PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: High-level executive: "IR issue way bigger than taping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope not...but that situation with his punishing the 49ers for a few phone calls from (or was it to?) Rosenhaus and saying it proved tampering with Briggs sure don't set a comforting precedent. I think the Charger fan forgot about my question though. :)

That may be true, but he's already established that, barring a major bombshell on this issue, he's not going to punish the Patriots any further.

Ok, I'll keep this simple for you.
Anyone breaking the IR rule deserves punishment.

Thanks for showing everyone how cluless you are.

Btw, that last argument? Total fantasyland. My example was IF the Chargers put him on IR AND allowed him to practice he wouldn't have advanced in his career as quickly as he did by playing for the Dolphins that same year. He COULDN'T have replaced Reche that year IF the Chargers had hid him on IR. Welker reportedly had offers from multiple teams to join their practice squad, he chose the Dolphins. He chose well. Oh, and any team that breaks the IR rules deserves to be punished.

sdfan

You're right. I goofed about the Reche thing. I was thinking about the scenario I had offered in another thread. However, it doesn't change the fact that you are too friggin stupid to understand that there is no way you can know how Welker's career would have advanced had he stayed with the Chargers.

I would hope not...but that situation with his punishing the 49ers for a few phone calls from (or was it to?) Rosenhaus and saying it proved tampering with Briggs sure don't set a comforting precedent. I think the Charger fan forgot about my question though. :)

Big difference in the 2 situations. Rosenhaus admitted making the calls and that amounts to an admission of guilt. Secondly, the 49ers were guilty of something that happened THIS YEAR under Goodell's reign.

Thanks for showing everyone how cluless you are.
I think you've got it backwards.

You're right. I goofed about the Reche thing. I was thinking about the scenario I had offered in another thread. However, it doesn't change the fact that you are too friggin stupid to understand that there is no way you can know how Welker's career would have advanced had he stayed with the Chargers.
I have enough common sense to know that Wes was better served to be actually PLAYING than he would have been PRACTICING illegally. That's just me though.

sdfan

Last edited:
Big difference in the 2 situations. Rosenhaus admitted making the calls and that amounts to an admission of guilt. Secondly, the 49ers were guilty of something that happened THIS YEAR under Goodell's reign.
Doesn't matter that someone else was in charge when the violation occured, imo.

sdfan

I have enough common sense to know that Wes was better served to be actually PLAYING than he would have been PRACTICING illegally. That's just me though.

sdfan[/QUOTE]

Give it up will you? Christ, Scandal of the century! Why don't you take up watching horse shoes or something.

Last edited:
Give it up will you? Christ, Scandal of the century! Why don't you take up watching horse shoes or something.
Is this your way to "give it up"? Seems to me as though you are asking for a response. BTW, I don't think it's the scandal of the century.

sdfan

Time for an introduction.

Dead Horse, meet pao.
pao, meet Dead Horse.

Is this your way to "give it up"? Seems to me as though you are asking for a response. BTW, I don't think it's the scandal of the century.

sdfan

No, I don't think the incident is worth posting about, however you want to rate the scandal. Telling you to drop it is....I hope. Anyway, last time I waste my time on this. I hope the last the 3 Patriot losses haven't driven you to desperate excuses.

Doesn't matter that someone else was in charge when the violation occured, imo.

sdfan
Why not? What LAWS are even retroactive when it comes to punishment? I never heard of rules being applied retroactively when a new boss came to be in charge even at any job I ever had.

Last edited:

Nope. I have it correct. You are clueless.

sdfan

Sorry, but there is nothing common about common sense. Also, if you think its better to be playing with poor coaching than practicing with great coaching, you've confirmed how dumb you are.

God, Pao are you still fighting this fight? :D

No, I don't think the incident is worth posting about, however you want to rate the scandal. Telling you to drop it is....I hope. Anyway, last time I waste my time on this. I hope the last the 3 Patriot losses haven't driven you to desperate excuses.
Is the fact that the Patriots were the better team a desperate excuse?

sdfan

Nope. I have it correct. You are clueless.
I know you are but what am I? Your turn.

Sorry, but there is nothing common about common sense. Also, if you think its better to be playing with poor coaching than practicing with great coaching, you've confirmed how dumb you are.
I just have to shake my head at this. What?

sdfan

Last edited:
Do haters realize that violating the IR rule is purely a montetary fine? There is no grounds for suspension or loss of draft picks. Fine! Let Goodell fine the Patriots the $10-20k the punishment calls for and be done with it.

