PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats, Wilson to part ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson was going to be the starter for the Patriots this past season, until he got hurt again. His coverage ability, when healthy, was something the team missed with him not in the lineup, as we saw again and again. Hopefully, Meriweather will be ready to pick up the slack this season.

Wow. Is all i can say.

Wilson had no speed or coverage ability that is why Sanders took over for him regardless of injury.

Matt Jones out ran Eugene Wilson.

Wow. Is all i can say.

Wilson had no speed or coverage ability that is why Sanders took over for him regardless of injury.

Matt Jones out ran Eugene Wilson.

Feel free to take it up with Dean Pees, as he is the one (if memory serves) who made the statement about Wilson being the starter if he'd been healthy.

Wilson has fizzled out over the past two yrs after his great start. He doesn't seem as willing to stick his nose in there and make a play. Good luck and thanks for the big hits and doing your part to bring SB's to NE.

Something else written in this piece is interesting. So should we be routing for the Eagles to sign Asante??
A Lito shuffle?
The Eagles, who were last in the NFL in turnovers created in 2007, are expected to pursue Samuel in free agency. If they land him, it could open the door for trade talks between the Patriots and Eagles on cornerback Lito Sheppard

Feel free to take it up with Dean Pees, as he is the one (if memory serves) who made the statement about Wilson being the starter if he'd been healthy.

That is PR.

Eagles Super Bowl special teams kickoff coverage.

Wilson hurt.

End of his Patriots career.

Wilson IMO is a player who had great potential as rookie. I think he sold out on his potential after getting injured and he figured out how to make a living playing in the NFL. We have had these players come through Gillette before. Belichick/Pioli see enough in them to bring them in but can't get that next gear out of them ... sadly Wilson became one of those guys. But he'll do okay because like I said ... he has figured out how to make a living playing in the NFL. He'll get a contract from somebody, probably play another 3-4 years and then live very, very well.

and so ends the worst jersey-purchase era of my lifetime

There was a thread not too long ago where a poster made an astute observation: if not for Eugene Wilson tearing his groin and messing up his legs and ankle, he would have been a star for the Pats. He was perfect for the "deep midfielder" role a FS plays in the Cover 3.

James Sanders brings the same amount of run support to the table, but far less range and ball ability as Wilson circa 2004, IMO. Not saying Sanders is dog****, he's pretty good.

"Wilson was a consistent presence in the lineup over the next two seasons (36 games, 35 starts) before things dipped unexpectedly."

Eugene was consistently present in those lineups, he was not a consistent presence...things dipped once Rodney went down because Eugene couldn't think on his own feet without a leader let alone think for a unit.

"I thought the year started off pretty good, I was playing consistent, but then I had the high ankle sprain," he said. "I was ready to come back but I was still on the inactive list for a couple games. I'm not sure the reason why.

"Then when I was active again, it just seemed I was down further and further [on the depth chart]. I don't have an explanation. Maybe free agency had something to do with it."

Look at 3 years of tapes Eugene, and then LOOK IN THE FRIGGIN' MIRROR for the reason.

I do think that if this guy gets back on a defense with a few other kick a## CB's.....He could be very productive again......But I agree with you.....He was not a "leader" or THE guy in the secondary.....He needs to feed off other players.....Good luck to him.......Obviously BB knows what he was doing.....But I wonder.......would he have gotten better coverage on Plaxico? Weird how he just kept moving further down the depth chart.....

I doubt that many folks here will agree, but I had wanted Geno to re-convert to CB as soon as it became clear that Rodney, Sanders and Meriweather (plus S/STers Mitchell and Andrews) were the top choices at Safety. Considering that we had no depth at CB (***ante, Hobbs and Gay. Period.), I thought this would have been a no-brainer. Heck, he maybe should have returned to his All-American position during the '06 season.

Does anyone remember if Wilson was on the field during the Drive That Must Not Be Mentioned?

good questions........

Best wishes to Wilson.

Remember, he saved the day in the secondary in 2003 after BB and Milloy couldn't settle on terms, learning how to play S literally on the fly. He was instrumental in the secondary for two SB seasons.

I too wish Geno the best of luck. He earned his rings.

good luck Geno and thks for the memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back