PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to sign Torry Holt

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't forget we added Crumpler and still can draft a TE tomorrow, so Brady will have plenty of weapons to throw to. Can you imagine Brady having:

Moss, Welker, Edelman, Holt, Tate and Gresham/Pitta? :D That would be sick.

How about someone to hand off to on 3rd and short? :D

I'm still not thrilled about this signing

Although I'm willing to wait to see if he can contribute before I lose my head over it

Torry Holt = Joey Galloway

All in all I'd rather see Holt on the field than Aiken / Stanbach. I still think we draft a WR in Rd 2 or 4 though.

Torry Holt = Joey Galloway

Aside from the fact that he's completely different, you're right. I mean, they do play the same position and all.

I don't care what counterpoints anybody has, as time goes on, I'm getting more and more excited about this pick-up. Holt flew under the radar and is older, but he still averaged 14.2 yards per catch and could have put up a 1,000 yard season if he had been on a pass-first offense with a quarterback better than Garrard. His route running is still as crisp as it was when he first came into the league. If he picks up the offense easily (which he should), he should be a dangerous WR3 with Brady throwing him the ball.

I don't care what counterpoints anybody has, as time goes on, I'm getting more and more excited about this pick-up. Holt flew under the radar and is older, but he still averaged 14.2 yards per catch and could have put up a 1,000 yard season if he had been on a pass-first offense with a quarterback better than Garrard. His route running is still as crisp as it was when he first came into the league. If he picks up the offense easily (which he should), he should be a dangerous WR3 with Brady throwing him the ball.

what you said. he can catch despite his fingers. check it out.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pnDXpxnDlrE/So-uK4yV4BI/AAAAAAAAALk/xh9nQJEZYPo/s400/DSCI0161.JPG

Is fingers are distracting. When he was on NFLN all I watched was his hands wondering how that happened till I looked it up.

I guess when Holt gives someone the middle finger it really screws with that person's mind :eek::confused:

I guess when Holt gives someone the middle finger it really screws with that person's mind :eek::confused:

That is very, very funny::p

Besides wide receivers typically don't breakdown until 35-36 so two good years is not unreasonable.

The Galloway experience last year was probably a BB mistake. My initial thought was use Galloway to stretch the field with Moss running more intermediate routes.

Holt is known as a superior route runner so he is an more natural fit.

im happy with this
good solid vet

Unlike the Galloway signing, I think this was actually a good idea because I think Holt can still play. Don't be fooled by last year. He had a bad QB and a bad team in general.

help at WR position was needed: so...not bad

Let's see 772 yards on a mediocre, run first team with an average to below average QB and signing at a cheap price...and people are complaining about signing him?

He is no Galloway, not be a long shot. He is younger, had much better numbers for a longer period of time on worse teams and doing it with little time missed.

He isn't going to burn you down the sidelines but unlike Galloway he will catch it if you throw it to him. He isn't going to be the top dog on the receiver corps, then again he doesn't need to be and he knows that. He just needs to get the balls thrown to him, which is what he is able to do.

His ability to get at balls thrown to him should make up for some of Welker not being there alongside Edelman taking Welker's role in the slot- helping the team in another area that the other receivers aren't able to do or isn't known yet that they can do...

people throw his yardage and # of catches around a lot, so I thought I'd look up some other stats (from profootballfocus)
ProFootballFocus.com - By Position

he ranked 41st of all nfl receivers in # of snaps played (758 --- to walker's 830)

he was tied with berrian for 33rd in the league (wide receivers only) in targets at 90 (to walker's 100).
(fftoday has him at 101 targets)

71st in the league in catch % at 56.7% (walker = 41st at 63%, welker = 3rd at 80.4% on league high 153 targets)
(fftoday and footballoutsiders have him at only about 50%)

tied for 103rd in yac/rec at 2.2 (walker = 4.1)

according to pff he only dropped 2 balls

so we sign a WR right before the draft. message to the rest of the league: "Oh, we're not drafting a WR. See, we just signed one, why would we draft another".

So I guess we're pretty high on a number of WR's.

Let's see 772 yards on a mediocre, run first team with an average to below average QB and signing at a cheap price...and people are complaining about signing him?

He is no Galloway, not be a long shot. He is younger, had much better numbers for a longer period of time on worse teams and doing it with little time missed.

He isn't going to burn you down the sidelines but unlike Galloway he will catch it if you throw it to him. He isn't going to be the top dog on the receiver corps, then again he doesn't need to be and he knows that. He just needs to get the balls thrown to him, which is what he is able to do.

His ability to get at balls thrown to him should make up for some of Welker not being there alongside Edelman taking Welker's role in the slot- helping the team in another area that the other receivers aren't able to do or isn't known yet that they can do...

I can't wait to see Moss, Welker, Holt and Edelman all on the field together. This could be a scary offense again when Welker is back. :eek:

I can't wait to see Moss, Welker, Holt and Edelman all on the field together. This could be a scary offense again when Welker is back. :eek:

Key word, when. I wouldnt expect Welker till at least week 6 and even then it would be tough to imagine he'll be at full strength. The team is still a good WR short from being a scary offense

Agreed. Could be a really fun year for fans as well as players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST