forums in football last season.

Whether he was doing it as a favor or not, my opinion is the same. Him doing it just because you asked nicely does nothing to change my mind. I still don't think watching games on TV gives you a good idea of who is doing what on the offensive line. Case closed.

No mention of the fact they are way low on TEs going into camp...I am a bit surprised that was not mentioned..they ened 1 at least..maybe 2..camp fodder, but prep in case of injuries.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
I still don't think watching games on TV gives you a good idea of who is doing what on the offensive line. Case closed.
You're kidding, right ?? ?? ??

Pats726 said:
No mention of the fact they are way low on TEs going into camp...I am a bit surprised that was not mentioned..they ened 1 at least..maybe 2..camp fodder, but prep in case of injuries.

ONly so many players you can take into camp even. Guess they figure the guys they got are the ones and don't want to eat up other spots.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Whether he was doing it as a favor or not, my opinion is the same. Him doing it just because you asked nicely does nothing to change my mind. I still don't think watching games on TV gives you a good idea of who is doing what on the offensive line. Case closed.
Not surprisingly, my point completely escaped the grasp of your comprehension. I'll try not to lose much sleep over it.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Not surprisingly, my point completely escaped the grasp of your comprehension. I'll try not to lose much sleep over it.

Take it easy tough guy. It's just my personal opinion. Just because you have 3,222 posts and I don't doesn't mean I can't post my opinion. If you don't like it, fine. I won't lose any sleep over that.

arrellbee said:
You're kidding, right ?? ?? ??

The next time you watch a agme, tell me how long and how often the camera is showing the offensive line and everything that's going on in the trenches. Of course you see Graham. He's usually helping on the outside pass rusher but you get a very limited look at the line as a whole.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Take it easy tough guy. It's just my personal opinion. Just because you have 3,222 posts and I don't doesn't mean I can't post my opinion. If you don't like it, fine. I won't lose any sleep over that.
I said not one word of agreement or disagreement about your 'personal opinion', nor did I in any way suggest that your post count had anything to do with the legitimacy of your opinions or your ability to post them.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Thanks, T-Shirt - I was ready to give "Borges" the scoop too.

And you bet we will be back for this season. I've been working on and off to finish the playoff games, so hopefully those can get posted by the time training camp rolls around. :)

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Box started breaking down games last season, play by play, and detailed in regards to formation, movement, audibles, blown blocking assignments, outstanding individual performance notes (including such minutia as 'so and so held the point of attack despite the double team by the guard and tackle, and being chipped by the fullback releasing out of the backfield') and so on. They were so unbelievably good and informative, that we were all pretty blown away, and thankfully they continued, and even had Pats1 and others join in with him to share the load of breaking down games.

That's just what I would have liked to have said if I could, T-Shirt. Box and Pats1 and Patsfan37 deserve huge thanks.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

So, in your opinion, coaches are wasting their times reviewing films. Sorry, but you just made your opinion absolutely worthless on this subject matter.

DaBruinz said:
So, in your opinion, coaches are wasting their times reviewing films. Sorry, but you just made your opinion absolutely worthless on this subject matter.

Beat me to it.
We'll all admit that TV does a lousy job showing DB coverage but given the camera's focus on the ball - QB and RBs, especially with a DVR lineplay can be evaluated over a series of plays and certainly a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back