PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats, Wilson to part ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...r_wilson_its_time_to_cover_a_different_route/

INDIANAPOLIS - After five years, Eugene Wilson and the Patriots have decided to part ways. The two-time Super Bowl starter will become a free agent Friday at 12:01 EST, and he won't be back in New England.

"I'm looking forward to moving on, and at the same time, I wish the best of luck to the Patriots because I don't think I'll be back there this year," Wilson said yesterday. "I'm excited to get into free agency to see what is out there."

Based on informal discussions with personnel executives and coaches at the NFL combine, Wilson should expect to draw some interest, perhaps as soon as the opening weekend of free agency. One club had him ranked as the second-best safety available in free agency, while also valuing that he can play cornerback in five- or six-defensive back packages.

"Everybody got along with everyone," Wilson said, "but I think we all realize this is a business and we move on."

Best of luck to him- he came up huge for us as a rookie.

Yes...I agree good luck..too bad he was injured and hit a plateau...I think many penciled him in as the safety that would be with the team for years..instead..he was more a disappointment..

What a mystery.

"Wilson was a consistent presence in the lineup over the next two seasons (36 games, 35 starts) before things dipped unexpectedly."

Eugene was consistently present in those lineups, he was not a consistent presence...things dipped once Rodney went down because Eugene couldn't think on his own feet without a leader let alone think for a unit.

"I thought the year started off pretty good, I was playing consistent, but then I had the high ankle sprain," he said. "I was ready to come back but I was still on the inactive list for a couple games. I'm not sure the reason why.

"Then when I was active again, it just seemed I was down further and further [on the depth chart]. I don't have an explanation. Maybe free agency had something to do with it."

Look at 3 years of tapes Eugene, and then LOOK IN THE FRIGGIN' MIRROR for the reason.

"Wilson was a consistent presence in the lineup over the next two seasons (36 games, 35 starts) before things dipped unexpectedly."

Eugene was consistently present in those lineups, he was not a consistent presence...things dipped once Rodney went down because Eugene couldn't think on his own feet without a leader let alone think for a unit.

"I thought the year started off pretty good, I was playing consistent, but then I had the high ankle sprain," he said. "I was ready to come back but I was still on the inactive list for a couple games. I'm not sure the reason why.

"Then when I was active again, it just seemed I was down further and further [on the depth chart]. I don't have an explanation. Maybe free agency had something to do with it."

Look at 3 years of tapes Eugene, and then LOOK IN THE FRIGGIN' MIRROR for the reason.

I would say he was neither a consistent presence, nor was he consistently present.

Hard -- but fair.

I'll always remember Geno for the hit against Dallas in the "Bill Bowl" -- the fair hit that was so massive that he got fined for it afterwards. He played with great agility and athleticism that season. It's too bad he didn't become the Pro Bowl type we could have hoped for.

Good luck, man!

Sad to see Geno go, even though he hasn't played consistently since 2004, take care Geno.
Hope you end up in the NFC.

thanks for the memories.

thanks for the memories.

my thoughts exactly. i remember some of the bone crushers he put on the colts receivers over the years and it's sad to see him go. good luck elsewhere.

I never could figure out how Wilson went frm a guy delivering monster hits, to invisible...did he start playing scared?

I never could figure out how Wilson went frm a guy delivering monster hits, to invisible...did he start playing scared?

Agreed....

I thought he was going to be a great player in the beginning... but, he was off and on at best.

Oh well...

Probably, he was hurt for a few years and then there was an influx of safeties on the team. He just couldn't catch up.

He could start on another team, and if he can stay healthy, make a good career for himself

Good luck Sir. Thanks for all the contributions and glad that the parting is without any negative comments, at least on public.

The team that has him ranked second best is just stupid.

Thats like me saying the best LB in Free Agency was Larry Izzo.

i bet he lands with the jets

I doubt that many folks here will agree, but I had wanted Geno to re-convert to CB as soon as it became clear that Rodney, Sanders and Meriweather (plus S/STers Mitchell and Andrews) were the top choices at Safety. Considering that we had no depth at CB (***ante, Hobbs and Gay. Period.), I thought this would have been a no-brainer. Heck, he maybe should have returned to his All-American position during the '06 season.

Does anyone remember if Wilson was on the field during the Drive That Must Not Be Mentioned?

The team that has him ranked second best is just stupid.

Thats like me saying the best LB in Free Agency was Larry Izzo.

Wilson was going to be the starter for the Patriots this past season, until he got hurt again. His coverage ability, when healthy, was something the team missed with him not in the lineup, as we saw again and again. Hopefully, Meriweather will be ready to pick up the slack this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes