PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Victor Hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great move. I think someone here pointed out he has short arms, which makes him more of a fit for us at ILB.

Why? Because we have deep pockets?

This signing, along with the Bryant signing, gives the Pats experienced NFL starters to fill their two most glaring holes. I expect that the Pats will now draft strictly for value, not to fill positional needs. The no. 7 pick will probably be a lineman or something - not a corner and probably not a linebacker.

Last edited:
I love this move. Hobson will make a very good ILB. Manstupid was playing him out of position.
I know Mangini's not a genius, but aside from his own career moves, he's not a total idiot. How do we know Hobson will make a good ILB?

I've seen all manner of quotes so far from people saying he's a good ILB (not you, Pony, an earlier quote) to the expectation that he'll play ILB. From Reiss today, he played OLB in Herm's 4-3 and Mangini's 3-4, and from an old NFL draft report, he played OLB in college.

So, at least he's not converting from DE like Monty Beisel, but we know that Vrabel struggled with the conversion from OLB and he was already familiar with the Patriot's LB scheme. Vrabel did exceptionally well, but it wasn't easy. AD also struggled and also did pretty well, but it also wasn't easy, even though he came from a 3-4 and has tremendous physical talent. And guys like Chad Brown and Beisel did less well, to be kind.

I know we're all reading that with his height and short arms and blocky build and more quickness than speed, he's better suited to ILB. Makes sense. OTOH, if you want the most success on day one of a one year contract, you might start him at OLB and put AD back inside, which he already knows how to play. Then draft a real top-of-the-line speed rusher who can back up Hobson and be the starter next year and you've got your progression.

That makes more sense to me than this fan movement to ILB.

Last edited:
After watching AD's performance in the Super Bowl, I think that he was starting to gel at OLB in our system. Moving him to the inside might not be the smartest of ideas at this point.

After watching AD's performance in the Super Bowl, I think that he was starting to gel at OLB in our system. Moving him to the inside might not be the smartest of ideas at this point.

AD was a monster in the super bowl but struggles for a lot of the year at OLB, especially against the run (Ravens game). I thought he played very well at ILB at the start of the year, especially considering he had never played there before. Thomas will play

Thomas, Vrabel and Hobson gives the Pats position flexibility and increased depth at all 4 LB positions. I expect a OLB to be added in the first 3 rounds and another LB on day 2.

ROLB - Thomas, ROOKIE DAY 1
RILB - Hobson, Alexander
LILB -Bruschi, , Izzo, DAY 2 ROOKIE (or Seward)
LOLB - Vrabel, Woods

AD's a better OLB, than ILB. He can be effective at both positions, but OLB is his more natural position, and his seeing more time at OLB would take advantage of his pass rushing ability. I still think he'll rotate a bit at both positions though.

Getting back to Hobson, I think his size, and ability make more sense at ILB, especially with Vrabel and AD at OLB. Adding a strong pass rusher via the draft, who can be groomed behind Vrabel also seems like a very good idea.

To date, Victor's played in 76 games (58 starts), and has only missed four games, so durability should be a plus.

AD was a monster in the super bowl but struggles for a lot of the year at OLB, especially against the run (Ravens game). I thought he played very well at ILB at the start of the year, especially considering he had never played there before. Thomas will play

Thomas, Vrabel and Hobson gives the Pats position flexibility and increased depth at all 4 LB positions. I expect a OLB to be added in the first 3 rounds and another LB on day 2.

ROLB - Thomas, ROOKIE DAY 1
RILB - Hobson, Alexander
LILB -Bruschi, , Izzo, DAY 2 ROOKIE (or Seward)
LOLB - Vrabel, Woods

From week 11 to week 17 of the regular season, AD had 6 sacks. You already mentioned the SB, where he added another two sacks. So, that's 8 sacks in 10 games, for a player who was new to the Patriots system, and had switched primary position after Colvin went down. Don't forget AD was injured for part of the season, too.

Last edited:
From week 11 to week 17 of the regular season, AD had 6 sacks. You already mentioned the SB, where he added another two sacks. So, that's 8 sacks in 10 games, for a player who was new to the Patriots system, and had switched primary position after Colvin went down. Don't forget AD was injured for part of the season, too.

The main part of the season in which we faced teams like the Colts.

AD's performance last season was undervalued by many Pats fans. He made game changing plays with regularity, both inside and out, when healthy. The ankle injury vs Cleveland hindered him mid season, vs Indy, for example, and Dallas. He had one bad game at OLB, vs Baltimore, the first one he started there. He held up very well vs the run down the stretch, especially in the playoffs. AD can play anywhere he wants to and play it at an elite level. With one year in the scheme under his belt, we can expect a major leap. Next season he will be a complete monster, inside or outside, and a team leader to boot. I would like to see him elected a captain. He is the best LB on the team.

