PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF: Dont'a Hightower Ranked #1 Free Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically its no fun looking at march FA even with so much cap space when top FA's are from home stable.

The question of overpaying (which will have to happen as it stands) is not just connected to 2017 cap but also to team salary structure and to the future.

Fans would sign Hightower at basically any cost now (with Easley, CJ, and Collins all gone) but its not so easy for the FO. Even the most modest (and as it seems rather optimistic) proposal from Miguel ranks High up there with Kuechly. So even the lowest contract projection will be at least a slight overpayment IMO since Kuechly is better all-round player, more disruptive and more durable, dependable, and a year younger.

The reality is that the situation is getting closer and closer to considerable overpayment for Hightower in relation to his overall LB rating and teammates salaries. It will not be easy to swallow but any alternative for the team seems worse. The fact that Pats did hit on the talent in recent drafts but couldn't grow them to buy into the NE culture or the system hurts a lot in this context.

The hard question that will come up - even with all the will and the money - is: do you give Hightower more guaranteed money than anybody else out there offers .. with his injuries and absences in the last 3 seasons .. and risk a ton of dead cap - to keep the best and the only remaining elite front seven guy who is a captain of the D on the team .. with no real alternatives on the market? Seems like no question but it doesn't make it any easier ..

Re. Bennett - if the market offers him more than Gronk has it will be hard to think the Pats match (even if they might upgrade Gronks contract if he can stay healthy)

Last edited:
I will have no idea what the Hell they are doing if they don't pay Hightower. We have 60+ million in cap space. What else do they plan spending it on? Another 3-4 TE's?

I'm bitter about losing Collins. Let him walk for all I care. When it comes down to it, a horrible defense such as 2011 was decent by the end of the season and everything was really on our offense's shoulders. Lets spend big on offense for once. Why can't we sell the house for like two Leveon Bells etc. A part of me dies when I see Bolden and James White run the ball.

I will have no idea what the Hell they are doing if they don't pay Hightower. We have 60+ million in cap space. What else do they plan spending it on? Another 3-4 TE's?

They could do alot with 60 million. They can also create more cap space. Would be nice to add some defensive players as well.

Some players missing on that list including trumaine johnson.

They could do alot with 60 million. They can also create more cap space. Would be nice to add some defensive players as well.
Its nice to bring in big ticket FA's i.e. Revis, but replacing Hightower with another FA LB would make no sense to me, considering he's probably the best one that will be available, not to mention it messes with defensive chemistry.

54 type players just don't get to F.A. often. He's really solidified himself as a top 5 guy in a league full of talented backers.

Love to see him crash the party more and attack the los. No running back or tight end wants to deal with that guy coming full steam.

He's plug and play in any system. So versatile and smart. Excelling in Saban and Belichick's system is no easy task and he has done just that.

We gonna let him go to? Open up your wallet Bob

It certainly isn't about money with Kraft its about keeping a balanced roster. I am pretty sure Bill has final say on Roster he is Head Coach and GM.

Last edited:
I'm bitter about losing Collins. Let him walk for all I care. When it comes down to it, a horrible defense such as 2011 was decent by the end of the season and everything was really on our offense's shoulders. Lets spend big on offense for once. Why can't we sell the house for like two Leveon Bells etc. A part of me dies when I see Bolden and James White run the ball.

Well that all sounds perfect since marquee running backs become FA's all the time.

We gonna let him go to? Open up your wallet Bob
I cannot comprehend letting Hightower walk. Just pay the guy, he is the player holding this defense together. It would be a real head scratcher if we don't extend Butler too.

Ironically its no fun looking at march FA even with so much cap space when top FA's are from home stable.

The question of overpaying (which will have to happen as it stands) is not just connected to 2017 cap but also to team salary structure and to the future.

Fans would sign Hightower at basically any cost now (with Easley, CJ, and Collins all gone) but its not so easy for the FO. Even the most modest (and as it seems rather optimistic) proposal from Miguel ranks High up there with Kuechly. So even the lowest contract projection will be at least a slight overpayment IMO since Kuechly is better all-round player, more disruptive and more durable, dependable, and a year younger.

The reality is that the situation is getting closer and closer to considerable overpayment for Hightower in relation to his overall LB rating and teammates salaries. It will not be easy to swallow but any alternative for the team seems worse. The fact that Pats did hit on the talent in recent drafts but couldn't grow them to buy into the NE culture or the system hurts a lot in this context.

The hard question that will come up - even with all the will and the money - is: do you give Hightower more guaranteed money than anybody else out there offers .. with his injuries and absences in the last 3 seasons .. and risk a ton of dead cap - to keep the best and the only remaining elite front seven guy who is a captain of the D on the team .. with no real alternatives on the market? Seems like no question but it doesn't make it any easier ..

Re. Bennett - if the market offers him more than Gronk has it will be hard to think the Pats match (even if they might upgrade Gronks contract if he can stay healthy)

This

It's not unlikely that Hightower leaves, and it's not because Bob is cheap. There is a real chance someone is desperate enough to make him the highest paid middle linebacker in football. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be up there, but plenty of teams will have ludicrous money they can throw at him. If it comes down to just dollars he may not be here.

I find this interesting though

"
4. Chandler Jones, OLB, Cardinals, 86.6
While Chandler Jones’ production in New England never quite matched the hype he often received, he was still a good player. But in his first season with the Cardinals, his performance has reached another level. Jones’ 43 total QB pressures rank second only to Von Miller among 3-4 outside linebackers. He also adds 13 solo run stops, which is the fourth-most at his position. At times this season, Jones has completely taken over games from the edge. He will still occasionally have games where he doesn’t contribute much, but those are far fewer than they once were. Jones is a top-flight pass-rusher at this point, and he’ll generate a heap of interest this offseason."

Really wish we could have found a way to keep him

This

It's not unlikely that Hightower leaves, and it's not because Bob is cheap. There is a real chance someone is desperate enough to make him the highest paid middle linebacker in football. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be up there, but plenty of teams will have ludicrous money they can throw at him. If it comes down to just dollars he may not be here.

Bingo. I'm gonna have to dig up my posts from back on March-ish saying it wouldn't shocked me if none of the big 4 come back. 2 are already gone.

Maybe BB is restructuring the team for the next 10 years post Brady. Get what he can this year and reset.

I'm sure we'll let him walk because we've got some undrafted guy on the PS who keeps all the plays in front of him

I find this interesting though

"
4. Chandler Jones, OLB, Cardinals, 86.6
While Chandler Jones’ production in New England never quite matched the hype he often received, he was still a good player. But in his first season with the Cardinals, his performance has reached another level. Jones’ 43 total QB pressures rank second only to Von Miller among 3-4 outside linebackers. He also adds 13 solo run stops, which is the fourth-most at his position. At times this season, Jones has completely taken over games from the edge. He will still occasionally have games where he doesn’t contribute much, but those are far fewer than they once were. Jones is a top-flight pass-rusher at this point, and he’ll generate a heap of interest this offseason."

Really wish we could have found a way to keep him

I still laugh at the people who say Long is a bettter fit for our team than chandler. Delusional

There main argument of Long being better against the run is not even backed by stats.

Bingo. I'm gonna have to dig up my posts from back on March-ish saying it wouldn't shocked me if none of the big 4 come back. 2 are already gone.

Maybe BB is restructuring the team for the next 10 years post Brady. Get what he can this year and reset.

I was pretty much right there with you, although I'm on record stating that I believed "only" 1-2 out of the four would be retained.

There were actually people who pointed to the upcoming cap room as some type of weird justification as to how they'd sign all 4 players. Stop and think about that for a second. It's almost as if no one here has paid any attention to Belichick's decisions over the past 15+ years.

Why can't we sell the house for like two Leveon Bells etc.

Belichick isn't likely to pay a RB 5m dollars a year, let alone 3x as much (15m) that Bell is reportedly looking for. Aside from Corey Dillon, he hasn't invested much in the position outside of the draft, and he has made the most of the RBBC system by spending very little resources. My guess is that he views guys like White and Lewis as much better value options on the cheap vs. the high priced RBs in free agency that may produce 30-35 percent more.

I would expect a RB to be drafted in the spring, as well as some cheaper free agent options to be explored. I think Belichick realizes that we're a pass happy team with one of the best QBs of all-time, and that it just wouldn't make much sense to spend double digit millions on a RB. Whatever the reasoning, there's certainly a clear pattern here, and I'd be shocked to see a guy with some character issues and a potential substance abuse problem to be brought in on a big money pact. Let some other idiot team like the Redskins or Bears pay him top dollar, and God help them if he's suspended for a 3rd time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back