PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats offering #23 & #47 to Jax @ #8 According to Peter King

The question is how much GB likes Jenkins. If they traded down they likely still could get their choice of the rest of the corners.

Not a bad point. They may go CB in the first.

I have no idea who the Jags want. Some say Crabtree or Maclin. Which seems silly to me based on bigger needs they have. They could get a WR in the second. They need o line help, DT help and secondary help. Just a lot of help.

Not to mention they COULD take Sanchez word is. They are not sold on Garrard, dont blame them.

Last edited:
If Bill trades 23 & 47 for #8, and then drafts an Effin Wide Effin Receiver, he will have easily made the worst trade of his tenure as HC of the NEP.

I cannot put into words how strongly I object to throwing away a valuable 2nd-rounder just to pay a lot more money to somebody who will not provide nearly the cost-effectiveness as 2 players taken at 23 & 47.

Folks, this is a deep draft with lots of quality & quantity at positions where we have need. But this is NOT a top-heavy draft.
Neither Oher nor Andre Smith will be a better LT than Will Beatty.
Neither Crabstree nor Maclin will be that much better than Brian Robiske.
Neither Orakpo nor Everette Brown will be a better OLB/DE than Barwin.
No DB is worth drafting at #8, not even Malcolm Jenkins.
Why draft Raji when we already have Wilfork?
Monroe & Jason Smith will be gone by #8.
Neither Ayers nor Tyson Jackson will help our pass rush, though I might take them at 23.
Not one of the USC LBs are close to being worthy of #23, never mind #8.

So unless Monroe slips to #8, the only player even worthy of considering for a trade-up is Aaron Curry. If that's the case, then I would bite my tongue and accept it, as long as Bill uses ALL of his other top-100 picks.

But under NO EFFIN CIRCUMSTANCES should we WASTE 2 picks on an EFFIN WIDE EFFIN RECEIVER. How the EFF is Brady going to pass to all of them, esp. when his OL CAN'T EVEN KEEP HIM HEALTHY?

This Fantasy Football obsession with giving our QB more "toys" & "weapons", at the expense of our OL & pass-rush & Secondary, really pisses me off. The NEP scored the most points in league history in 2007; how the EFF did that work for ya?

You are making statements based on your opinion that you can't back up.

You have no idea if Oher or Smith will be better than Beatty. Evidently Smith was doing something right at Alabama to warrant being labeled one of the top 3 players in the entire draft.

I guarantee you there is a good chance that Crabtree will be much better than Robiske. Then again they could both bust out. Rookie Wr's are a crapshoot.

I like Barwin and I understand the difference between a 3-4, 4-3 LB. But you can't honestly predict that Barwin will not be a bust? Are you positive the best teacher in all of football couldn't coach Brown or Orapko?

If BB likes Malcolm Jenkins at 8 then maybe he is worth drafting at 8?

Raji is one of the best-safest players in the draft. Are we certain Wilfork and Seymour are going to be on the roster after next season?

I've seen mocks with Munroe falling to 9. However I think you are right on this one.

USC LBs scare me too. However if BB picks one then I am fairly certain they will contribute to this team in some manner.

Does anyone know how Snyder made his money? He seems like a terrible executive.
He's a good executive probably. Just a bad Fantasy Football player.

If Bill trades 23 & 47 for #8, and then drafts an Effin Wide Effin Receiver, he will have easily made the worst trade of his tenure as HC of the NEP.
I don't think the target is Crabtree, but if it is, he's probably a better value at 8 than whoever will be available at 23. We probably were going to take a WR in round 2.
I cannot put into words how strongly I object to throwing away a valuable 2nd-rounder just to pay a lot more money to somebody who will not provide nearly the cost-effectiveness as 2 players taken at 23 & 47.

Folks, this is a deep draft with lots of quality & quantity at positions where we have need. But this is NOT a top-heavy draft.

That's quite a bold statement and much of the NFL disagrees with you.
Robsikie has almost zero upside, he's not even in the same stratosphere as a prospect as Maclin and Crabtree.

You will find a lot people here who agree with you on that, but Orakpo and Brown have much longer track records than Barwin.
Agree
Because Raji is the best DT in this draft and getting him at no.8/9/10 would represent great value. NT's are tough to find and Raji could provide some interior pass rush.
The news today makes it sound more like that Monroe will make it to no.8 than Andre Smith.
Neither Ayers nor Tyson Jackson will help our pass rush, though I might take them at 23.
A lot of NFL people think highly of Ayers, he looked like he could provide a pass rush at the Senior Bowl. I don't want him, but he has some very vocal supporters. Jackson has been compared to Kevin Carter, Richard Seymour, and Ty Warren, so I think he'd provide a decent pass rush for a 3-4 End, but he wouldn't upgrade what we have in 2009. He would be a great insurance policy in case of an injury to a starting DE this year and especially against Seymour bolting as a FA.
Not one of the USC LBs are close to being worthy of #23, never mind #8.]

So unless Monroe slips to #8, the only player even worthy of considering for a trade-up is Aaron Curry. If that's the case, then I would bite my tongue and accept it, as long as Bill uses ALL of his other top-100 picks.

I think all of us liked the idea of using 6 top 100 picks, but it has always been a very unlikely scenario for it to actually happen.
But under NO EFFIN CIRCUMSTANCES should we WASTE 2 picks on an EFFIN WIDE EFFIN RECEIVER. How the EFF is Brady going to pass to all of them, esp. when his OL CAN'T EVEN KEEP HIM HEALTHY?

This Fantasy Football obsession with giving our QB more "toys" & "weapons", at the expense of our OL & pass-rush & Secondary, really pisses me off. The NEP scored the most points in league history in 2007; how the EFF did that work for ya?

I'd love an OT, so I am right with you there. I'd like Jackson, and I'd like Curry. I like the idea of trading up because I think there is a dropoff in talent from around 10 on. We could get 3 guys who are all pretty much equal at 23, 34, and 47 or get a stud prospect at 8/9/10 by giving up 47 and still get a player at 34.

Not one of the USC LBs are close to being worthy of #23, never mind #8.

Look at it this way. We'll have TB for 5 more years, Moss maybe for another 1 or 2. In that time you have to maximise his skill and give him the weapons to bring home the bacon.2007 is the prime example and with Crabtree, Talyor at RB, more options at TE etc we'd potentially be even better

Maybe BB realised last year when Brady went down that he's the golden goose and you win games by scoring points and keeping the opposition off the field

If we had a draft of Crabtree, Peppers, Will Moore and Lang/Levitre etc I would wet myself, truly

I highly doubt the Pats would trade UP for a receiver this year but what do I know.

If you do, can you get another Chad Jackson?;)

From kffl. Raiders may want to trade down.

Raiders | Open to trading down
Comment (0)
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:06:41 -0700

Steve Corkran, of The Contra Costa Times, reports Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable said the team is interested in trading down in the first round of the NFL Draft if they receive an offer that allows them a chance to better their team. A person in the team's front office said they have been approached by several teams about the potential of trading down. The team may wait to see how the first six picks go before deciding to stay at No. 7 or trade out of it.

Chris Gasper from the Globe comments on the possible tradeup, speculating that Andre Smith or Malcolm Jenkins could be the target:

Moving thoughts about Patriots' draft - The Boston Globe

Smith appears to be rising fast after changing agents and showing some professionalism. Seattle is rumored to like him at OT at #4 and Cincy apparently prefers him to Eugene Monroe at #6. If Seattle goes with Curry or Sanchez and Cincy goes with Andre Smith at 6 then Eugene Monroe could slip to #8. Curry, Raji, Crabtree, Jenkins and one of Smith/Monroe could all be on the board at #8.

I didn't hear it personally, but reportedly Chris Mortenson said on Sports Center that the Patriots are targeting Michael Crabtree if they move up to #8.

Just heard Mort's report. It wasn't much of a report and the Crabtree comment was a throw away line at the end. He was throwing it out there to see if it sticks.

To paraphrase it was most would think the Pats are looking defense if they trade up but we hear they may be thinking offense and maybe even Crabtree.

Last edited:
Just heard Mort's report. It wasn't much of a report and the Crabtree comment was a throw away line at the end. He was throwing it out there to see if it sticks.

To paraphrase it was most would think the Pats are looking defense if they trade up but we hear they may be thinking offense and maybe even Crabtree.

Thanks for the first hand translation. As I mentioned, I hadn't heard it personally. I had included Crabtree in my original list of possible targets, but I think defense is much more likely.

No one has a clue what anyone will do in this draft. Rick Gosselin's mock looked totally lost to me, and he has some of the best contacts in the business. The Pats could go 5 different ways if the trade up, and 5 different ways if they stay put. And they could trade down.

The raiders were rumored to have great interest in Heyward-Bey who they can have with a trade down.

From kffl. Raiders may want to trade down.

Raiders | Open to trading down
Comment (0)
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:06:41 -0700

Steve Corkran, of The Contra Costa Times, reports Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable said the team is interested in trading down in the first round of the NFL Draft if they receive an offer that allows them a chance to better their team. A person in the team's front office said they have been approached by several teams about the potential of trading down. The team may wait to see how the first six picks go before deciding to stay at No. 7 or trade out of it.

#7 on the cusp of overpriced BS though :(

Would #7 be too rediculous? What was last year's #7 annual salary?

Yahoo Sports Jason Cole reports they want Jackson. He cites 3 different sources:

The trade is unlikely to happen until after the draft begins. The move is contingent on Jackson sliding past the No. 3 spot as the sources also believe the defender could be taken there by the Kansas City Chiefs.

“They [Kansas City and New England] see the same thing in Jackson,” an NFC source said. “They see another Richard Seymour.”

New England would offer at least one of its second-round picks in the deal, with the expectation of moving up to the Jacksonville Jaguars’ spot at No. 8 or the Green Bay Packers’ at No. 9. The belief is that the teams between Kansas City and Jacksonville won’t take Jackson.

Aside from Jackson’s talent, the Patriots may literally use him to replace Seymour after next season. Seymour and Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork are both set to be free agents after the 2009 season. Seymour will turn 30 this season, his ninth in the NFL. By contrast, Wilfork is just 27 and is entering his sixth season.

If it becomes a question of money, the Patriots would likely choose to re-sign Wilfork instead of Seymour.

“Wilfork is the man with that team now,” an AFC source said. “You ask people who have been around that team and they say he grades out as the best defender on the team every week.”

Crabtree RS Soph
CAREER STATS
RECEPTIONS YDS TOUCHDOWNS
231 3,127 41

Robiskie Senior
127 1,866 24

Oh yeah and umm....Crabtree did that in 2 seasons

So what? Brady won SBs without the Crabstree/Randy Moss-type of high dollar/high maintenence WRs.

Stafford & Sanchez also had good "stats", but we also don't need either of them, either.

We need a pass rush, pass protection, a CB (the bigger the better), a SILB (ditto) and a SS who is actually - as opposed to lil' Jimmy Sanders - Strong.

So what? Brady won SBs without the Crabstree/Randy Moss-type of high dollar/high maintenence WRs.

Stafford & Sanchez also had good "stats", but we also don't need either of them, either.

We need a pass rush, pass protection, a CB (the bigger the better), a SILB (ditto) and a SS who is actually - as opposed to lil' Jimmy Sanders - Strong.

Im not necessarily saying I want Crabtree. All i do know is the guy is an absolute beast. Had he been able to participate in the combine and put up some nice numbers 4.45 40 35-40 vert he easily would have been in the top3. The pats are in a position where they have not TRUE NEED; that added witht the fact they have enough picks to get whoever they want makes Crabtree appealing.

Whoah. I think KC owes us a favor. ;)

I think they're just throwing stuff and seeing if anything sticks. Yeah, I'm sure they have a player or two in mind if they get up that high, but they still haven't shown any inclination of desperation.

They also amy want the Chiefs to pull the trigger on Jackson so that Curry possibly falls.

Look at it this way. We'll have TB for 5 more years, Moss maybe for another 1 or 2. In that time you have to maximise his skill and give him the weapons to bring home the bacon.2007 is the prime example...

You're right; 2007 is the prime example...of how NOT to win a SB. The highest-scoring teams in league history did NOT win their championships during the season in which they broke the league single-season scoring record.

Maybe BB realised last year when Brady went down that he's the golden goose and you win games by scoring points and keeping the opposition off the field

No; you win games by protecting the QB, rushing the passer, covering the WRs and getting the Eff off the field on 3rd downs.

If we had a draft of Crabtree, Peppers, Will Moore and Lang/Levitre etc I would wet myself, truly

I would wet myself, too...with tears of anger.

P-Missle & DocE: both of you make some compelling rebuttals, and it's true that I am making ass-umpsions about the WRs, OTs & OLBs based mostly on my opinion of what style of player at each of those positions would be better fits for our NEP. I am also usually of the mindset that I would rather have 2 good players for the same $$ than one possibly great - but not transcendant - player, esp. at a lower priority position of need, and most esp. a position that - more than any other - has produced first-round busts.

Im not necessarily saying I want Crabtree. All i do know is the guy is an absolute beast. Had he been able to participate in the combine and put up some nice numbers 4.45 40 35-40 vert he easily would have been in the top3. The pats are in a position where they have not TRUE NEED; that added witht the fact they have enough picks to get whoever they want makes Crabtree appealing.

I feel that we do have true need: at SS, CB, OLB, SILB, backup DL, and at OL.

Could we use more depth at WR? Absolutely.
Should we use the #8 (23 + 47) overall on a WR? Absolutely not. I'd rather use one of our 3 2nd-rounders or one of our 2 3rd-rounders on a WR instead, or - better still - one of our Second Day picks, plus UDFAs.

Troy Brown was an 8th-rounder;
David Patten was undrafted;
David Givens was a 7th-rounder;
Wes Welker was undrafted;
Deion Branch was a 2nd-rounder - the Last pick of the 2nd round;
Even Randy Moss wasn't drafted until # 21.

At the opposite end:
Terry Glenn was #6 overall - ahead of Marvin Harrison;
Bethel Johnson was an early 2nd-rounder - after a trade-up;
Ben Watson was a 1st-rounder (though with the last pick);
Chad Jackson was an early 2nd-rounder - after another trade-up.

That history scares the Shyte outta me, and I want nothing to do with a WR at #8...or Andre Smith, either. I just can't get the picture of his Pro Day, with his flab & man-boobs, out of my head.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back