PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Sheppard laid off from WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I heard them mention that his contract was up in February, so it probably was bought out but not all that much money. Almost like getting a 1 month severance.

Well, typically when radio stations tell a radio personality that they are not renewing their contract, they pull them from the radio immediately. Otherwise, they risk him saying something the station might regret with no consequence.

Either my joke wasn't funny or it went right over your head. Read my post again.

If WEEI didn't put a fight when Felger switched, they are morons. Like Felger or not, his show is beating the Big Show in the key demographics for advertisers. Losing Felger to 98.5 is going to hurt WEEI financially and probably why Sheppard was let go for a cost cutting reasons. Allowing both Felger and Mazz go to 98.5 is probably the biggest blunder of WEEI in the last year. You may not like the guy, but he is going to make 98.5 win the advertising dollar war between them and WEEI weekdays 2-6.

I did misread your post, thats my bad.

WEEI is still the superior station in my opinion even in the afternoons. They get all of the big interviews, who does 98.5 get? WEEI gets weekly interviews with Ainge and Belichick, as well as other Pats players and thats just in the afternoon. The interviews is what attracts the viewers in my opinion.

According to the Globe, the Big Show finished second to Felger and Massarotti in the 25-54 demographic last sweep.

WEEI is in trouble, it would seem. They've certainly fallen a bit from when they were on top of the world a few years back.

WEEI reminds me of Coakley; lazy, complacent and not doing anything different, they seemed to have ignored 98.5 thinking they would just go away..

Did anyone notice John Wallach made the switch from Dale and Holley to 98.5.......

Last edited:
WEEI reminds me of Coakley; lazy, complacent and not doing anything different, they seemed to have ignored 98.5 thinking they would just go away..

Did anyone notice John Wallach made the switch from Dale and Holley to 98.5.......
Uhhm, been around much? That happened months ago.

Uhhm, been around much? That happened months ago.

No, have not been around that much, thanks for asking though;););)

Just started listening to 98.5... was a diehard EEI fan prior.. but need a change.

Last edited:
Just read in the Globe that Schilling refuses to be back on the air until Sheppard is back.

Too bad he didn't get a Conan O'Brien golden parachute....$45m w/ some of that going to staffers hes still getting about $30m. Amazing.

I did misread your post, thats my bad.

WEEI is still the superior station in my opinion even in the afternoons. They get all of the big interviews, who does 98.5 get? WEEI gets weekly interviews with Ainge and Belichick, as well as other Pats players and thats just in the afternoon. The interviews is what attracts the viewers in my opinion.

Again, Felger and Mazz are beating the Big Show in the key demos of 18-49 and 25-54. Those are the demos that advertisers look at when they decide to spend their ad dollars. It doesn't matter who they interview. Besides, Felger and Mazz do get guys like Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Wallach was there the day they launched in August.

Too bad he didn't get a Conan O'Brien golden parachute....$45m w/ some of that going to staffers hes still getting about $30m. Amazing.

It's one thing to be laid off. It's another having your boss screw you over because the guy who used to have your job wants his old job back.

Pete getting fired sucks, I actually liked him. How in the world did he get let go before Meter?

Again, Felger and Mazz are beating the Big Show in the key demos of 18-49 and 25-54. Those are the demos that advertisers look at when they decide to spend their ad dollars. It doesn't matter who they interview. Besides, Felger and Mazz do get guys like Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

The irony of this, of course, if that you were posting about how much you wanted local sports talk to improve. Instead, the worst daytime sports radio show in the area is taking those demos at the moment.

I am sorry about Pete. At this time to lose his job is certainly extraordinarily tough.

The only shows I listen to religiously on WEEI are Dale and Holley (when I get a few minutes during the day), the football show, and if I happen to be near a radio/in my car, Mutnansky and Bradford. The rest is unlistenable to me.

That said, I haven't fully converted over to 98.5 either. I more hit up Sirius NFL Radio or Maddog Radio on Sirius.

The irony of this, of course, if that you were posting about how much you wanted local sports talk to improve. Instead, the worst daytime sports radio show in the area is taking those demos at the moment.

In your opinion. I think the Felger & Mazz show is leagues better than the Big Show. And I can't stand either Felger or Mazz, individually. But together, they make for an entertaining duo, they always talk sports, they actually care about sports and generally follow it as closely as they can. They take callers who aren't mentally imbalanced and they have less commercials. Since 98.5 came on, I'd say I listen to it far more than the Big Show.

Last edited:

I don't think that Felger and Mazz are the worst show. I still hate the Big Show far, far more (although getting rid of Sheppard is a move in the right direction). I have been disapointed in Felger and Mazz lately, but I do think they are an upgrade over the Big Show. Maybe Felger and Mazz are getting the Big Show to wise up and get rid of the bafoonery, talking over and insulting guests, and the grab arse crap. I can at least hope.

Last edited:
I don't think that Felger and Mazz are the worst show. I still hate the Big Show more (although getting rid of Sheppard is a move in the right direction). I have been disapointed in Felger and Mazz, but I do think they are an upgrade over the Big Show. Maybe Felger and Mazz are getting the Big Show to wise up and get rid of the bafoonery, talking over and insulting guests, and the grab arse crap. I can at least hope.

I cannot find any numbers that say Felger and Mazz are doing better than the Big Show. The Big Show will always be #1 in Boston for the afternoon drives. They cover the Boston teams better than any other station.

I cannot think of a guest that the Big Show has insulted, besides the guy who asked a question on Calhun's salary at a UConn PC last year. They are always nice and welcoming to every guest that they have. Pete was actually the one who listened to callers and let them talk, the Big O is the one that always interrupts. Some people dont like his approach, I happen to like it and think that it makes for great radio.

From a personal standpoint I am a frequent caller to the Big Show and have never been insulted or anything like that. The one time I called the Felger and Mazz, I was on the air within 5 minutes, I usually have to wait atleast 30 min on WEEI. That shows that the viewers/callers are definitely down on the Sportshub. Also the call screener with 98.5 was rude as well. I'll take the Big Show over Felger and Mazz anyday

In your opinion. I think the Felger & Mazz show is leagues better than the Big Show. And I can't stand either Felger or Mazz, individually. But together, they make for an entertaining duo, they always talk sports, they actually care about sports and generally follow it as closely as they can. They take callers who aren't mentally imbalanced and they have less commercials. Since 98.5 came on, I'd say I listen to it far more than the Big Show.

Although they have gone heavy handed on the "the Pats are cheap" rants lately, I agree. Granted with all the threads on this board by even some of the past Pats defenders, their rants may be reflective of the fans.

I cannot find any numbers that say Felger and Mazz are doing better than the Big Show. The Big Show will always be #1 in Boston for the afternoon drives. They cover the Boston teams better than any other station.

I cannot think of a guest that the Big Show has insulted, besides the guy who asked a question on Calhun's salary at a UConn PC last year. They are always nice and welcoming to every guest that they have. Pete was actually the one who listened to callers and let them talk, the Big O is the one that always interrupts. Some people dont like his approach, I happen to like it and think that it makes for great radio.

From a personal standpoint I am a frequent caller to the Big Show and have never been insulted or anything like that. The one time I called the Felger and Mazz, I was on the air within 5 minutes, I usually have to wait atleast 30 min on WEEI. That shows that the viewers/callers are definitely down on the Sportshub. Also the call screener with 98.5 was rude as well. I'll take the Big Show over Felger and Mazz anyday

The Globe said in their article about Sheppard yesterday that 98.5 is winning in the 25-54 range for the afternoon drive.

Although they have gone heavy handed on the "the Pats are cheap" rants lately, I agree. Granted with all the threads on this board by even some of the past Pats defenders, their rants may be reflective of the fans.

I'll take Pats-are-cheap talk over politics, or steroids, or whatever the Big Show has been talking about of late.

And frankly, I hate to admit it, but Felger has a point when it comes to Cap Hell, which has turned out to be a myth. We, as pats fans (except for Miguel, who knew better) thought the Colts & Jets were hurting themselves long term. The Colts, by always extending their players and doing so with rich contracts, and the Jets, by basically grabbing any player they wanted. As the cap has risen, the threat of Cap Hell has fallen.

Last edited:
The one time I called the Felger and Mazz, I was on the air within 5 minutes, I usually have to wait atleast 30 min on WEEI. That shows that the viewers/callers are definitely down on the Sportshub. Also the call screener with 98.5 was rude as well. I'll take the Big Show over Felger and Mazz anyday

You called one time and used that as a basis to say that 98.5 isn't doing as well in the ratings because they have less callers?

I hope you're not a pollster, scientist or detective.

I can't stand The Big Show. I hope they all get fired.

And no, I don't feel too bad in saying that. I'm sure somebody else will pick them up as the sports media tends to be heavy on recycling. Plus, if they're not morons with their money, all of them should be in good shape. We're not exactly talking about Jimmy working at McDonald's living paycheck to paycheck here.

When I tuned in the last couple of days, I could have sworn Rush Limbaugh had taken over. Last I knew it was SPORTS TALK radio. Not conservative rambling radio. If I could get 98.5 here in North Central CT, I would definitely not hesitate to drop the Big Show for Felger and Mazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News