PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats workout Gohlston

Congrats on knowing that Gholston and Dorsey would bust.

Dorsey is a bust? He was a rookie DT who had 50 tackles and started all 16 games. Thats pretty good for a rookie tackle.

RE:Gholston
I think he would be a particularly poor candidate for a 3-4 OLB for the Patriots,

I disagree. I think the patriots would have given him different responsibilities that fit his abilities.

RE:Gholston

I disagree. I think the patriots would have given him different responsibilities that fit his abilities.

Possibly. I think BB would be more flexible than Mangini about adapting his scheme to the players instead of the players to the scheme. Mangini was remarkably rigid in that regard in NY. But the fact is that Gholston is poorly prepared to play in space, and it would have taken a significant effort to make use of him given what the Pats normally demand of their LBs.

and it would have taken a significant effort to make use of him given what the Pats normally demand of their LBs.

I think, with a player of Gholston's suspected pass rushing talent, what the patriots demand of their LB on that side would change.

Belichick ran a 4-3 the first couple years because thats what his talent dictated. He's put players in all sorts of roles to suite their skills (the Rodney/Tank LB-Safety slot, etc). He's got a WILB thats much more mobile than any of his previous guys, so he can afford to have a slighly less mobile WLB. OR, he turns gholston into a DE and plays him like Jarvis. I just don't think the kid rides the pine.

I think, with a player of Gholston's suspected pass rushing talent, what the patriots demand of their LB on that side would change.

Belichick ran a 4-3 the first couple years because thats what his talent dictated. He's put players in all sorts of roles to suite their skills (the Rodney/Tank LB-Safety slot, etc). He's got a WILB thats much more mobile than any of his previous guys, so he can afford to have a slighly less mobile WLB. OR, he turns gholston into a DE and plays him like Jarvis. I just don't think the kid rides the pine.

Again, I agree with you that BB would have shown more flexibility than Mangini in using Gholston if he had him, and would have found ways to get productivity. Also, again, I think Gholston is a talented player, but a better DE than an OLB conversion candidate. I just don't think Gholston's skills were the best fit, and I think BB wasn't that serious about taking him. But I think BB could plug Eric Mangini in at OLB and get more productivity out of him than Mangini got out of Gholston last year.

Dorsey is a bust? He was a rookie DT who had 50 tackles and started all 16 games. Thats pretty good for a rookie tackle.

You'd need to take that up with the person whose post I quoted. ;-)

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back