PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Victor Hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobson is a nice player but a role player at best. He lacks speed and is an average tackler at best. I do believe he is better suited for the inside but that doesn't mean he's any good.

GREAT signing!

Nice, a tackling machine at ILB. Might we have finally found a Ted Johnson replacement?>

That's what I'm thinking. Big hitter, good tackler?

He was mediocre in 07, coincidently when the Jets were a 4-12 team. The two prior years before he was getting better and better. He's young, perfect signing for this team I think it can big dividends.

I guess this means Seward will not be visiting tomorrow?

Why would signing an OLB have anything to do with signing an ILB like Seward? Yes, some people have talked about moving Hobson inside, but he's never played there.

Seward is still an option. The Pats have until the end of the week, I believe, to give Seward an offer sheet.

Those scouts ratings are awful. How is Vince Wilfork a 75 on the ESPN Scouts Inc ratings? What justifies that, honestly?

He doesn't produce near enough to be ranked anything other than an average starter at best. Darnell Dockett had 10 more tackles and 7 more sacks than Wilfork last year. Man am I regretting tacking Wilfork in the draft last year.

He doesn't produce near enough to be ranked anything other than an average starter at best. Darnell Dockett had 10 more tackles and 7 more sacks than Wilfork last year. Man am I regretting tacking Wilfork in the draft last year.

What? You cannot be serious.

No, you're right. It doesn't mean they will, but the probability is a little higher for CB than it is for LB just because the defensive backfield is still a little more suspect than the LB corps. And am I the only one with reservations when it comes to Hobbs being our number 1? This guy has gotten burned by every good WR in the league (specifically Plaxico Burress in the Super Bowl).

Plaxico Buress had 27 yards total in the SB. On Plaxico's TD, Hobbs jumped to take the inside route away, and didn't have any help over the top. Bad decision on his part, and it cost the Patriots a TD, but he held Burress in check for the majority of that game. I also thought the Safety should have given him support over the top in that situation, but it doesn't really matter now.

Also, Hobbs wasn't "burned by every good WR in the league". Go look at his metrics, they aren't far off from Asante's, and he actually gave up fewer TD's than Samuel over the first half/two thirds of the season.

I like this almost as much as I like the Bryant signing, I think both are solid role players who will do very well in our system and bring much needed depth without breaking the bank. I'd still love to see a strong rushing OLB drafting (Groves is my personal preference but I'm NEVER right about their draft picking) and maybe a 2nd-3rd round CB drafting for depth and long term growth, but all in all, I'm actually really happy with the off season grabs so far. Seward would make me even happier but I'm tempering my expectations on that front since the FO doesn't seem as impressed with him as many here seem to be...I hope that's just the FO settling his value and getting another steal, but I'll be happy to wait and see.

I wonder what this means for Seau - is he on the "outs"?

Any thoughts on a the contract? I'm thinking a 1 year 2-3 milllion deal.
i bet it will be the vet min 790 with 490 something vet cap hit same as the rest of the free agents

Not suprisingly, he's all of the sudden too slow, too small, and too dumb to play in our defense at the ILB position.

Some of those Jets fans seemed to think he sucks, which is fine, as it's their (post Hobson signs with NE) opinion, but some of the other posters made it sound like Hobson was simply a backup, who was never a factor for them.

The guy had 100 tackles, and 6 f**king sacks in 2006, but he did nothing for them, and was a scrub? What a bunch of geniuses!

Edit:

When it comes to size, Hobson is basically the same height as Bruschi, and weighs slightly more at 252lbs. So, he's not to small.

Last edited:
Yes,As soon as I heard Hobson was signed, Ryan Clady jumps to the top of my mock draft for the Patriots and I think is the favorite right now for NE at #7 IF they stay there

I know the ILB and CB positions are still a bit weak despite today's signing of Hobson and last week of Bryant, but those positions can be picked up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds ect:

I think if BB and the FO think Tom Brady is the most important figure on the football field you must make it the MOST important issue to get someone to block in front of him and protect his butt,The right side was adequate during the 18 game win streak but not always the best,especially on the right side and that is where Clady can be the guy unless NE gives up a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something else so that they move up to #2 spot where Jake Long will likely be drafted

I agree with Jack Bauer. CB and LB still more important. I think O'Callaghan can be an upgrade. Clady had a poor wonderlick. Not a Pats type with limited smarts in this system. Too complicated. Clady will not even be consider IMO. Albert is a better choice but #7 is too early.
DW Toys

This guy was my top free agent target this offseason. He's a very solid LB and is well acquainted with the system. He also always has monster games against the Patriots (single-handedly won the game at Gilette two years ago), so he fit the profile of a Belichick target as well.

Agree completely. He's a steady pro who's READY to play ILB in the Pats system, which is mighty hard to find. A good, solid role player who helps get the team to the position you want to be in heading toward the draft: no holes so urgent that you must reach for a position. (I'll go a step further and say a signing like this was necessary and inevitable, because nobody in this draft could start at ILB from day one.)

Some of those Jets fans seemed to think he sucks, which is fine, as it's their (post Hobson signs with NE) opinion, but some of the other posters made it sound like Hobson was simply a backup, who was never a factor for them.

The guy had 100 tackles, and 6 f**king sacks in 2006, but he did nothing for them, and was a scrub? What a bunch of geniuses!

Edit:

When it comes to size, Hobson is basically the same height as Bruschi, and weighs slightly more at 252lbs. So, he's not to small.

My favorite on the Jets board was the guy insisting that he'll have to play OLB with the Pats because he's too small for ILB. :rolleyes:

good signing at this stage of FA, would like to see a trade for lito sheppard, and a drafting of a lb or best available player at 7,but a very good signing ..:rocker:

Patriots.com depth chart lists him as starting next Bruschi. However, the only other ILBs on the team are Larry Izzo and Eric Alexander.

Patriots.com depth chart lists him as starting next Bruschi. However, the only other ILBs on the team are Larry Izzo and Eric Alexander.

The depth at ILB is scary. :(

I love this move. Hobson will make a very good ILB. Manstupid was playing him out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News