PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign RB George Winn, an UDFA from Cincinnati

as long as nobody by the name of Mister Pfister comes along I think we're OK...

Funniest football name I've ever heard was **** Shiner. He was a QB in the NFL in the late 60's and early 70's. Was watching some old NFL Films on the NFL Network, and I heard them say, "QB **** Shiner". I said, no fricken way. Here's his stats.

**** Shiner NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm sorry, but I'd be going by the name Rick Shiner or Richard Shiner.

Funniest football name I've ever heard was **** Shiner. He was a QB in the NFL in the late 60's and early 70's. Was watching some old NFL Films on the NFL Network, and I heard them say, "QB **** Shiner". I said, no fricken way. Here's his stats.

**** Shiner NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm sorry, but I'd be going by the name Rick Shiner or Richard Shiner.

When one takes in to consideration the former President, Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix's name actually becomes a meaningful sentence :)

Could give the following a run for their money:
Hoomanawanui
Fells
Blount
Bolden

The legend of George Winn continues:

It Is What It Is » Rookie George Winn revealed as one of most explosive college rushers of 2012

But this story from Jon Moore underscores just how impactful the young running back was in his senior season at the University of Cincinnati. The 5-foot-10 1/2, 218-pounder, who was signed and then waived by the Texans this spring (thanks in large part to a deep backfield in Houston that left the Texans with no other choice) had a slow first three years as a collegian, but really busted out in 2012 as a senior with the Bearcats when he finished with 1,334 yards and 13 touchdowns on 243 carries.

Moore went inside the numbers and came away with some remarkable stats on Winn’s work, saying he “might be the most explosive and underrated running back in the 2013 NFL Draft” because of his ability to break off long runs. Moore notes that in Winn’s 13 games as a senior, he had 10 games where he finished with at least one rush of 18 yards or more (77 percent). That’s a better percentage than any of the other elite running backs who were a part of this year’s draft class, including Eddie Lacy or Montee Ball.

Moore writes:

“Maybe it’s a scheme thing, maybe it’s a talent thing, but whatever the case, it’s hard to deny a back who consistently finds a seam and runs with such authority. In his first year as a featured starter after the graduation of Isaiah Pead, Winn broke out to the tune of 1,334 yards and 13 touchdowns. For as productive as Winn was, he was consistent too, rushing for at least 70 yards in all but one game.

“Winn doesn’t have rare attributes, but he has a solid physical profile that has served other backs well in NFL. The other good thing is his minimal college workload (321 career carried), which should mean there is plenty of tread left on the tires. It’s also interesting to note that his cousin is wide receiver Derrick Mason, which leads me to believe that he’ll have a strong understanding of professional life.”

Note his strengths on the NFL.com draft preview:

STRENGTHS

Compact back with good upper body and leg strength. Has a bit of a burst once finding the open field, has enough speed to turn the corner and force safeties to take deep angles downfield. Shows patience for a hole to open up on zone plays, can also read a lead blocker effectively to find space. Uses lowered pads, thick legs, and good balance to churn through linebacker tackles in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Not afraid of contact in pass protection, will cut down a blitzer, lower a shoulder on a chip, or stand his ground to use his strength when one-on-one. Also gives great effort to move inside with twisting blitzers and recover after a cut block to get a second hit on a blitzer when possible. Physical play continues on special teams coverage units, as runs through blocks and brings down returners with attitude.

I think he has a good chance of making the roster. Also, Mel Kiper said he might be the next Alfred Morris. I'd take that:

"A guy that I think will be a great 5th or 6th round pick -- you're always looking for that next Alfred Morris -- is George Winn at Cincinnati," Kiper told reporters. "George Winn, for me, is a very underrated player who I thought definitely showed the capability of being a guy who can contribute in the National Football League as a nice late-round pick."

GoBEARCATS.com - University of Cincinnati Official Athletic Site

add another RB to the roster!

The Pats seem to have got some pretty good UDFAs on the offensive side between Sudfeld, Thompkins, and Winn. It'll be interesting to watch them at camp.

I really don't understand this move. I mean, was there not a single RB out of Rutgers that was available?

LOL. For real, right?

As for Winn, sounds like he could be a FB/HB hybrid for us and short yardage back. We'll see how it works out. He's got a chance to compete in camp but likely will only be a depth guy unless he really impresses at camp. Might end up on practice squad though. Our RB depth is already pretty good.

The Pats seem to have got some pretty good UDFAs on the offensive side between Sudfeld, Thompkins, and Winn. It'll be interesting to watch them at camp.

Lots of uncertainties on this roster. Camp should be interesting at all levels.

I can see the headlines coming up -- "Just 'Winn' now. Rookie UDFA leads Pats to win over Jets with 133 rushing yards."

I can see the headlines coming up -- "Just 'Winn' now. Rookie UDFA leads Pats to win over Jets with 133 rushing yards."

Tebow Winns!

Jump pass from Tebow to Winn in the endzone would suit me from a schadenfreudian perspective.

Because of an interest in scouting Cincinnati QB Brendan Kay, I've had the opportunity to watch more George Winn.

1. I'm now a big fan.

2. People are sleeping on him as someone who could make some serious contributions on the roster.

Positives:

1. Winn is antithesis of Laurence Maroney. On ptretty much every carry, he hits the hole hard and decisively. One of his semi-negatives below will be his lack of explosiveness and top end speed but this is somewhat negated by the speed of his decision making in seeing and picking the right hole - he looks so much faster than he really is because of it. Can't stress how impressive this is.

2. Is a very good pass and run blocker. Will look for someone to block and very rarely gets beaten. Unlike some less willing RBs, Winn doesn't just sit in the pocket and wait for a defender to come into his zone before trying to block him, Winn will actively look for someone to block. Also puts in plus plus effort downfield looking for someone to block.

3. Hard to guage ball security without access to fumble stats but in the few games I've seen, Winn doesn't look like a worry in that department at all.

4. As a receiver, Winn doesn't run any complex patterns, he's a screen or slip out of the backfield receiver only from what I've seen. Looks to have a very safe pair of hands though.

5. Rarely goes down on initial contact.

6. "Do Your Job". This Patriot motto fits Winn perfectly. I kept watching him and very rarely saw him make a mistake. I just kept thinking that BB would love his work ethic and reliability.

Negatives:

1.Lacks Ridley's quick feet and doesn't have a great amount of wiggle.

2. Will be a limited receiver although comfortably good at what he does.

3. Just doesn't have the top end speed to regularly go the distance. It's not terrible but I can't see him out-running too many DBs.

I kept thinking of BJGE when I watched Winn and thinking that Winn would be an improvement on him. I wouldn't say that he's necessarily a threat to beat out Ridley, Ridley's quicker feet probably puts him ahead of Winn, but if ridley suffers from fumbleitis issues, I'd be very comfortable starting Winn on a weekly basis. I have no doubt that he can be a 1,000 yard rusher in the same way BJGE was that year.

FWIW

Re: Re: Pats sign RB George Winn, an UDFA from Cincinnati

Of course! He's a real Winn-er. And his size/power should help this coming Winn-ter.

Please, stop the puns! Stop the puns.

Seriously, lets hope this kid makes the most of his narrow winndow of opportunity to make the team. :D

Of course! He's a real Winn-er. And his size/power should help this coming Winn-ter.

If he scores a pre season TD and comes up with a move
called Winnerizing he might make it somewhere that isn't here.

He looks really impressive, fast, hits the hole hard and fast and he does not fall easy.

just think...when he gets cut you can call him George Went...

george-wendt-profile.jpg

Doesn't look very fast or very agile, but seems to run forward and maybe break a tackle or two in the highlights. I will wait and see but not expecting anything...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back