PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats tweet: Hernandez released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give the Pats credit that if their security people did find that Hernandez was very much in deep in this murder that they cut him loose rather than doing the Ravens route and put the quality of the player on the field over the fact that their star players was knee deep in a double homicide.

:wha: :confused:

If he did kill someone (which I'm thinking he did), the Pats made the right move.

Just watching this is awful. I was hoping that the 07 Superbowl loss was the worst feeling I'd have as a sports fan, however just watching this stream is seriously competing with that title.

Just watching this is awful. I was hoping that the 07 Superbowl loss was the worst feeling I'd have as a sports fan, however just watching this stream is seriously competing with that title.

Yu aren't kidding. I don't know why I feel like I do. He is no longer a Patriot after all. He was never my favorite player or anything. I don't know. I'm stunned.

Yu aren't kidding. I don't know why I feel like I do. He is no longer a Patriot after all. He was never my favorite player or anything. I don't know. I'm stunned.

Sadly, next to Brady, he was probably my favorite player on the roster. The joy he had on the field every time he made unexpected plays... I was looking forward to years more of it. Years...

As a sports fan it's just crushing. (And I'm not neglecting the human element to the story, but my connection to it is through the sport. This is a football board.)

Sadly, next to Brady, he was probably my favorite player on the roster. The joy he had on the field every time he made unexpected plays... I was looking forward to years more of it. Years...

As a sports fan it's just crushing. (And I'm not neglecting the human element to the story, but my connection to it is through the sport. This is a football board.)

Yes, my three year old daughter would yell "Make it rain!" every time a Pat would score. So yeah.

I just feel bad for Bob Kraft insofar as it is possible to feel sorry for a billionaire. He stepped up for this guy, vouched for him, what a good guy he is, etc. Now he looks like a fool. I don't know, I just want to vomit.

The main reason this doesn't happen more often is that, if I'm not mistaken, the premiums for such insurance also count against the salary cap.

Oh, interesting. Probably a rabbit hole, but it was interesting to read that provision in the CBA.

The Football and Financial Implications of the Patriots Releasing Aaron Hernandez - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Financially, the ramifications of the move are even murkier. In the short term, the Patriots will have just more than $10 million in dead money hit their cap as a result of cutting Hernandez. Because they released him a mere season after signing him to an extension, $10 million of his $12.5 million signing bonus, which was spread over the seven years in his extension, accelerates into the present. Since Hernandez was released after June 1, the cap hit is spread over two seasons, but combined with guaranteed base salaries for 2013 and 2014, the financial impact is noticeable. The Patriots will have $4.1 million in dead money for Hernandez on their cap this season, with a more painful $8.6 million coming next year.

The Patriots can try to recoup some of the money owed to Hernandez, but it's unlikely to prevent the deal from hitting their salary cap. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted that Hernandez's contract does not contain any "failure to perform" clauses that would allow the Patriots to skip out on paying him the remaining $3.25 million due from his signing bonus or his guaranteed base salaries in 2013 ($1.32 million) and 2014 ($1.14 million). According to Rapoport, most Patriots contracts contain such a clause, but Hernandez's deal only holds that to be the case in terms of his workout bonuses, which should save the Patriots a mere $82,000 in 2013 and $500,000 in 2014. The only way the Patriots could save more money would be if another team signed Hernandez, with their payments offsetting some or all of the money the Patriots were otherwise due to pay him.​

Yes, my three year old daughter would yell "Make it rain!" every time a Pat would score. So yeah.

I just feel bad for Bob Kraft insofar as it is possible to feel sorry for a billionaire. He stepped up for this guy, vouched for him, what a good guy he is, etc. Now he looks like a fool. I don't know, I just want to vomit.

I hear you, but I will say one thing:

You know, I don't think Mr. Kraft looks like a fool. I think him taking swift action as he did kind of negates that. I just have so much respect for him as an owner, ESPECIALLY because he's such a fan of the team as well. It's very, very hard to be in that position and he does an incredibly good job of it. He stays out where the playbook is concerned and steps right in when the s*******m starts. He's like the anti-Jerry-Jones. I love him as much as you can love a billionaire you don't know and are jealous of deep down. LOL

After seeing some reports that AH's 2014 salary was $1.137 million went on the NFLPA site and verified that it was $1.2 million.

The Football and Financial Implications of the Patriots Releasing Aaron Hernandez - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Financially, the ramifications of the move are even murkier. In the short term, the Patriots will have just more than $10 million in dead money hit their cap as a result of cutting Hernandez. Because they released him a mere season after signing him to an extension, $10 million of his $12.5 million signing bonus, which was spread over the seven years in his extension, accelerates into the present. Since Hernandez was released after June 1, the cap hit is spread over two seasons, but combined with guaranteed base salaries for 2013 and 2014, the financial impact is noticeable. The Patriots will have $4.1 million in dead money for Hernandez on their cap this season, with a more painful $8.6 million coming next year.

The Patriots can try to recoup some of the money owed to Hernandez, but it's unlikely to prevent the deal from hitting their salary cap. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted that Hernandez's contract does not contain any "failure to perform" clauses that would allow the Patriots to skip out on paying him the remaining $3.25 million due from his signing bonus or his guaranteed base salaries in 2013 ($1.32 million) and 2014 ($1.14 million). According to Rapoport, most Patriots contracts contain such a clause, but Hernandez's deal only holds that to be the case in terms of his workout bonuses, which should save the Patriots a mere $82,000 in 2013 and $500,000 in 2014. The only way the Patriots could save more money would be if another team signed Hernandez, with their payments offsetting some or all of the money the Patriots were otherwise due to pay him.​

Wow, that makes very, very little sense. Of all the players to skip putting that clause in, why Hernandez? That's beyond stupid by the FO, if true.

The Patriots will have $4.1 million in dead money for Hernandez on their cap this season, with a more painful $8.6 million coming next year.

This presumes that AH's 2014 guaranteed salary hits then 2014 cap. Based on my interpretation of Article 13, Section 6, (d) Guaranteed Contracts ,paragraph (iv) - Any portion of Salary guaranteed for any period after a player is released for a reason covered by the guarantee (e.g., future years' guaranteed Salary, when the player is released for a reason covered by the guarantee) shall be immediately included in Team Salary at the time of his release at its present value rate calculated using the Discount Rate" I believe thhat AH's 2014 salary will hit the 2013 Pats cap.

I was really looking forward to seeing Hernandez and Gronkowski be our franchise cornerstones for the next 7 years. Just really disappointing.

I hear you, but I will say one thing:

You know, I don't think Mr. Kraft looks like a fool. I think him taking swift action as he did kind of negates that. I just have so much respect for him as an owner, ESPECIALLY because he's such a fan of the team as well. It's very, very hard to be in that position and he does an incredibly good job of it. He stays out where the playbook is concerned and steps right in when the s*******m starts. He's like the anti-Jerry-Jones. I love him as much as you can love a billionaire you don't know and are jealous of deep down. LOL

Oh, I know, I don't personally think he is a fool at ALL but I think he probably feels like one at least a little, which is why the action was so quick. He is no doubt the best owner in the NFL and I hope Hernandez feels every bit of the mess he has made of his life. I hope he never ever forgets how he has disappointed everyone and most of all, Bob Kraft.

I have to go get my son from camp. 40 minutes late? I wish these things would start on time.

This presumes that AH's 2014 guaranteed salary hits then 2014 cap. Based on my interpretation of Article 13, Section 6, (d) Guaranteed Contracts ,paragraph (iv) - Any portion of Salary guaranteed for any period after a player is released for a reason covered by the guarantee (e.g., future years' guaranteed Salary, when the player is released for a reason covered by the guarantee) shall be immediately included in Team Salary at the time of his release at its present value rate calculated using the Discount Rate" I believe thhat AH's 2014 salary will hit the 2013 Pats cap.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 9m

League source tells me if Hernandez is convicted, the "Patriots will have a very strong case when it comes to recouping money."

10 chars....

And my wife loved her Hernandez jersey. :bricks:

If Kraft and BB had their ear to the ground and were convinced that 1) Hernandez was heavily involved in this murder and wasn't the oblivious athlete with a devious entourage or 2) Hernandez had been disingenuous to LE and possibly to the Patriots organization, I wouldn't wait for him to be put behind bars or for a 'the glove don't fit' scenario. I don't want him on my football team anymore.

If Hernandez was erroneously accused, and BB and Kraft still thought enough of his character to stand by him, they probably would.

Wow, that makes very, very little sense. Of all the players to skip putting that clause in, why Hernandez? That's beyond stupid by the FO, if true.

its a guessing game.

no-one knows what will happen with the contract. Certainly not Mr. Rappaport.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL

League source tells me if Hernandez is convicted, the "Patriots will have a very strong case when it comes to recouping money."

Two issues:
- The Patriots recouping money already paid to Hernandez (and other money they are contractually obligated to pay in the future)

- Salary Cap

I read Price's tweet to refer to recouping cash paid, rather than cap relief.

Of course they may need to stand in line and take a number. After he finishes paying his legal counsel if he is convicted what happens then? I am guessing his assets are frozen, pending possible restitution to the family of the victim. There may not be anything be left over for the Krafts.

Wow, the police were thorough. Matching .45 casings from the bottom of a dumpster, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes