PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Victor Hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Hobson has a million tackles, a thousand interceptions, and 2 gazillion sacks.

Signing this guy makes me happy in my face.

why bring seward into this thread??? hasnt it been discussed enough, this thread is about hobson not seward so go look in the mirror

Are you twelve?

Because he didn't fit in well playing outside and they didn't have a spot for him inside.
exactly. if he was that great he could handle both inside and outside lb. hes a good sign and i hope he ends up to be another vrabel but its not like they just signed a pro bowler. hes nothing to get overly excited about imo.

exactly. if he was that great he could handle both inside and outside lb. hes a good sign and i hope he ends up to be another vrabel but its not like they just signed a pro bowler. hes nothing to get overly excited about imo.

Well, he's no Adam Seward, I'll give you that.....

Simply by signing with the NEP, Hobson has become, more through default than ability, our 4th-best LB, and maybe even our 3rd-best.

There's more work to be done here, but it's a good start.

I still want Junior (or a reasonable ILB facsimile thereof) re-signed.

Unfortunately, there appears to be nobody worthy of signing as an OLB. I wish the FO had taken a chance on Darryl Blackstock, ex-Al Groh/UVA 3-4 OLB, when Arizona non-tendered him due to salary cap constraints. He was the guy I wanted the FO to select with the #84 pick of the '05 draft.

The FO still needs to draft an ILB of the future, preferably with one of our 4 top-100 picks. And it needs to draft at least one OLB of the future, preferably with one of our top-63 picks.

And finally, I'm looking forward to hearing Hobson himself talk about possibly playing 3-4 ILB for the NEP.

Has anybody pointed out yet that, with so few options at LB, it was pretty much a Hobson's Choice?

If not, they surely will ...

Has anybody pointed out yet that, with so few options at LB, it was pretty much a Hobson's Choice?

If not, they surely will ...

I think they just did.:bricks:

Well played, sir.

Any thoughts on a the contract? I'm thinking a 1 year 2-3 milllion deal.

Wow, I was way off: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/04/victor_hobson_f.html

A follow-up on the contract signed by LB Victor Hobson with the Patriots:

The deal is a one-year package, and Hobson's base salary is $605,000, which is the minimum for a player with his experience. Hobson also receives a $40,000 signing bonus as part of the deal.

The contract qualifies for the veteran minimum benefit, meaning that Hobson's salary cap charge is $491,720.

Seems like a great bargain

Dat's why you ain't the GM (or whatever your AVsake is):D

The trouble with all of these deals is that they are for only

one year. This time next year, the Pats will have to fill these

same holes again unless they have a hell of a good defensive

draft.

draft.

Leads you to believe they will.

lets hope so....the only question is...why only 1 year?

either he wanted a lot, and th epats gave their usual one year prove it for little money deal........or they expect him not to be needed after this year...

i think its the former

A two year deal without a decent signing bonus sucks for the player. I'm sure the team would be happy to lock him in for three years at low salary options.

Apparently he's just good enough to be able avoid that.

If he's halfway decent there's no way he wants to play his heart out and then be stuck in another year of a low salary.

In other words, a guy has to be pretty desparate to agree to a low cost two year deal - and we're probably better off without such players.

This way - as with Moss last year - he's got every incentive to have a career year.

amazing.

Fernando Bryant and Hobson for less than 1 mil

and then you look at Gay and his deal

Makes me happy to be a pats fan

amazing.

Patience wins out with limited resources. We still need LBs IMO, draft or another free agent?

Just comparing Gay to Bryant is a WOW. Career starter versus constantly injured backup? (realizing Bryants been injured too).

draft.

Gives them a chance to evaluate and offer long term if appropriate

Nothing worse than signing a ton of long term FAs who don't fit.

You make a good point, but I don't see it as a serious problem.

There will always be more FAs and draft picks next year and they seem successful in signing most players they like if the numbers work.

draft.

I just wonder if these short-term deals have anything to do with the uncertainty over the CBA and cap. Remember, the last time there was doubt about the CBA the Pats were pretty hesitant about dealing with free agents (including their own). Other teams were more aggressive, and though they could have been screwed if it didn't work out the way they expected, the new cap ended up bailing them out. I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of that when all hell breaks loose and NE doesn't have the players they want signed up long-term because they didn't know what the CBA situation was going to look like.

amazing.

When Law and Seau finally commit to returning, and you factor in the draft picks and last year's injuries, this team will be ready to roll.

draft.

He obviously wants more money than we (or any other team) are willing to commit to him at this time.

1) He's not going to get locked into a long term contract that is far below what he is worth just because the Jets F'd up and didn't play him in his natural position last year.

2) Likewise, the Pats aren't going to get in a bad CAP situation by signing a player to more than he has proven to be worth who may then fail to play up to his apparant potential.

The one year deal for vet min is a fair deal and the best course of action.

Yes, there is risk on our part if he plays like a demon and then we have to give him that big contract. But there is also risk on his part if he gets hurt while playing for peanuts. Neither of those risks are as bad as option 1 or 2 above.

Last edited:
amazing.

Anyone else have any questions about this being the best FO in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3