PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats thinking about Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooks would be a pretty good stopgap if he has anything left. The fact that no one has bit on him including Lovie Smith who has a history with him makes me wonder if he does though.

+1

I had wanted Brooks during the summer, but the fact Lovie just lost his MLB and had Brooks in for a visit and didn't sign him tells me A LOT. Unless of course it was a $$$ issue, which I somehow doubt ...

He's old, but he's the best 4-3 coverage LB that's still left out there. He'd need some time to get into playing shape again, as he hasn't participated in a training camp this offseason, but I'm confident he can hold the fort down until Mayo gets back.

I think there are too many people that are convinced the Pats will be getting the 2002 version of Derrick Brooks, or at least performance that is very close to that level. I sincerely doubt that would be the case. There were times last year where Brooks' play was truly sad, almost embarrassing.

Remember how John Lynch looked in preseason a year ago? In my opinion Brooks' play has deteriorated far more than Lynch's did. If the Pats do sign Brooks I'll be rooting for him to do well, but I think it would be a big mistake to bring him in.

I don't understand the "Go Get Brooks" campaign...

TB took him out on passing downs.
5-6 teams didn't sign him.

I'd be floored if BB signed him.

I don't understand the "Go Get Brooks" campaign...

TB took him out on passing downs.
5-6 teams didn't sign him.

I'd be floored if BB signed him.
Is there a better alternative though?

If Adalius would be moving to the inside, maybe we should try trading for Vrabel. :p

They have enough linebackers to run a 4-3 and even a 3-4 with Thomas/Guyton in the middle, and Paris Lenon is still a FA who was with the team in TC and knows the system. If anyone's going to be picked up, I'd suspect it would be him.

They have enough linebackers to run a 4-3 and even a 3-4 with Thomas/Guyton in the middle, and Paris Lenon is still a FA who was with the team in TC and knows the system. If anyone's going to be picked up, I'd suspect it would be him.

Lenon was signed by the Rams today.

Well, if they want him, they'd better move on it. Chicago's been sniffing around him too, because of their linebacker problems.

Chicago elected not to sign him. If we're seriously transitioning to the 4-3 on a near-fulltime basis, I guess he's worth a look, but I have no idea what he'd do in 3-4.

I'd like to see what it would take for the pats to get derrick johnson from the chiefs.........

Brooks was an outstanding player. Big issue with him and other teams was his decline in speed. The fact that no one's brought him in signals that he probably lost some of that.

My main concern with him and regarding our defense is that Brooks mainly played an attack style, shoot the gap type of defense. With us, he'll have to play read and react, two gap and be called on to take on blocks. Is he going to be able to take on lineman coming his way on running plays?

I heard from a "credible source" that BB is planing on exhuming Ray Nitschke and playing him at ILB/MLB on Sunday.

There are now rumors floating around on other teams' message boards that the Pats have signed him, but nobody can produce a link. I, personally, cannot find anything either. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up though as these rumors are usually true.

Chicago elected not to sign him. If we're seriously transitioning to the 4-3 on a near-fulltime basis, I guess he's worth a look, but I have no idea what he'd do in 3-4.

Chicago needed to bring in replacements for 2 linebacker spots. They've filled up 1 and are going to give their younger players a chance to show what they can do:

But despite a strong connection between Brooks and head coach Lovie Smith, there will be no reunion in the near future in the wake of the season-ending wrist injury to Brian Urlacher.

"They just want to take more time with their decision," Brooks told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Per Schefter, the Bears hope to give their young linebackers a try. If they can't get it done, then Brooks might be a Bear.

Bears will make Brooks wait | ProFootballTalk.com

Whether this means that the Bears think he's all but finished, or they just don't like the idea of bringing in 2 linebackers who haven't been in the system this season and plugging them in together, I don't know. Either way, a bad performance by the Bear's linebackers and Brooks could become unavailable.

There are now rumors floating around on other teams' message boards that the Pats have signed him, but nobody can produce a link. I, personally, cannot find anything either. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up though as these rumors are usually true.

That would mean they either released somebody or placed Mayo on IR.

Brooks has been a great player over the years but has never played in the Patriots system. I think Guyton can do the job plus Adalius Thomas is versatile enough to switch if needed. Maybe bring back Tank Williams if they need depth. Tank was learning to play LB.

It must be a blow for Willie that he hasn't even (assumed) gotten the call to come in for a work out.

I just don't see the team going after Brooks. Passed up by the Raiders, Saints, Bears...etc.

Something that hasn't been brought up is that Tank Williams is still out there and practiced at the LB position some.

Thats the problem. No one on this board knows what BB is thinking. If we want a pure ILB who can stack the run, then BB would be calling Napoleon Harris. Problem is NH doesnt know the D and he has knee issues I guess.

My buddy told me that Shefter said that Mayo was more of the 10-12 weeks out. Has anyone else heard such?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes