PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Sheppard laid off from WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *****Pete Sheppard Fired from WEEI *******

The latest data I came across showed that D&C were #3 in the morning with a 6.1 share while the Big Show was #1 in the afternoon with a 7.5 share.

You need someone to talk hockey in the winter months. Last year when the Bruins were in the playoffs there was tons of hockey talk. You cant talk Celtics for 4 hours 5 days a week, and same thing with the Red Sox in the winter

Big Show has a higher share of their daypart, but D&C have more listeners. Morning drive has far more listeners than afternoon drive.

As for hockey, you need someone for about a week or two total for the year (I am talking cumulative hours). Most sports fans don't care about hockey and since 98.5 is the Bruins radio station and they dedicate weekly guests and spots on the Bruins in afternoon drive, they get most of the hockey listeners anyway.

Couldn't agree more. I actually wish they could pair him with someone and get rid of Toucher and Rich when I get sick of D&C and want to hear sports talk.

Sheppard is a stage name and yes, he is of Italian decent. I forget his real last name. It wasn't unpronounceable IMO...

I know Pete Sheppard on a casual basis.He lives in Narragansett, I live in Charlestown...talked to him many times while having a few brews at Pancho O'Malley's. He is an Irish/Italian, as am I and we've both remarked what a mix it is, especially when your mother is Italian..for obvious gustatory reasons. I'm not aware of any name change in Pete's past...he graduated Hendricken as Peter Sheppard.

Wow, devestating news. He was the best thing on there. His summer show was by far the best show on the network. How the hell is Sheppard out and guys like Sean McAdam, Mike Munanski, Rob Bradford, the anti-Bellichick morning crew, Butch Sterns, Larry Johnson, and others have a job while Pete doesn't?

Wow, devestating news. He was the best thing on there. His summer show was by far the best show on the network. How the hell is Sheppard out and guys like Sean McAdam, Mike Munanski, Rob Bradford, the anti-Bellichick morning crew, Butch Sterns, Larry Johnson, and others have a job while Pete doesn't?

He's a flashboy. WEEI is now outsourcing their flashes.

I know Pete Sheppard on a casual basis.He lives in Narragansett, I live in Charlestown...talked to him many times while having a few brews at Pancho O'Malley's. He is an Irish/Italian, as am I and we've both remarked what a mix it is, especially when your mother is Italian..for obvious gustatory reasons. I'm not aware of any name change in Pete's past...he graduated Hendricken as Peter Sheppard.

I thought he lived in the North End?

I wish I could remember his Italian name......

He's a flashboy. WEEI is now outsourcing their flashes.

I laughed at that. Outsourcing flashes. To where? Bangalore, India?

Last edited:

Thats sad to heari liked sheppard he talked sports with passion, especially the pats.

Wow.. wether you love him or hate him.. Pete bleed's Boston Sports.. def SportsHub Pickup I predict

Boston Sports Media Link to Story

Love Pete ... like him better than Big O' ... tough story.

Take care Pete and good luck ... you big turd. ;););)
Loved it when Pete ran the board when Ordway was on vacation.
Pete was funny, insightful and a homer ... going to miss his voice on the show.

I will boycott the show for a while ... it will not be the same without Pete.

Loved the day he called a caller a jib ... Pete made me laugh everyday ... laughter is a valuable commodity.

When one door closes another one opens ...
Pete will be better for this move because he is a winner and he will win.

2nd and long Pete ... you can do it ... and you will.

Last edited:

First of all Pete was filling in for the Big O when he was on vacation

Secondly Butch Sterns doesnt have a job either

I laughed at that. Outsourcing flashes. To where? Bangalore, India?

A company called Metro Networks, according to the Globe.

According to the Globe, the Big Show finished second to Felger and Massarotti in the 25-54 demographic last sweep.

WEEI is in trouble, it would seem. They've certainly fallen a bit from when they were on top of the world a few years back.

Felger & Mazz >>>>>>>>>>>> The Fat Show.

Pete would be better off at the superior station anyway... 98.5. I wouldnt mind him co-hosting the night show with D.A. Give a little more local flavor to it.

According to the Globe, the Big Show finished second to Felger and Massarotti in the 25-54 demographic last sweep.

WEEI is in trouble, it would seem. They've certainly fallen a bit from when they were on top of the world a few years back.

I know Felger and Mazz beat the Big Show in the 18-49 demos in November. Overall WEEI still beats 98.5, but the afternoon drive is the only daypart that 98.5 beats WEEI in key demos. I don't know if WEEI in general is in trouble, but the Big Show might be.

Personally, I feel losing Pete is addition by subtraction. I feel bad for the guy, but he is now free to team up with Andy Gresh to host the morning show in my own personal hell.

Felger & Mazz >>>>>>>>>>>> The Fat Show.

Pete would be better off at the superior station anyway... 98.5. I wouldnt mind him co-hosting the night show with D.A. Give a little more local flavor to it.

Please no! I like DA because he talks real sports without a lot of the BS that sucks on most of the radio shows in this town. The last thing he needs is the bafoonery of Pete Sheppard.

Personally, I am hoping with Pete Sheppard gone, they baffoonery on the Big Show is minimized and maybe Fred Smerlas will go from the mink wearing moron to the the intelligent football analyst he was when he first went on WEEI.

Mistake by WEEI, I'd rather have seen him take over the night show for Mikey than get the boot, I'd love to see him get the morning show on 98.5. Toucher and Rich are funny, I used to listen to them on BCN, but they don't do it for me in a sports format, they just don't know what they're talking about.

I know Felger and Mazz beat the Big Show in the 18-49 demos in November. Overall WEEI still beats 98.5, but the afternoon drive is the only daypart that 98.5 beats WEEI in key demos. I don't know if WEEI in general is in trouble, but the Big Show might be.

Personally, I feel losing Pete is addition by subtraction. I feel bad for the guy, but he is now free to team up with Andy Gresh to host the morning show in my own personal hell.

What morning show would Pete and Gresh host? Gresh just got his own weekend show on 98.5. I dont see that happening...ever.

I have always been a WEEI follower, and the Big Show is my favorite show. It is much better than those clowns on the other station. Why do you think WEEI didnt put a fight when Felger switched...because they know hes a moron. I cant listen to that guy for 30 min on Comcast, yet alone 4 hours on the radio.

Too bad, hate to see anyone lose their job in this economic climate. Pete was good when he was the host of the show. Like when Glen was on one of his many vacations. I think he must get 12 weeks a year.

He has the best job ever I think.
Makes a Mill and gets 12 weeks off.....sweet.

What morning show would Pete and Gresh host? Gresh just got his own weekend show on 98.5. I dont see that happening...ever.

Either my joke wasn't funny or it went right over your head. Read my post again.

I have always been a WEEI follower, and the Big Show is my favorite show. It is much better than those clowns on the other station. Why do you think WEEI didnt put a fight when Felger switched...because they know hes a moron. I cant listen to that guy for 30 min on Comcast, yet alone 4 hours on the radio.

If WEEI didn't put a fight when Felger switched, they are morons. Like Felger or not, his show is beating the Big Show in the key demographics for advertisers. Losing Felger to 98.5 is going to hurt WEEI financially and probably why Sheppard was let go for a cost cutting reasons. Allowing both Felger and Mazz go to 98.5 is probably the biggest blunder of WEEI in the last year. You may not like the guy, but he is going to make 98.5 win the advertising dollar war between them and WEEI weekdays 2-6.

Last edited:
Blown away. Haven't listened to EEI since th elast fball game (but spend waaay too many hours on 850... usually).

Love Pete. How can he be "laid off" after signing a contract ? Obv not guaranteed ? He should've been a LHP or a catcher.
I think I heard them mention that his contract was up in February, so it probably was bought out but not all that much money. Almost like getting a 1 month severance.

He has the best job ever I think.
Makes a Mill and gets 12 weeks off.....sweet.

12 weeks off is actually pretty common for radio hosts. Howard Stern probably has 15-16 weeks. Howie Carr has about as much as Ordway. Dennis and Callahan have as much although it isn't noticable since they try to take them at different times so one of them is almost always hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News