PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats thinking about Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seau said he's filming a tv show and won't be available 'til Nov.-Dec.
Didn't the Patriots already have Brooks in for a tryout this summer ?
I know they are always having guys come in for a quick physical, does anyone know if there were any other lb's that were checked out ?

He is getting old, so there is a question how much he has left. He came in the same draft class as Joey Galloway though, and we don't have any issue with his being on the team.

Several teams have worked him out and decided not to sign him, including the Bears who play the same system he played his whole career in with a guy who coached him in the past (Lovie Smith). That leads people to wonder if he can still play, especially given his game was based on his speed and he is getting older. His numbers did drop off last year, although his 7 passes defensed and an Int isn't that bad.

from the article AD would take over the middle, Brooks on the outside.

Much as I respect Derrick Brooks, I'd have to lean towards Seau or Bruschi in this situation.

Remember: The guy being replaced is an MLB - - who calls the plays and directs the Defense (one of the most complex in the NFL). You can't just fly Derrick Brooks in and expect him to do that job within several months.

however if you put Thomas in the middle as your run stuffer, and Brooks on the outside as your rush/cover guy, it could work in the short run and give Mayo time to recover for the 2nd half.

I say bring him in, work him out, and if he's in shape and still has a burst....sign him our LBs are to god damned young as it is. :D

from the article AD would take over the middle, Brooks on the outside.

I could deal with Brooks on the outside. However, even the OLB has to have a good understanding. Burgess has improved but he's still thinking instead of playing instinctively out there after sevral weeks.

I could deal with Brooks on the outside. However, even the OLB has to have a good understanding. Burgess has improved but he's still thinking instead of playing instinctively out there after sevral weeks.
Burgess isn't a career OLB like Brooks is.

Brooks would be a pretty good stopgap if he has anything left. The fact that no one has bit on him including Lovie Smith who has a history with him makes me wonder if he does though.

Burgess isn't a career OLB like Brooks is.

I see your point, and I'm not completely against bringing in Brooks as an OLB. Just that there is a system knowledge premium when comparing the pros and cons versus calling in Bruschi or Seau. Athleticism, yes Brooks.

I wanted the team to sign Brooks in the offseason. If nothing else, he should be able to help on passing downs.

Derrick Brooks has been a weakside linebacker in a Tampa-2 4-3 defense his entire career; I don't see how that translates to helping the Pats out as a replacement for Mayo.

In addition he had lost a half a step a couple years ago, and far more than that last year. So now his biggest asset, speed, is no longer there. Forget about him being a recent Pro Bowler, that was due to name recognition and not performance. Couple his having slowed down and his age, and he's not going to be a special teams contributor either.

Brooks is most likely a future Hall of Famer but he is no longer the player he once was. There's a reason none of the teams he has visited with since last March have signed him.

Brooks would be a pretty good stopgap if he has anything left. The fact that no one has bit on him including Lovie Smith who has a history with him makes me wonder if he does though.

I dunna know. If he had something worth offering, he'd be on a squad...Thefact that 5-6 teams have passed on him is kinda telling unless hes asking for big dough..?

Considering that the Pats are switching to mostly 4-3 2gap, Brooks size might not be as much of a factor with 4 big guys in front of him. He certainly brings a lot of experience to the table. I wonder if he's still got the legs to play pass coverage though? Guyton looked lost at times out there on pass coverage plays.

Eeks!!!

Age (36) and injuries have taken their toll, and the player who once roamed sideline to sideline making big plays is but a shell of that proud All-Pro linebacker. In the last couple of seasons, Brooks usually was replaced on passing downs. All too often, he came up with nothing but air rather than making a game-turning tackle, such as the first-quarter hit he once put on Michael Vick that had the then-Falcons QB looking over his shoulder and gun-shy the rest of the game.

Derrick Brooks to the rescue? | GazetteOnline.com

Much as I respect Derrick Brooks, I'd have to lean towards Seau or Bruschi in this situation.

Remember: The guy being replaced is an MLB - - who calls the plays and directs the Defense (one of the most complex in the NFL). You can't just fly Derrick Brooks in and expect him to do that job within several months. Even if he were not to direct the defense and they had AD doing it, the MLB still has to really know the intricacies.

The guy being replaced is the middle linebacker in the 4-3. That person needs to be able to go sideline to sideline. Neither Bruschi nor Seau can do that anymore. Brooks, on the other hand, could..

The guy being replaced is the middle linebacker in the 4-3. That person needs to be able to go sideline to sideline. Neither Bruschi nor Seau can do that anymore. Brooks, on the other hand, could..

Previous posters pointed out to me that AD would probably man the middle and that Brooks would probably go outside.

Even that, however takes 4-8 weeks to understand the system and get up to snuff (see: Burgess, Derrick).

If Mayo's injury window is 4-8 weeks, I don't see the advantage of bringing in Brooks versus bringing back Seau or Bruschi who know Pees and the system.

Damn! I wish Tyrone MacKenzie hadn't gotten hurt. He would have had a full TC and pre-season to at least begin to understand the D.

Last edited:
Damn! I wish Tyrone MacKenzie hadn't gotten hurt. He would have had a full TC and pre-season to at least begin to understand the D.

yup that one continues to annoy...it annoyed when Bru was hurt in TC and even more when he retired, also with Crable's injury, now with this injury it grows even more.

Bru said he isn't coming out of retirement and Seau aint walking thru that door til december if at all so maybe Brooks is the best option or maybe we just go with what we have they did ok in the bills game without Mayo though I think the secondary deserves most of that credit as shutting down TO and Evens was what made the de look good in that one.

The NFL site list Brooks as 6'0'' and 235 lbs, ditto on the ESPN site.

He's durable and has never missed a game through his (fourteen years) career.

Linebackers Eric Alexander (240 lbs), Gary Guyton (242 lbs) and Jerod Mayo (242 lbs) weigh slightly more than Brooks.

Derrick Burgess currently wears the jersey number fifty-five wore by Brooks with Tampa Bay.

A source with knowledge of the team’s thinking says about the possibility of signing Brooks, "They are kicking it around."

The source said discussions are "preliminary" and that there is not yet a timetable.

One possibility is moving Adalius Thomas to the inside, and as Bill Belichick said, "Adalius is a versatile player. We knew that when we signed him."

The 14-year veteran was a perennial Pro Bowler. Bucs coach Raheem Morris, who jettisoned Brooks in a youth movement earlier this summer, made sure to add during the news conference, "You never replace a guy like Derrick Brooks."

On the subject of potentially signing a linebacker to take Mayo’s spot, personnel director Nick Caserio said yesterday, "This time of year, things happen, and you try to address them on an as-needed basis. We'll evaluate the alternatives internally and externally. If we feel like there is an opportunity to add a player who'll help the club, we’ll (do it)."

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Is Derrick Brooks on the Patriots’ radar? “They’re kicking it around.”

Heres the old fart movement starting already... :(

Previous posters pointed out to me that AD would probably man the middle and that Brooks would probably go outside.

Even that, however takes 4-8 weeks to understand the system and get up to snuff (see: Burgess, Derrick).

If Mayo's injury window is 4-8 weeks, I don't see the advantage of bringing in Brooks versus bringing back Seau or Bruschi who know Pees and the system.

It's been posted that Seau is shooting a movie until Nov/Dec and are we sure Bruschi will come back?

Brooks is a future Hall Of Famer, one of the best coverage LBs, has scored more TDs in a single season than any other defensive player ever, has an incredible nose for the ball and still has game, but I'm not sure what position he'd play here.

Whatever the position, he's a guy that any team should love to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back