PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Victor Hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly I'm in the minority on this, but I just don't see what all the enthusiasm is about concerning the signing of Hobson. Hell, I don't even think he has a guaranteed roster spot and he'll have to fight it out with Woods and Alexander who both happen to play special teams well. And I think this is exactly why the Pats signed him to a one year deal and Hobson himself had to settle for a one year deal. I say settle because it's obviously not the optimal contract a guy in the prime of his career should sign unless of course no one else was interested.

In his games against the Pats from the past two seasons, he's done little to nothing and his tallying of six sacks in '06 are really overstated as are his tackle totals. From what I've seen, the guy doesn't have a great motor, is slow to disengage from blocks, gets blown off his lanes even by the likes of Spach let alone the likes of Light, Kaczur, Kyle Brady and Watson, doesn't have the greatest instincts and play-recognition ability nor does he get after the QB like a Vrabel, Colvin, AD or Willie. His overall game, it seems to me, is closer to Tully's than the guys listed above. When projecting him as an ILB, though he does get off blocks, he's a split second late when disengaging and this is the difference between a one to two yard stuff versus a six to seven yard gain. And from either position, he's neither a playmaker nor a intimidator.

In all fairness though, he's not as bad in coverage as people make him out to be, though I'm hardly suggesting coverage is his strength, and he's got decent speed which makes him good in backside pursuit.

IOW, I hardly he's the solution to the hole at ILB and even at this stage in his career and his age, Seau is still a better option if the Pats will continue to employ the Mike or ILB by committee.

Clearly I'm in the minority on this, but I just don't see what all the enthusiasm is about concerning the signing of Hobson. Hell, I don't even think he has a guaranteed roster spot and he'll have to fight it out with Woods and Alexander who both happen to play special teams well. And I think this is exactly why the Pats signed him to a one year deal and Hobson himself had to settle for a one year deal. I say settle because it's obviously not the optimal contract a guy in the prime of his career should sign unless of course no one else was interested.

In his games against the Pats from the past two seasons, he's done little to nothing and his tallying of six sacks in '06 are really overstated as are his tackle totals. From what I've seen, the guy doesn't have a great motor, is slow to disengage from blocks, gets blown off his lanes even by the likes of Spach let alone the likes of Light, Kaczur, Kyle Brady and Watson, doesn't have the greatest instincts and play-recognition ability nor does he get after the QB like a Vrabel, Colvin, AD or Willie. His overall game, it seems to me, is closer to Tully's than the guys listed above. When projecting him as an ILB, though he does get off blocks, he's a split second late when disengaging and this is the difference between a one to two yard stuff versus a six to seven yard gain. And from either position, he's neither a playmaker nor a intimidator.

In all fairness though, he's not as bad in coverage as people make him out to be, though I'm hardly suggesting coverage is his strength, and he's got decent speed which makes him good in backside pursuit.

IOW, I hardly he's the solution to the hole at ILB and even at this stage in his career and his age, Seau is still a better option if the Pats will continue to employ the Mike or ILB by committee.

I think he is better than you make him out to be, but I don't think he is a guaranteed starter and could end up being only a rotational guy.

I think he is better than you make him out to be, but I don't think he is a guaranteed starter and could end up being only a rotational guy.
I tend to agree, he may or may not be a starter, but he's a proven pro who has done well enough in a starting position to hopefully provide a good rotation to spell some of the older guys who end up (IMO) gassed by the mid 3rd to 4th QTR...the upside is if he excels in the scheme, the downside is he's better than our perennial ST backups to give Bruschi and Seau (let's hope) enough of a breather that they don't look like they need a mainline of Geritol by the 4th Quarter.

I tend to agree, he may or may not be a starter, but he's a proven pro who has done well enough in a starting position to hopefully provide a good rotation to spell some of the older guys who end up (IMO) gassed by the mid 3rd to 4th QTR...the upside is if he excels in the scheme, the downside is he's better than our perennial ST backups to give Bruschi and Seau (let's hope) enough of a breather that they don't look like they need a mainline of Geritol by the 4th Quarter.

Exactly, he'll be in a 3-man ILB rotation role and he'll play that role exceptionally well, especially with BB and Peas coaching him in that role. He's a young guy with alot left in the tank who has performed well (not great) but well in a starting role and for the Pats who are so desperate not to have to put a Larry Izzo in that role, this is just what the doctor ordered. Victor Hobson welcome to New England. Plus he's a Big Blue guy, how can we or Tommy complain ?

Last edited by a moderator:
In his games against the Pats from the past two seasons, he's done little to nothing and his tallying of six sacks in '06 are really overstated as are his tackle totals.

How are they overstated? Sacks I would tend to agree with, since he shouldn't really be utilized for his pass-rushing ability.

His overall game, it seems to me, is closer to Tully's than the guys listed above.

Tully was completely one-dimensional. Hobson can at least cover.

Well, here we disagree. Hobson is better than Seau is at this point; or, at least, Seau and Bruschi should not be on the field at the same time. Either way, it's better depth, a rotational guy. I think he could start, because he was on an upward trajectory before last season, and has the athleticism and experience to play in our system.

The way I look at it is if he and Bruschi can rotate like Bruschi and Seau did last year before Colvin's injury (assume Seau doesn't come back), I think he was worth whatever we signed him for. I think he could potentially end up being a solid starter though. I think he will be far better than Monty Beisel, but probably won't reach the levels of Roman Phifer or Vrabel in terms of how he ranks vs. our other free agent LB acquisitions in the past.

From "He who Shall Not Be Named" blog about Hobson:

Just talked to a Jets insider who offered some thoughts on linebacker Victor Hobson. While the 6-foot, 252-pounder was used outside in Eric Mangini’s 3-4, a number of people in the organization wondered if he wouldn’t be better suited inside, particularly since his build made it difficult to engage long-armed tackles and tight ends.

He’s considered extremely smart and tough, although speed is an issue. He’s more than tough enough to take on guards inside and brings plenty of intangibles to the Patriots locker room. If he’s battled anything over his career, it’s inconsistency. That could be mitigated if the Pats spot him and don’t ask him to play full-time, which presumably they won’t.

All things considered, Hobson is considered an excellent signing for this stage of free agency.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/

The way I look at it is if he and Bruschi can rotate like Bruschi and Seau did last year before Colvin's injury (assume Seau doesn't come back), I think he was worth whatever we signed him for. I think he could potentially end up being a solid starter though. I think he will be far better than Monty Beisel, but probably won't reach the levels of Roman Phifer or Vrabel in terms of how he ranks vs. our other free agent LB acquisitions in the past.
I tend to agree, curious to see if he ends up at ILB or OLB in our system though, what we do with Seward should be interesting and will probably give a better idea down the road. But I'm with you, I think in our system, the guy has a chance to be pretty darn special, especially learning from the likes of BB, Bruschi, et al.

I tend to agree, curious to see if he ends up at ILB or OLB in our system though, what we do with Seward should be interesting and will probably give a better idea down the road. But I'm with you, I think in our system, the guy has a chance to be pretty darn special, especially learning from the likes of BB, Bruschi, et al.

based on everything I have seen about this guy, he is going to play inside. He seems to be more built for the inside and his size probably hindered him playing outside in NY. He might play outside in situations, but I can't see him playing most of his time outside though.

we needed an ILB who can play coverage when asked.....this is that guy

we have ILB's who can play the run, their names are Bruschi, and Seau (cuz hes coming back :D)

we have ILB's who can play the run, their names are Bruschi, and Seau (cuz hes coming back :D)
These guys are as old as dirt,like me. We need young legs at ILB that won't wear down.

Your way far off, this guy is no pass coverage LB.

VERY good....BIG move and I think they have waited..to see if when something happens like that before Seward is offered...GREAT news!!
great news?big move? your kidding right ? its an ok move. hardly anything to get all excited about. if he was that good the jets wouldn't have let him go.

Imagine if we enter next season with a LBing corps of AD/Vrabel/Hobson/Gholston. That would be sick. Combine that with Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and that is the best front 7 in the NFL.

Lets not go crazy, but you have my dream depth chart buddy. That aint the best in the NFL, but that could be ******* sick :D

great news?big move? your kidding right ? its an ok move. hardly anything to get all excited about. if he was that good the jets wouldn't have let him go.

I guess you should say the same about Vrabel? He didn't suck, he had one mediocre year and suddenly NY canned him. He's better suited inside, experienced, I think it's realistic to believe him to be a contributor this upcoming season, so yes that is a pretty good move.

Hobson is a nice addition. I still think they'll be looking to turn that #7 pick into a LB and a CB by trading down...

----------------------------------------
Armen Da Pats Fan
Vice-President of the LeKevin "The Splintermaker" Smith Fanclub

=======================================

Hobson was not let go, he was a free agent.

I am also puzzled why Hobson lasted so long on the FA market, the Jets showed very little interest in resigning him, and why he only signed a 1 year deal with the pats

I like Hobson, solid tackler, good guy, durable, only 28, not very fast.

Last edited:
I am also puzzled why Hobson lasted so long on the FA market, the Jets showed very little interest in resigning him, and why he only signed a 1 year deal with the pats

I've asked myself that, too. I think it could be as simple an answer as they have been busy with draft/owner's meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back