PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats "TOP" priorty

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was the op, why wouldn't i comment on people's posts in the thread that i started?

you comment on every single post someone says....its not just this thread

As for respect, your parents must not have taught you that respect is earned, not given freely. You want my respect? Earn it. Post intelligent, well thought out and supported ideas the way that BOR or JSP or AndyJohnson do. I go out of my way to do so with my posts. You could have the courtesy to do the same. Don't take what is said and blow it out of proportion or try to read something into it. If you have a question, ask it. Don't just assume you know it and go off on some tangent. And stick to the subject.

And, if you make a mistake and are called on it, own up to it and thank the person who found it. Don't try and be a spin doctor.

my friend, im sure i have earned more respect than you ever will, academically and athletically, if not, well then im proud of you. also, im sure you dont want to cross the wrong person speaking about their parents and all. im not that person, but you should be careful about that....

you can say you "do all the research" you want. i have a friend who everytime doesnt have a clue, says exactly that. that might make you think you know more than people, but i assure you, it doesnt. also, do the patriots a favor, and start researching OL, OLB, and DB's because thats what we will be looking to improve upon. i have no doubt that BB and Pioli will be waiting for the results of your research so hurry up on that. im sure you go through game film of college prospects and potential FA acquisitions.

anyways, im through with you on this thread. you can go out and look high and dry for the next great long snapper, do research on that too. the patriots though, will probably resign paxton for pretty cheap, he does a good job for us.

oh and congratulations for your 10,280th, 10,281st, 10,282nd, 10,283rd, 10,284th and 10,285 posts...all of which im sure will be coming to dissect each and every thing you disagree with about my post, including grammatical mistakes.

Last edited:
DaBruinz,

You do not know what the patriots are looking for none of us do. You can make educated guesses supported by fact (in your views) I think what some people don't like is you choosing to degrade people and telling them to STFU. It is rude. Remember the Golden Rule. Treat people like you want to be treated.

Some of the difference may be becaue I don't assume any speciifc UFA signings.
Fair enough, but I don't believe I'm going too far out on a limb by projecting Hochstein and Paxton to re-sign. Regarding LS, I'm very comfortable saying one of the two will re-sign. As for Reserve G/C, there is enough depth with signed and ERFA/RFA players to have some comfort before the draft, even if Hochstein goes elsewhere.

For me, the first phase of the offseason ends about two weeks after the UFA period begins. By then, many of our players have been signed, and teams have made initial moves. Also we will know the names of franchised and re-signed players.
I'm more concerned with the 2010 offseason (Sey, Vince, Jarvis, Neal, Faulk, Watson; I believe Mankins, Hobbs, Kaczur, Thomas, Smith, & Gostkowski will be RFA's under the rules of the CBA expiration, but I could be wrong so they are worth noting). Wright and Sanders would seem to be the most critical "departures" to address in this offseason.

INITIAL WISH LIST (Free Agancy Begins February 27th)

STEP ONE - The Relatively Easy Ones
a) Re-sign Hochstein, Evans, Hanson
b) Tender all the ERFA's and add all the Practice Squad players.
c) Give second level tender to RFA's Woods and Britt. I think I'd let Britt go and bring in some others to compete with LeVoir and O'C. I'd also try to extend Woods with a deal similar to the one Yates got.

STEP TWO - A Little Harder
d) re-sign Lew Sanders or free agent replacement (could be Richardson for now)
e) re-sign James Sanders or free agent replacement
f) re-sign Colvin This one I'm not sold on. I love Rosie, but I'm not sure he's more than an emergency signing anymore.
g) re-sign Tank Williams or free agent replacement
h) re-sign Gaffney or free agent replacement

STEP THREE - THE HARD PART
h) Re-sign Wright or free agent replacement
i) Extend Wilfork
j) Extend Seymour
k) Extend Green

STEP FOUR - POSSIBLE
Sign one or two free agents from other teams early.

=================================================================
For me, by March 16th, we will know where we are with most of the above and be ready to consider the rest of free agency and the draft. I would note that all your top six needs are addressed. I moved Thomas inside, although I expect that Guyton will start. I do believe that ILB will be a pick in the first three rounds.
====================================================================

Paxton only signing a one year deal left me perplexed because its not like the Pats didn't have the money to sign him. It could have been that he was seeing what his options were, but he was still re-signed late in the free agency period. Something was going on there that we, the fans, didn't hear about. It could have been a money thing or it could have been that Paxton wanted to see what else was out there. I don't know. But it definitely has made me leary of just assuming he'll be back.

As for Thomas, I know that he got some time long snapping during his rookie year, but did he do any during camp this season? I don't remember hearing about it.
Your welcome.

I'm not going to speculate on Paxton's situation in advance of data, he's a UFA and "shouldn't" be too great a challenge to re-sign. If he is, the Pats currently carry two back-ups for him (and who knows if Wendell hasn't worked on long snapping in his spare time on the Practice Squad), and can target one of the better draft prospects as a priority UDFA. As for Thomas, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his hand in, but I doubt he works on it too extensively.

DaBruinz,

You do not know what the patriots are looking for none of us do. You can make educated guesses supported by fact (in your views) I think what some people don't like is you choosing to degrade people and telling them to STFU. It is rude. Remember the Golden Rule. Treat people like you want to be treated.

Warren - stop being a hypocrite and get off your high horse. You've brought nothing to this thread but barbs and haven't been on subject at all.

I treat people the way they've earned. I give people plenty of chances to be normal and think things out and not be stupid. So, who the hell made you god and gave you the right to tell others what to do?

Like everyone else, you have the option to put me on ignore. If you chose not to, that is YOUR decision. But then you have to live with the consequences of that decision.

Please don't reply in this thread until you decide you actually want to contribute to the subject at hand.

my friend, im sure i have earned more respect than you ever will, academically and athletically, if not, well then im proud of you. also, im sure you dont want to cross the wrong person speaking about their parents and all. im not that person, but you should be careful about that....

Give me a break. Dude, people who tout about how much respect they've supposedly earned are typically the ones who are clueless on the subject. As for who you are, I couldn't care less. You've done nothing here to earn the respect you clearly think you deserve.

you can say you "do all the research" you want. i have a friend who everytime doesnt have a clue, says exactly that. that might make you think you know more than people, but i assure you, it doesnt. also, do the patriots a favor, and start researching OL, OLB, and DB's because thats what we will be looking to improve upon. i have no doubt that BB and Pioli will be waiting for the results of your research so hurry up on that. im sure you go through game film of college prospects and potential FA acquisitions.

Let me know when your reading comprehension has improved to the point when you actually make sense. Because right now, you've only shown that you really haven't been following this thread at all. Because NO WHERE did I say that the Pats wouldn't be looking at OL, OLB or CB.

And yes, like BOX and Ochmed, I do watch some of the games and look at specific players to see how they perform.

anyways, im through with you on this thread. you can go out and look high and dry for the next great long snapper, do research on that too. the patriots though, will probably resign paxton for pretty cheap, he does a good job for us.

You're through with me? Good. Thank you for not subjecting myself or anyone else in this thread to your truly ignorant posts. Its much appreciated.

oh and congratulations for your 10,280th, 10,281st, 10,282nd, 10,283rd, 10,284th and 10,285 posts...all of which im sure will be coming to dissect each and every thing you disagree with about my post, including grammatical mistakes.

Typical of an internet loser. You again have to resort to snide comments about people's posts counts because you can't actually partake in an intelligent conversation. OH, and nice little jab about grammar. Too bad I didn't call you out on any of your screw ups, though i could have.

Your welcome.

I'm not going to speculate on Paxton's situation in advance of data, he's a UFA and "shouldn't" be too great a challenge to re-sign. If he is, the Pats currently carry two back-ups for him (and who knows if Wendell hasn't worked on long snapping in his spare time on the Practice Squad), and can target one of the better draft prospects as a priority UDFA. As for Thomas, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his hand in, but I doubt he works on it too extensively.

Hochstein is a UFA as well. So the Pats only have one person that we know of who can long snap. And we don't know how much practice he's had. Should Paxton be re-signed easily, then its a non-issue. But until that time, its an tissue. Only time will tell.

you comment on every single post someone says....its not just this thread

BTW, I truly wish you wouldn't LIE. Its really not becoming. There are hundreds of threads where I don't comment one way or the other.

I am going to do myself a favor and put your sorry lying arse on ignore so I don't have to deal with your ignorance, stupidity and lies anymore. They just aren't worth it.

Last edited:
Hochstein is a UFA as well. So the Pats only have one person that we know of who can long snap. And we don't know how much practice he's had. Should Paxton be re-signed easily, then its a non-issue. But until that time, its an tissue. Only time will tell.
True, but this is one of those 'In BB I Trust' things. I expect either Paxton or Hochstein will be locked up quickly, especially if there is an issue with Paxton. As far as Hochstein, he's been a UFA before and had no nibbles, heck, look at Neal not getting any significant offers when he was a UFA, I just have a high degree of confidence that Russ "Why can't I be the Director?" Hochstein will wish to continue as a metaphor. I don't disagree with the basis for your ranking, I just don't see it being that difficult a situation for BB/SP.

VJC - You clearly don't understand the importance of the long snapper for you to have such an attitude. In fact, I'd say that you'd be bordline ignorant.

Some things to remember, Paxton was a free agent this past off-season. The Patriots had plenty of cap available to sign him to a long term deal, yet he only signed a 1 year deal. So either he refused a long term deal or the Pats didn't offer him one. In ANY case, that makes long snapper, which is the signle most important special teams position that is not a kicker or punter, a top need. You can feel otherwise, but IMHO, it just means you aren't bothering to look at all the facts.

We've got a long snapper. His name is Lonnie Paxton and he should be an easy resign. The value you place on a niche position is well beyond proportion to what it is worth. If Paxton doesn't resign there will be other free agents to consider. The fact that you rate it top 5 compared to starting positions is the joke that you apparently don't understand. It's not THAT hard to snap a ball. You just need people who are practiced at doing it. LS does not require a freak of nature who has unsual arm strength, size, speed, etc. BTW Hanson has been epic fail at several points in the season. Why isn't punter in your top 5, seeing how you LOVE special teams?

Do me a favor and go do some studying on 3-4 2GAP OLBs who have been successful. Or can't you be bothered? Also, your talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired... Or did you suddently gain the ability to see the future so you know that Woods, Redd, Crabel, Robertson, and Craig are just only going to amount to JAGS in their careers. You're being a complete idiot in saying such.

You sound desperate to be counting on practice squad walk ons to be the solution at OLB. We've had good success stories in Guyton this year and BJGE. But this is not the NORM it's the EXCEPTION. The odds against a walk on practice guy making it on the team or even starting are astronomical. And yet you pencil them in as sure things that PROVE the position is not a need. Now that is the JOKE. It's just math, try doing a little.

BTW, I'll cite anything and everything I can to show that you are being close-minded to the point of being a buffoon.

You can even quote Shakespeare to me but what you say has little to do with objective evaluation of football and what a franchise needs to be successful.

That is you. Its clear that you have your own opinions, some of which aren't based on how the Patriots have handled things in the past. BTW, if you are going to say that Woods hasn't proven anything, then you have to say the same about Guyton, based on what you've presented as supporting evidence.. oh .. wait... you've not presented anything... Hmm....

And you could also say that Mayo hasn't proven anything but you'd be wrong. Nice use of sophistry but it doesn't change the fact that Mayo and Guyton have been our de facto starters at ILB for a large part of the season. ILB is NOT a big need. A rotational 3rd ILB can be drafted in round 5 or an experienced JAG can be brought in to fill up some minutes. Meanwhile the FACT still remains that if you can't pressure the QB you WILL have games where JAG QB's torch your defense no matter what CBs you have back there.

Let's recap.

1. Niche non starter positions IE long snapper are not a top 5 need on any sane GM's mind, because it's easy to fill and certainly won't need to be drafted highly for. When AV left the team, kicker was seen as a really big need at the time, but it only took a 4th round pick for the Pats to secure the guy they felt was the best kicker in the draft. A guy who was also just named to the Pro Bowl this season. Nothing to obssess over, except in your case of course.

2. A pass rusher is a need. In the 3-4 base defense the most pressure comes from OLBs. Therefore OLB is a need. See how I went from A to B to C? I hope you followed along!

3. We have 2 starters at ILB. They are named Mayo and Guyton. They have done a fairly good job even though they are only rookies. They are likely to improve. You can only play 2 ILBs at a time in a 3-4 defense. A 3rd ILB is what we call a BACKUP player.

You do not prioritize backup players over starting positions of need. GMing 101. If Guyton or Mayo had crapped the bed their rookie years, I would agree that ILB is a need, but they really haven't. They've been solid as you can expect a pair of rookies to be. PS Bruschi and Seau, the ILB backups, are still on the roster. And if one of them retires, there will be other free agent options to fill that BACKUP role in 2009.

Last edited:
Give me a break. Dude, people who tout about how much respect they've supposedly earned are typically the ones who are clueless on the subject. As for who you are, I couldn't care less. You've done nothing here to earn the respect you clearly think you deserve.

QUOTE]

i know i said i was done with you but you are just too easy to rip into. do you not realize that YOU were the person who said he earned respect on this board. im not here to earn respect. im only here to give my opinion. if everyone on this board thought i was idiot, i wouldnt care. i know that most of what i say is right, and from what i read, you have a good idea of whats going on but a lot of times you post like you KNOW what is going on. i appreciate the great effort you put into this board, you definitely bring a lot to the table, but you should learn how to earn respect instead of assuming people give it to you. if you earn respect, you dont have to tell people you earned it, they will tell you. that hasnt happened. maybe migtech (you) will tout you

Let me know when your reading comprehension has improved to the point when you actually make sense. Because right now, you've only shown that you really haven't been following this thread at all. Because NO WHERE did I say that the Pats wouldn't be looking at OL, OLB or CB.

QUOTE]

you are amazing...really. you tell me that i have reading comprehension problems. first of all, im sure thats not the case, but im not going to go into that. anyways.

the patriots need OL, OLB and DB's in my opinion. and that is what we need. i think you should start researching those positions, those in which we will most likely address in the offseason (my opinion, i coudl be wrong), and start scouting. Bellichek and Pioli are certainly counting on your expertise. ITS CALLED SARCASM...ever heard of it? probably not. but thats what it is.

Merry Christmas my man. no offense. im not trying to be a jerk, im trying to help you, you need it.

so, first order of business....

Billdgo3484's(supposed to be Billdog) advice to DaBruinz #1-->Having more posts on PatsFans.com doesnt make you a better fan than someone with less

Advice #2 --> just because you have more posts than someone else doesnt mean you are more knowledgeable than anyone else...you CLEARLY think that

PS....more advice to come....because i care about you

The reality is that our "top" priorities as of December 25th will not affect the draft at all, and are largely irrelevant. The off-season is driven by the calendar. Our draft needs and the potential of the players will be in much better focus on March 1st, a few day after free agency starts, after the initial re-signings, after the combines, after the franchise tags, after the RFA tenders and after a few players are greatly overpaid in the first few days of free agency.

BEFORE MARCH 1
1) WRIGHT will be the focus for Pioli. He will try to extend or re-sign him.
2) HOCHSTEIN is close behind. He is the perfect patriot.
3) Decisions on tenders will be made. RFA's Woods (almost for sure), Britt (likely) and Alexander (possibly) will be locked in with a 2nd tier tender keeping the player or getting a first in return. All the ERFA's will be tendered. They have nowhere to go. The Practice Squad will be added as well as another few traning camp players.
4) Franchise tags need to be determined. Cassel is the likely franchisee.
5) Pioli will then focus on locking in who he can. Paxton, Evans, and Hanson are likely signees. Izzo is certainly possible, especially if Alexander isn't tendered. Tank Williams is also likely to be re-singed if he is healthy.
6) MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, we'll sign a free agent or two from other teams.

That's the way it works. Call Paxton #1, #5 or #8. The fact is that the best deep snapper in the league is much more important to Belichick and Pioli than to most posters here. This is also the case for most special teams positions. IMHO, deep snappers and gunners are much more important than #4 or #5 receivers (and probably #3) that many of you care about so much. I've seen hundreds of posts on who would be our #4 or #5 receiver, and why we need to keep six receivers. It is instructive to see how many passes were caught this year by the receivers beyond the first three.

We will argue, as we have for years, and certainly before the draft, as we do every year. The OLB that you all say is so so critical may or not be addressed MUCH AT ALL in the 30 additions we make in free agency and the draft. What does that mean? Does it mean that you guys are football gurus and Belichick and Pioli are misguided incompetents. My personal opinion is that the reality is different.

VJC - If/when you decide to stop over-reacting, mis-representing and lying about what people say, you might actually become a half decent poster who could bring alot. Until then, your blathering shows you to be nothing but a hack who just shows to everyone how foolish you are.

Have a Merry X-mas.

Last edited:
The reality is that our "top" priorities as of December 25th will not affect the draft at all, and are largely irrelevant. The off-season is driven by the calendar. Our draft needs and the potential of the players will be in much better focus on March 1st, a few day after free agency starts, after the initial re-signings, after the combines, after the franchise tags, after the RFA tenders and after a few players are greatly overpaid in the first few days of free agency.

BEFORE MARCH 1
3) Decisions on tenders will be made. RFA's Woods (almost for sure), Britt (likely) and Alexander (possibly) will be locked in with a 2nd tier tender keeping the player or getting a first in return. All the ERFA's will be tendered. They have nowhere to go. The Practice Squad will be added as well as another few traning camp players.
5) Pioli will then focus on locking in who he can. Paxton, Evans, and Hanson are likely signees. Izzo is certainly possible, especially if Alexander isn't tendered. Tank Williams is also likely to be re-singed if he is healthy.

That's the way it works. Call Paxton #1, #5 or #8. The fact is that the best deep snapper in the league is much more important to Belichick and Pioli than to most posters here. This is also the case for most special teams positions. IMHO, deep snappers and gunners are much more important than #4 or #5 receivers (and probably #3) that many of you care about so much. I've seen hundreds of posts on who would be our #4 or #5 receiver, and why we need to keep six receivers. It is instructive to see how many passes were caught this year by the receivers beyond the first three.

We will argue, as we have for years, and certainly before the draft, as we do every year. The OLB that you all say is so so critical may or not be addressed MUCH AT ALL in the 30 additions we make in free agency and the draft. What does that mean? Does it mean that you guys are football gurus and Belichick and Pioli are misguided incompetents. My personal opinion is that the reality is different.

Who says Pioli will still be us by the draft? With all the success Dimitroff has had in Atlanta, I can see several organizations being extremely interested in Pioli.

Who says Pioli will still be us by the draft? With all the success Dimitroff has had in Atlanta, I can see several organizations being extremely interested in Pioli.

Pioli isn't going anywhere. The Patriots have already said he's their one guy. BB has said that he's not going anywhere. Dimitroff left with the Pats blessing because he wasn't either of Pioli or BB and there was no way for the Pats to prevent it.

Pioli can go somewhere if he wants to, but he's not going to. He knows that he has as much to do with the Patriots going to 4 SBs as BB and, by Pioli's tones in interviews he knows how much he's appreciated. Pioli doesn't have the ego of his Father-in-law.

BEFORE MARCH 1

UH OH, I agree with everything you said. Well, most everything. I think Alexander and maybe even Izzo are expendable although I agree with your emphasis on special teams so they might last if Guyton and Redd are unable to pick up their slack.

Pioli isn't going anywhere. The Patriots have already said he's their one guy. BB has said that he's not going anywhere. Dimitroff left with the Pats blessing because he wasn't either of Pioli or BB and there was no way for the Pats to prevent it.

Pioli can go somewhere if he wants to, but he's not going to. He knows that he has as much to do with the Patriots going to 4 SBs as BB and, by Pioli's tones in interviews he knows how much he's appreciated. Pioli doesn't have the ego of his Father-in-law.

He may want full control at some point in his career and obviously he has earned it. It is too tough to speculate whether he stays or goes. Time will tell.

I agree with your assessment of Alexander and Izzo. You might include Slater as one of those who can pick up the slack on ST's.

UH OH, I agree with everything you said. Well, most everything. I think Alexander and maybe even Izzo are expendable although I agree with your emphasis on special teams so they might last if Guyton and Redd are unable to pick up their slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes