PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF: Dont'a Hightower Ranked #1 Free Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still laugh at the people who say Long is a bettter fit for our team than chandler. Delusional

There main argument of Long being better against the run is not even backed by stats.

I think that was a thread that was started closer to the beginning of the season, and even then, many people disagreed with the notion. The truth of the matter is simply that Jones was not going to be retained in the spring on a mega-money deal, especially with character/drug issues.

Even now, let's keep things in perspective: Jones had a sack in each of his first 4 games, but then went an entire month of 4 more games only racking up 1 more sack. He came on strong against the lowly 49ers last week with another couple of sacks, so now it's looking like a terrible decision again.

We need to remember the difference in responsibilities and schemes, as well as the fact that ARZ blitzes much more than most teams (if not just about all). We also need to remember that Jones has been known to fade down the stretch of the second half of the season, so that will be something to keep an eye on, too.

They will sign or tag him... If they extend Dola ( I am not talking about other cuts as Waddle, Freeny,McCllelin ...), just re-doing Dola's deal they will get close to 70.5m...

If they give HT 13m (#1 LB) they will have 57.5 to sign:

Butler 13.5m ( tOP 5)
Bennett 9.5m ( #2 TE)
Cannon 4.5m

They will have 30m - 2m for picks + 6m to save for transactions during season so

22m for:

Chris Long
Sebastian Vollmer
LeGarrette Blount
Jabaal Sheard
Brandon Bolden
Duron Harmon
Logan Ryan
Barkevious Mingo
James Develin
Michael Williams
Cameron Fleming
Justin Coleman - Tender
Brandon King - Tender
Woodrow Hamilton - Tender

20m for:

Chris Long - 2.5m
Sebastian Vollmer - 3.5m
LeGarrette Blount - 1.5m
Jabaal Sheard - Walk ( I like him but being not active against 49rs show that BB dont trust him anymore - if he's healthy)
Brandon Bolden - 1m - Can easily be replaced by using one of our last picks on a rookie RB to play for ST only
Duron Harmon - 4m
Logan Ryan - Walk or 4m - Tough ... They can go Butler - Rowe - Cyrus and draft a replacement for Ryan
Barkevious Mingo - 2.5m
James Develin - 1m
Michael Williams - Walk
Cameron Fleming - Walk

The only (material) advantage the Pats have on the rest of the league (apart from tag) is that they can offer him a contract with implication in 2016. Some of what others may offer him in the future they can offer him now and for him its also a big insurance. I really hope they both take this advantage and sign the contract soon.

Can't see Hightower leaving. If he does go then we really are cheap as hell.
I agree he will and should stay but if the money is spent on someone else that does not equate to cheap.

They will sign or tag him... If they extend Dola ( I am not talking about other cuts as Waddle, Freeny,McCllelin ...), just re-doing Dola's deal they will get close to 70.5m...

If they give HT 13m (#1 LB) they will have 57.5 to sign:

Butler 13.5m ( tOP 5)
Bennett 9.5m ( #2 TE)
Cannon 4.5m

They will have 30m - 2m for picks + 6m to save for transactions during season so

22m for:

Chris Long
Sebastian Vollmer
LeGarrette Blount
Jabaal Sheard
Brandon Bolden
Duron Harmon
Logan Ryan
Barkevious Mingo
James Develin
Michael Williams
Cameron Fleming
Justin Coleman - Tender
Brandon King - Tender
Woodrow Hamilton - Tender

20m for:

Chris Long - 2.5m
Sebastian Vollmer - 3.5m
LeGarrette Blount - 1.5m
Jabaal Sheard - Walk ( I like him but being not active against 49rs show that BB dont trust him anymore - if he's healthy)
Brandon Bolden - 1m - Can easily be replaced by using one of our last picks on a rookie RB to play for ST only
Duron Harmon - 4m
Logan Ryan - Walk or 4m - Tough ... They can go Butler - Rowe - Cyrus and draft a replacement for Ryan
Barkevious Mingo - 2.5m
James Develin - 1m
Michael Williams - Walk
Cameron Fleming - Walk
Giving Hightower and butler 13 million dollar average contracts does not mean the cap hit in the first year is 13.

I think that was a thread that was started closer to the beginning of the season, and even then, many people disagreed with the notion. The truth of the matter is simply that Jones was not going to be retained in the spring on a mega-money deal, especially with character/drug issues.

Even now, let's keep things in perspective: Jones had a sack in each of his first 4 games, but then went an entire month of 4 more games only racking up 1 more sack. He came on strong against the lowly 49ers last week with another couple of sacks, so now it's looking like a terrible decision again.

We need to remember the difference in responsibilities and schemes, as well as the fact that ARZ blitzes much more than most teams (if not just about all). We also need to remember that Jones has been known to fade down the stretch of the second half of the season, so that will be something to keep an eye on, too.
And that was his M.O. here as well. He'd play well during the first half of the season and all but disappear during the second half and be pretty much a non-factor come playoff time. He'd rack up the numbers against the bottom feeders as well. Same ole. People are whining and trying to revise history because our pass rush has been so anemic, but I hardly think Jones would have made much of a difference.

Jones is not worth the kind of money that his position demands PERIOD. It doesn't matter how many of you wish he was still on the team.

Pats fans in the summer: "we traded Chandler Jones so we can sign hightower, Collins, and Butler."

Pats fans in the fall: "we traded Collins so we can sign Butler and hightower"

Pats fans in free agency: ?????

Giving Hightower and butler 13 million dollar average contracts does not mean the cap hit in the first year is 13.

If they carry the extra dollar for the next year, how they will spread the cap is irrelevant. They are top 5 in cap space next year, they can tag HT, they can easily give him the best LB contract, what i want to say is they will keep him if they want to do so. Money is not a problem

Pats fans in the summer: "we traded Chandler Jones so we can sign hightower, Collins, and Butler."

Pats fans in the fall: "we traded Collins so we can sign Butler and hightower"

Pats fans in free agency: ?????
/thread

I don't see anyway he leaves give how much cap space we are going to have.

My list right now has changed a bit:
Hightower
Bennett
Butler

Bennet is key because Gronk takes a beating and misses games here and there and Marty is a top 5 TE in this league with the right QB..aka Brady

we already have those after every loss. ****, even after some wins.

Yeah these board are unreadable for days after a loss..and even some wins. Brutal

Yeah these board are unreadable for days after a loss..and even some wins. Brutal

Fans wouldn't complain as much if this defense was struggling with Collins and jones still on the roster. Trading away two young pro bowl draft picks which has take a noticeable effect in the decline of our defense annoys fans because they think Brady's window of a fifth Super Bowl is closing at 39. People want to win now while Brady still has it

If he doesn't get greedy, he'll probably stay. The contacts that a lot of these young players want, is ridiculous. If your/agents mindset is a "I want to make as much/more as the next highest player in the league", over "I want to make a very good living, with a TEAM!, and have a very high probability of success/rings", then you are probably gone. Hightower seems like the latter. ie Faulk, Bruschi, McGuinest....etc. I think that so many young players get sucked into the thought of glamour, money and high profile lifestyle. I like the type of player who will take a little "cut" in pay to help the TEAM! Football can be a short career, so I understand, you have to earn enough to live on now. But contracts like Suh in Miami, can be Cap nightmare. Edelman shopped around, but I think he really wanted to stay here. And if I recall, he has a reasonable contract now. But he also marketed himself and makes additional income. He supplements his income and remains in a VERY competitive org. It does reek of a little disorder in da house as far as defense. I think BB is trying to cut out the cancer. That's gotta be a slippery slope for him, or any other coach. If Collins, Jones, Sheard... are causing division, it's bye bye .We have no clue what really happens in the Front Office. For me, it really comes down to the old, "In BB we trust". And I hope Hightower is a lifer.

If he doesn't get greedy, he'll probably stay. The contacts that a lot of these young players want, is ridiculous. If your/agents mindset is a "I want to make as much/more as the next highest player in the league", over "I want to make a very good living, with a TEAM!, and have a very high probability of success/rings", then you are probably gone. Hightower seems like the latter. ie Faulk, Bruschi, McGuinest....etc. I think that so many young players get sucked into the thought of glamour, money and high profile lifestyle. I like the type of player who will take a little "cut" in pay to help the TEAM! Football can be a short career, so I understand, you have to earn enough to live on now. But contracts like Suh in Miami, can be Cap nightmare. Edelman shopped around, but I think he really wanted to stay here. And if I recall, he has a reasonable contract now. But he also marketed himself and makes additional income. He supplements his income and remains in a VERY competitive org. It does reek of a little disorder in da house as far as defense. I think BB is trying to cut out the cancer. That's gotta be a slippery slope for him, or any other coach. If Collins, Jones, Sheard... are causing division, it's bye bye .We have no clue what really happens in the Front Office. For me, it really comes down to the old, "In BB we trust". And I hope Hightower is a lifer.

1 Cleveland Browns $101,694,436
2 San Francisco $83,662,288
3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers $65,325,335
4 New England Patriots $64,703,602
5 Tennessee Titans $57,777,834
6 Jacksonville Jaguars $55,788,629
7 Washington Redskins $53,753,873
8 Chicago Bears $51,772,606
9 Indianapolis Colts $51,075,688
10 Carolina Panthers $50,704,063

If he wants to compete: us or Panthers ... I dont think the panthers will spend 25m+ on LB's without having one CB ...

Fans wouldn't complain as much if this defense was struggling with Collins and jones still on the roster. Trading away two young pro bowl draft picks which has take a noticeable effect in the decline of our defense annoys fans because they think Brady's window of a fifth Super Bowl is closing at 39. People want to win now while Brady still has it

I know we want to win now...but we're 7-2 but it feels like the sky is falling around here...i get we struggle on D and some players have left..but it's like we are 2-7 to a lot

I'm bitter about losing Collins. Let him walk for all I care. When it comes down to it, a horrible defense such as 2011 was decent by the end of the season and everything was really on our offense's shoulders. Lets spend big on offense for once. Why can't we sell the house for like two Leveon Bells etc. A part of me dies when I see Bolden and James White run the ball.

I'd rather see money spent to upgrade a underperforming defense. Brady is in the twilight of his career and shouldn't have to carry the load almost exclusively anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back