AD's performance last season was undervalued by many Pats fans. He made game changing plays with regularity, both inside and out, when healthy. The ankle injury vs Cleveland hindered him mid season, vs Indy, for example, and Dallas. He had one bad game at OLB, vs Baltimore, the first one he started there. He held up very well vs the run down the stretch, especially in the playoffs. AD can play anywhere he wants to and play it at an elite level. With one year in the scheme under his belt, we can expect a major leap. Next season he will be a complete monster, inside or outside, and a team leader to boot. I would like to see him elected a captain. He is the best LB on the team.
I agree, I suspect we'll see him at ILB and OLB, in a roaming position disrupting a LOT, and I agree, he could be absolutely unbelievable this year.
:ditto:

I know Mangini's not a genius, but aside from his own career moves, he's not a total idiot. How do we know Hobson will make a good ILB?

I've seen all manner of quotes so far from people saying he's a good ILB (not you, Pony, an earlier quote) to the expectation that he'll play ILB. From Reiss today, he played OLB in Herm's 4-3 and Mangini's 3-4, and from an old NFL draft report, he played OLB in college.

So, at least he's not converting from DE like Monty Beisel, but we know that Vrabel struggled with the conversion from OLB and he was already familiar with the Patriot's LB scheme. Vrabel did exceptionally well, but it wasn't easy. AD also struggled and also did pretty well, but it also wasn't easy, even though he came from a 3-4 and has tremendous physical talent. And guys like Chad Brown and Beisel did less well, to be kind.

I know we're all reading that with his height and short arms and blocky build and more quickness than speed, he's better suited to ILB. Makes sense. OTOH, if you want the most success on day one of a one year contract, you might start him at OLB and put AD back inside, which he already knows how to play. Then draft a real top-of-the-line speed rusher who can back up Hobson and be the starter next year and you've got your progression.

That makes more sense to me than this fan movement to ILB.

The fact that Mangini refused to play the 4-3 when he had 4-3 personnel, proves he isn't all that bright. Belichick knew here that you can't force the 3-4 on a team that isn't able to play it because it lacked the personnel. Belichick stayed with the 4-3 and slowly built his 3-4 team.

I agree, I suspect we'll see him at ILB and OLB, in a roaming position disrupting a LOT, and I agree, he could be absolutely unbelievable this year.
:ditto:

Imagine if we enter next season with a LBing corps of AD/Vrabel/Hobson/Gholston. That would be sick. Combine that with Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and that is the best front 7 in the NFL.

Some of those Jets fans seemed to think he sucks, which is fine, as it's their (post Hobson signs with NE) opinion, but some of the other posters made it sound like Hobson was simply a backup, who was never a factor for them.

The guy had 100 tackles, and 6 f**king sacks in 2006, but he did nothing for them, and was a scrub? What a bunch of geniuses!

Edit:

When it comes to size, Hobson is basically the same height as Bruschi, and weighs slightly more at 252lbs. So, he's not to small.

Most of the Steelers fans said that Vrabel was going to be a non-factor for the Patriots too...:bricks:

Jets fans are going to minimize what Hobson is and what he did for the Jets and can do for the Patriots. It is the nature of fans to do that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Imagine if we enter next season with a LBing corps of AD/Vrabel/Hobson/Gholston. That would be sick. Combine that with Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and that is the best front 7 in the NFL.

I'm still not sold on Gholston's work ethic, although he is a freak of nature. I'd rather see Long (in a trade up) or Groves (in a trade down) but the FO surprises me every draft so I generally figure what I'd like to see happen is the last thing that will (which seems to work a heck of a lot better than what I think is a good idea). Either way I agree with your point, and adding Seward might make the depth of the LB Corps even more interesting. I also love the idea of Tank being the 8th man in the box on mid yardage running downs and suspect he may be the unheralded "big pick up" of the offseason that most here aren't talking about much.

The fact that Mangini refused to play the 4-3 when he had 4-3 personnel, proves he isn't all that bright. Belichick knew here that you can't force the 3-4 on a team that isn't able to play it because it lacked the personnel. Belichick stayed with the 4-3 and slowly built his 3-4 team.
Why would you sign a guy to a one-year contract and then put him through a position change when 50% of the time those position changes have failed. Even Chad Brown, who had the size, experience, and smarts, didn't succeed in the transition.

My point is simply that everyone on the board is acting like the conversion from Jets OLB to Pats ILB is a no-brainer. I'm saying it isn't.

I'm also saying that if they draft a high-octane speed rusher, they'll want a veteran in front of him. If that veteran on the outside is AD, they still need an ILB long-term, since Hobson's only signed for one year. If that veteran on the outside is Hobson, their work is done.

Love it, just bring back Junior and we'll have our 3 ILB rotation in full swing, we can draft a Gooden/BBell or Lehman and simply let them learn and develop and step in to that ILB rotation in 09. This kind of smells of the Mike Vrabel heist, a guy shoved out the door and into the perfect defense to fit his attributes. I am loving this signing. Now we can really focus on corner and bring a DRC/McKelvin/Jenkins/Talib in with a trade down to nickel back for us and then slide into a starting role by week 8 while Bryant holds the fort down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this move as key to derailing the 2008 Jets juggernaught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes