PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to sign Torry Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see Moss, Welker, Holt and Edelman all on the field together. This could be a scary offense again when Welker is back. :eek:

He's not a bad insurance policy, but he's not what the team needs - a deep threat to take advantage of the double teams that Moss draws (and hopefully Moss CAN continue to draw double teams).

Welker, IMO, can keep defenses honest with his YAC skills but given Welker's skill set he's drawing zone coverage in the middle and isn't a #2 WR (he's our top WR but still a slot receiver and not a deep threat per se)

I'd like to think the team will address this in the draft (which would be a very tall order and a big gamble) or via a trade or team cuts.

He's not a bad insurance policy, but he's not what the team needs - a deep threat to take advantage of the double teams that Moss draws (and hopefully Moss CAN continue to draw double teams).

Welker, IMO, can keep defenses honest with his YAC skills but given Welker's skill set he's drawing zone coverage in the middle and isn't a #2 WR (he's our top WR but still a slot receiver and not a deep threat per se)

I'd like to think the team will address this in the draft (which would be a very tall order and a big gamble) or via a trade or team cuts.

Gaffney has already disproved this argument, and Galloway helped put the nail in the argument's coffin, so I don't know why you keep pointing to it. It's the intermediate threat that's more important.

Let's see 772 yards on a mediocre, run first team with an average to below average QB and signing at a cheap price...and people are complaining about signing him?

He is no Galloway, not be a long shot. He is younger, had much better numbers for a longer period of time on worse teams and doing it with little time missed.

He isn't going to burn you down the sidelines but unlike Galloway he will catch it if you throw it to him. He isn't going to be the top dog on the receiver corps, then again he doesn't need to be and he knows that. He just needs to get the balls thrown to him, which is what he is able to do.

His ability to get at balls thrown to him should make up for some of Welker not being there alongside Edelman taking Welker's role in the slot- helping the team in another area that the other receivers aren't able to do or isn't known yet that they can do...
I know. People have been complaining about the Patriots not doing anything at receiver all off-season. Well guess what, they have and he is a savvy veteran still performing! People complain for the sake of it often with little merit.

Last edited:
I know. People have been complaining about the Patriots not doing anything at receiver all off-season. Well guess what, they have and he is a savvy veteran still performing! People complain for the sake of it often with little merit.

After guys like Greg Lewis and Galloway as of late, you really can't blame some fans from worrying what Holt can bring to the table until the pads are on,I don't believe in some saying he won't be a good addition but I can't say he will be either.

After guys like Greg Lewis and Galloway as of late, you really can't blame some fans from worrying what Holt can bring to the table until the pads are on,I don't believe in some saying he won't be a good addition but I can't say he will be either.

There is no comparison between Tory Holt and those two.

Holt has had 700 yards the last two seasons, he is a good productive player.

Lewis and Galloway had done very little in the season before they signed with the Patriots.

Its nothing like those two signings.

Ive seen a lot of Holt,over the last two years and I really like his work ethic.He has that inate ability to come back on a pass route and make a quick cut,without losing his feet.

He's also a guy who can run that 3-wide combo route,with Moss and Holt on the same side.They had to run this with Aiken last year and he was never able to correctly read Randy's break.

You need someone to run combo routes at Revis,it just doesn't mesh with a TE.

Also can drag Cromartie,off the sideline route which is his strength,towards the left middle,where he tackle's poorly and is prone to release to the safety.

I like receivers who can influence,like Troy and Gaffney,when he was here....also meoin,when he lined up in the slot.

He's a nice pick-up and will really help take the pressure off of edelperson.imao.

Gaffney has already disproved this argument, and Galloway helped put the nail in the argument's coffin, so I don't know why you keep pointing to it. It's the intermediate threat that's more important.

Agree 100%. This team has never had two deep threats when they won super bowls (in fact, they really didn't even have one, unless you count Branch), and even in 2007 the other "deep threat" in Stallworth A) lost his job to Gaffney by year's end and B) caught more passes short or intermediate and then used his skills after the catch to turn them into big gains.

Agree 100%. This team has never had two deep threats when they won super bowls (in fact, they really didn't even have one, unless you count Branch), and even in 2007 the other "deep threat" in Stallworth A) lost his job to Gaffney by year's end and B) caught more passes short or intermediate and then used his skills after the catch to turn them into big gains.

Thats nit-picky to say that the team has never won a SB with a deep threat.

In SB 42, both RM and Stallworth has catches.

If the D makes a stop, you have no case.

Thats nit-picky to say that the team has never won a SB with a deep threat.

In SB 42, both RM and Stallworth has catches.

If the D makes a stop, you have no case.

Even if they do win that game, that means 3/4 of the Super Bowl winning teams lacked two deep threats (or hell, even one).

Adding another deep threat in addition to Moss might be sufficient but it isn't necessary to putting together another playoff contending team.

Even if they do win that game, that means 3/4 of the Super Bowl winning teams lacked two deep threats (or hell, even one).

Adding another deep threat in addition to Moss might be sufficient but it isn't necessary to putting together another playoff contending team.

I'd contend that Patton was a deep threat on SB 36, 38, and 39.

I'd also contend that Branch was a deep-threat- no a true one but IMO he'd sell the "go" and break it off for a deep slant.

I would concede that in terms of being a pure deep threat, neither were in the same class as RM and Stallworth. DP and DB did just enough to stretch the field.

I don't know what most of you are thinking... this is a very solid signing. This adds veteran depth, and a WR who knows how to get open in pass friendly offense.

You guys are nuts to think he won't have an impact.

I'd contend that Patton was a deep threat on SB 36, 38, and 39.

I'd also contend that Branch was a deep-threat- no a true one but IMO he'd sell the "go" and break it off for a deep slant.

I would concede that in terms of being a pure deep threat, neither were in the same class as RM and Stallworth. DP and DB did just enough to stretch the field.

Right, but even conceding your point for the sake of argument, none of those teams had two legitimate deep threats, so I think it's a stretch to say this WR corps needs another one in addition to Moss.

Like I said, while it might be nice, it's not necessary. I think it's just as big a need to have a solid possession receiver opposite Moss who can run clean routes and beat single coverage. You know, do the types of things Aiken can't.

Last edited:
Right, but even conceding your point for the sake of argument, none of those teams had two legitimate deep threats, so I think it's a stretch to say this WR corps needs another one in addition to Moss.

Like I said, while it might be nice, it's not necessary. I think it's just as big a need to have a solid possession receiver opposite Moss who can run clean routes and beat single coverage. You know, do the types of things Aiken can't.

That's basically what I was trying to say in my post too, thank you for clarifying. Two deep threats are a luxury, but not even close to a necessity.

That's basically what I was trying to say in my post too, thank you for clarifying. Two deep threats are a luxury, but not even close to a necessity.

Agreed Jack and Sicilian. Would like a player like Dez Bryant, but not a critical need.

Yup.

I agree with everybody.

Great signing.

At least we can sign people and not have them hold out

Yup.

I agree with everybody.

Great signing.

Definitely wasn't as good of a signing as LaDainian Tomlinson or Jason Taylor. Those guys are going to monsters this year.

Hey IBB...Too Stupid is too stupid to understand your post..FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back