Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
PFF has "Top 10 players that could be UFAs in 2017" and at #1 it lists:

1. Dont’a Hightower, LB, Patriots, 88.1 overall grade
The list of inside linebackers that have been more consistently dominant than Hightower over the course of his career is very small. Both his run-defense and pass-coverage grades this season are above 80.0, showcasing the kind of three-down ability required from top-flight inside linebackers. He’s also the best pass-rushing inside linebacker in the NFL, leading the league with a 78.7 pass-rush grade. Hightower has averaged over four sacks and 23 pressures per season through his career. It would be a surprise to see him leave the Patriots, as he’s unquestionably their defensive leader, but if he did, nearly every NFL team would be likely be calling his agent.

At #2 is Kawann Short, with a grade of 84.6. It also has Collins at 3 and Jones at 4. Butler is not listed since he's a RFA. The top five are all defenders (Le'Veon Bell is #6) as are 7 of the top 10.

Looking at the list, it's clear to me there's going to be a lot of cash in the free agency market without a lot of great players to spend it on. HT is going to get a very strong deal, hopefully with us and not one of the other 31 who will be knocking at his door.

PFF has "Top 10 players that could be UFAs in 2017" and at #1 it lists:

At #2 is Kawann Short, with a grade of 84.6. It also has Collins at 3 and Jones at 4. Butler is not listed since he's a RFA. The top five are all defenders (Le'Veon Bell is #6) as are 7 of the top 10.

Looking at the list, it's clear to me there's going to be a lot of cash in the free agency market without a lot of great players to spend it on. HT is going to get a very strong deal, hopefully with us and not one of the other 31 who will be knocking at his door.

We will have to pay someone given that we will be in the top 5 of available cap space. Doubt there is any chance that Hightower will be gone.

well we are going to have $60 millionish in cap space, plus we're still hovering around 8 mil right now. honestly im kinda surprised we have not seen more movement.

Still getting over the shock of the collins trade.

With the loss of Collins, I think there's no doubt that he is our top f/a priority. After him, I would really like Bennett back and even though Butler is a restricted f/a, it would be nice to have him wrapped up as well.

Can't see Hightower leaving. If he does go then we really are cheap as hell.
It's never been about being cheap, more being thrifty. Kraft will spend to the cap if Bill wants to.

With the loss of Collins, I think there's no doubt that he is our top f/a priority. After him, I would really like Bennett back and even though Butler is a restricted f/a, it would be nice to have him wrapped up as well.

Yes a huge priority we sign those 3p

There's a cap floor too. They have to spend most of that money.

Yeah, he's going nowhere. Hightower and Butler will get paid first then the team will dip a bit into the FA market is my guess.

Hightower and Butler are both game changing players who are also leaders on the field and do their job every down. They'll be paid.

Never gonna happen but can you imagine Bell behind Brady for the next 4 years? Holy **** unpredictable and might be one of the few backs worth 10-12 mil a year. Keep Bennett and you could run or pass at will from the exact same formation.

If after trading Jones and Collins we don't successfully extend Hightower with all the cap space we have...

I will have a total Britney Spears shaved head level melt down on this board.....

You've all been warned!

No chance of that happening. im referring to not extending Hightower. As for you having a britney spears meltdown....Neither Collins nor Jones was ever in Hightowers class as a defender. High made more game-changing big plays but the real difference is consistency-after his rokie year high has been consistently great, game in, game out, year in , year out. Bollins and jones both defined inconsistency. You cant be great w/o being consistent.

Hightower and Butler are both game changing players who are also leaders on the field and do their job every down. They'll be paid.

Of course they will be paid. But the Pats? Remains to be seen. I said it last offseason.

These are fake arbitrary numbers.

Pats offer 5/65 25 GTD
Team B 5/85 35 GTD

Where does the player go? And the Pats won't match that.

If after trading Jones and Collins we don't successfully extend Hightower with all the cap space we have...

I will have a total Britney Spears shaved head level melt down on this board.....

You've all been warned!

we already have those after every loss. ****, even after some wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back