There is a reason why a penalty like this is such a low fine. The league doesn't look at it as a big deal no matter what this unnamed executive and all the Patriots haters out there (including the media) says. The Patriots got no real advantage practicing Ryan Claridge who has never been activated for a game in the NFL ever and is out of the league already.

Can we move on already? The issue is dead.

God, Pao are you still fighting this fight? :D
Well, it's been more than just one "fight", but, yes, I guess I am.

sdfan

Why not? What LAWS are even retroactive when it comes to punishment? I never heard of rules being applied retroactively when a new boss came to be in charge even at any job I ever had.
Are you saying that the IR rule wasn't in force before Goodell took office? Because we are talking about the IR rule and it as been the rule for at least a decade. And if someone broke the rule they should be penalised, even if it comes to light under a different commisioner (common sense applies). If you're talking about a rule other than the IR rule let us know what rule you are talking about.

sdfan

Do haters realize that violating the IR rule is purely a montetary fine? There is no grounds for suspension or loss of draft picks. Fine! Let Goodell fine the Patriots the $10-20k the punishment calls for and be done with it.
I am not calling for additional fines or punishment. In fact I think it would be ridiculous to fine an a team for an IR violation that happened in 2001. The point is if you did it take the consequences handed down, move on and don't do it again.

There is a reason why a penalty like this is such a low fine. The league doesn't look at it as a big deal no matter what this unnamed executive and all the Patriots haters out there (including the media) says.
I agree, it's no big deal...unless it keeps happening. It's a rule, follow it, or there should be progressive discipline if a team, any team, keeps breaking it.
The Patriots got no real advantage practicing Ryan Claridge who has never been activated for a game in the NFL ever and is out of the league already.
First who said it was Ryan Claridge and second who cares who it was or your perception of the advantage gained? If you break the rule, you break the rule. In retrospect you say it wasn't an advantage to keep THAT player, but at the time you couldn't have said that, at least the organisation couldn't, otherwise why not just release him? I mean they did keep the guy, whoever it was, and he was healthy enough to practice. The Patriots choice was to put him on the active roster, release him or hide him on the IR. By putting him on IR they didn't have to put him on the roster (thus forcing them to make another player available to another team) or release him (making him available to other teams). That's an advantage, imo.

Can we move on already? The issue is dead.
I will as soon as everyone else does.

sdfan

I am not calling for additional fines or punishment. In fact I think it would be ridiculous to fine an a team for an IR violation that happened in 2001. The point is if you did it take the consequences handed down, move on and don't do it again.

I agree, it's no big deal...unless it keeps happening. It's a rule, follow it, or there should be progressive discipline if a team, any team, keeps breaking it. First who said it was Ryan Claridge and second who cares who it was or your perception of the advantage gained? If you break the rule, you break the rule. In retrospect you say it wasn't an advantage to keep THAT player, but at the time you couldn't have said that, at least the organisation couldn't, otherwise why not just release him? I mean they did keep the guy, whoever it was, and he was healthy enough to practice. The Patriots choice was to put him on the active roster, release him or hide him on the IR. By putting him on IR they didn't have to put him on the roster (thus forcing them to make another player available to another team) or release him (making him available to other teams). That's an advantage, imo.

I will as soon as everyone else does.

sdfan

I will explain why it has to be Ryan Claridge for you. Ross Tucker has described a player on IR in 2005 practicing who was a developemental player. The only player on IR that year who fits that description was Claridge. So it has to be him.

The Patriots got an advantage by keeping a developmental player on IR and practicing him, but not much. Any player IRed to hide on a roster is a player not good enough to make the 53 man roster, but just good enough that a team with big holes at that position might take a pass on the guy for no other reason than he was drafted in the fifth round rather than the sixth or seventh. But like most practice squad guys, the odds of him making the 53 man roster the following year was slim at best.

As for the practicing aspect, that as been overstated too. The Patriots were not going to take out Tedy Bruschi or Mike Vrabel out of reps to give reps to Claridge. Why would they give reps to a guy who cannot be activated over a guy like Larry Izzo or Monty Beisel who might actually have to play the position that Sunday. It makes no sense. At best, an IR guy might spend time on the scout team instead of another back up who probably would not be activated for the game or see very limited time on the field during the game. Again, limited benefit.

I am done with this issue now. The Patriots are done. Goodell is done. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST