PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats tweet: Hernandez released

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not the only one. Find it very odd that people can condone his behaviour since the murder happened but somehow Patriots reaction is somewhat unjust.

I'm not saying it's right, but the Ravens set a precedent in the NFL about how this type of situation is handled. And we just did the opposite. That's not going to sit well with folks who think they did the right thing, especially since Hernandez STILL doesn't look as guilty as Ray Lewis (yet.) He might by the end of it, but at this point the charges aren't even out there.

My kneejerk reaction was that they released him too soon, but then I realized that I've always hated the NFL and the Ravens for glorifying Ray Lewis. So in the interest of not being a hypocrite, I revised my opinion after 5 minutes of thought.

Congrats to the 2013 AFC East champs, Miami Dolphins

:cry2:

Banjo must know something we don't know. This case must somehow tie in Brady, Belichick, Wilfork, Mankins, Gronk, Mayo, McCourty, and of course, Wynn.

For the time being, I am presuming the worst for the Patriots 2013 cap. That is, I am presuming that his 2013 and 2014 salaries will hit the Patriots 2103 cap because they were guaranteed and that Aaron did enough to earn his $82,000 offseason workout bonus money. In a couple of days I should be able to find out Aaron's true cap hit and not rely on my amateur interpretations of the CBA. Based on my interpretation of Article 13, Section 6, (d) Guaranteed Contracts ,paragraph (iv) - Any portion of Salary guaranteed for any period after a player is released
for a reason covered by the guarantee (e.g., future years' guaranteed Salary, when the player is released for a reason covered by the guarantee) shall be immediately included in Team Salary at the time of his release at its present value rate calculated using the Discount Rate" if Aaron's 2014 salary which was guaranteed hits the Patriots cap it will hit in 2013, not 2014.
These are the salary cap questions remaining about Aaron Hernandez

1.) Can the Patriots go after the $10,050,000 of Aaron's remaining signing bonus proration even after they waived him today?
2.)Are the Patriots on the hook for Aaron's 2013 and 2014 guaranteed salaries?
3.)Are the Patriots on the hook for Aaron's 2013 offseason workout bonus money?

See http://www.patscap.com/aaron.jpg
for a picture of Aaron's Cap Hits

Thanks, as always, Miguel. Question: what are the chances there's a criminal activity/morals clause, etc., in the contract that the team can invoke to void all or part of his contract?

He wont get bail if its a murder charge

Thanks captain obvious, twitter or not nobody has the official charge, quit the witch hunt and labeling him a murderer.

Thanks, as always, Miguel. Question: what are the chances there's a criminal activity/morals clause, etc., in the contract that the team can invoke to void all or part of his contract?

Adam Schefter says the Pats can't go after it because they released him, but I don't think that is the case.

Overthecap.com states Hernandez lost his guaranteed money (which Rappaport says they would still have pay in his report last week although he is wrong) and the question of whether they can go after his bonus money is up in the air.
http://overthecap.com/patriots-release-aaron-hernandez-some-cap-related-thoughts/

Thank Miguel -- so it sounds like worst case scenario is a little more than $1 million this year, plus whatever they pay a replacement player, and $7.5 million next year, which is $3.3 more than they expected at this moment in time, plus whatever it costs to pay a replacement player. Best case would be actually a small cap savings this year?

One thing I wonder -- since the Patriots are already a good way under the cap and probably don't have too many signings left, is there any possibility or reason they might want to take some of the 2014 hit this year? Could they? Is there any reason to, or does it just carry over anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Well, its 2006 offense time for weeks 1-6, let's go defense..........

Now I got to tell my kids about Robert Edwards and Aaron Hernandez..... such a shame :bricks:

It Is What It Is » What happens to Patriots offense without Aaron Hernandez?

In addition, from a practical perspective, it would make sense for the Patriots to run the ball out of the gate, particularly when you consider the schedule and the run defenses they’ll face over the first six games of the regular season. New England’s first six games are against the Bills (31st in the league in run defense in 2012, having yielded an average of 145.8 rushing yards per game), Jets (26th, 133.6 ypg), Bucs (first, 82.5 ypg), Falcons (21st, 123.2 ypg), Bengals (12th, 107.2 ypg) and Saints (32nd, 147.6 ypg). With the understanding that teams have made changes to their respective defenses since the end of the 2012 season, other than Tampa Bay, none of those teams boast particularly fearsome run defenses.​

Adam Schefter says the Pats can't go after it because they released him, but I don't think that is the case.

This confuses me. You'd think that if there actually is such a clause in his contract, it would provide for his release PLUS no further pay. It's galling to think he'll still collect millions from the team after all this.

BTW, the bonus money issue is going to abitration. I feel bad for the NFLPA because they are going to be forced to defend Hernandez no matter what evidence comes out about his involvement in the murder. If he is dead to rights (forgive the phrasing), they will still have to fight for him to keep his bonus.

Overthecap.com states Hernandez lost his guaranteed money (which Rappaport says they would still have pay in his report last week although he is wrong) and the question of whether they can go after his bonus money is up in the air.
Patriots Release Aaron Hernandez- Some Cap Related Thoughts - Over the Cap

We can be confident that Kraft's attorneys resolved this question before any decision was made to release him.

Thanks captain obvious, twitter or not nobody has the official charge, quit the witch hunt and labeling him a murderer.

Where did I label him a murderer? I said if the "charge" is murder he wont get bail. You said "he would be out on bail"

"Twiter or not nobody" LOL You sound smart.

I'm not saying it's right, but the Ravens set a precedent in the NFL about how this type of situation is handled. And we just did the opposite. That's not going to sit well with folks who think they did the right thing, especially since Hernandez STILL doesn't look as guilty as Ray Lewis (yet.) He might by the end of it, but at this point the charges aren't even out there.

My kneejerk reaction was that they released him too soon, but then I realized that I've always hated the NFL and the Ravens for glorifying Ray Lewis. So in the interest of not being a hypocrite, I revised my opinion after 5 minutes of thought.

I feel that had AH come out on Tuesday, walked into the police station with his lawyers and said this is everything I know about what happened last night, feel free to search my house, my phones, my cctv etc and take as many statements as you like I want you to catch the guy who did this"....I don't think the Patriots would be releasing him so soon.

I really do feel that as AH has clearly looked after his own interests over the last week the Patriots have the right to do the same thing.

I would expect, knowing any good business, they had a plan in place for various outcomes of the investigation and one of those was "release on any kind of arrest" and it obviously got put in place asap.

Right or wrong it shows someone is on the ball. "lets wait and see" never does any business any good. Action always wins the day.

Last edited:
This confuses me. You'd think that if there actually is such a clause in his contract, it would provide for his release PLUS no further pay. It's galling to think he'll still collect millions from the team after all this.

It is covered by the CBA. And it is an untested clause. So no one knows how it will be interpreted.

Now maybe the Pats have another clause that people don't know about. If he is held without bail, it will help their case.

I am sure though the Pats have consulted with a team of lawyers and most likely the League (and possibly the NFLPA) prior to releasing him to find out what they can ad can't do.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2m
Like Patriots with Aaron Hernandez, Browns take swift action with release of Ausar Walcott following his arrest on attempted murder charge

Thank Miguel -- so it sounds like worst case scenario is a little more than $1 million this year, plus whatever they pay a replacement player, and $7.5 million next year, which is $3.3 more than they expected at this moment in time, plus whatever it costs to pay a replacement player. Best case would be actually a small cap savings this year?

One thing I wonder -- since the Patriots are already a good way under the cap and probably don't have too many signings left, is there any possibility or reason they might want to take some of the 2014 hit this year? Could they? Is there any reason to, or does it just carry over anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I'm not Miguel, but I believe the rule is that after June 1 it has to be split over two years. If there is a mechanism allowing them to take more of the hit this year, I'm not aware of it.

Who says he is charged with murder, or convicted for multiple years? He only got arrested and will be out on bail soon, trial hasn't came yet....plus he has cash.

Won't be out on bail if charged with Murder

Hey -- since I don't watch ESPN anymore: Has Ray Lewis started at ESPN yet? Curious what his take might be on this situation.

Patriots Release Aaron Hernandez- Some Cap Related Thoughts - Over the Cap

I am just speculating here, but I would think/hope/expect that the Patriots were in contact with the NFL league offices this past week about what they would do if/when Hernandez was arrested, and what they would do (i.e., release him). The timing of the release was so quick that it makes me believe they were already prepared to do so.

In terms of image and protecting the brand, as far as the league is concerned it was in their best interest that Hernandez be immediately released - probably even much more so than what that means for the Patriots. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Pats and the NFL discussed this ahead of time, with the NFL agreeing with the team that they would cut them some slack in terms of cap relief if they quickly severed ties with him.

Of course in the meantime, until that is announced we have to presume the worse case scenario outlined above in that regard.

Last edited:
BTW, although it is looking more and more like Hernandez is guilty of something more than obstruction, I am still going to wait until we hear the evidence before I cast judgement.

I couldn't agree more. I'm really proud of the Patriots today. Mr. Kraft is a world-class owner, but more importantly, a great citizen.

I feel that had AH come out on Tuesday, walked into the police station with his lawyers and said this is everything I know about what happened last night, feel free to search my house, my phones, my cctv etc and take as many statements as you like I want you to catch the guy who did this"....I don't think the Patriots would be releasing him so soon.

I really do feel that as AH has clearly looked after his own interests over the last week the Patriots have the right to do the same thing.

I would expect, knowing any good business, they had a plan in place for various outcomes of the investigation and one of those was "release on any kind of arrest" and it obviously got put in place asap.

Right or wrong it shows someone is on the ball. "lets wait and see" never does any business any good. Action always wins the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes