PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats offering #23 & #47 to Jax @ #8 According to Peter King

I've lost focus these last few hours. I need to concentrate on the whole draft and not just the first round. To me adult Christmas is tomorrow. Very giddy today which is unusual. I'm usually level headed when it comes to being an armchair gm.

I am always excited on draft day, but usually need time to digest what BB did on draft day. I am a very bad airchair GM.

This year I love that BB let leak that he looking to move up. Is he setting up something? Or does he really have someone targeted?

Should be interesting.

Do you HONESTLY think all the GM's who've known they were picking in the top 5 let alone top 8 just realized now that "OMG Curry doesn't rush the passer, we can't take him this high"? He's been considered the safest pick from DAY ONE. He's the highest rated player by BOTH Mayock and Kiper.

For the record, Mike Mayock has Aaron Curry rated as his #7 prospect in his latest top 20 list. He has Michael Crabtree, who Chris Mortenson says is the Pat's true target in trading up to #8, as his #2 prospect.

Monroe takes over the No. 1 spot in list of top 20 prospects

And Mel Kiper has Aaron Curry going #5 in his latest mock draft.

Updated 2009 mock NFL draft: Mel Kiper breaks down the first round - ESPN

I am always excited on draft day, but usually need time to digest what BB did on draft day. I am a very bad airchair GM.

This year I love that BB let leak that he looking to move up. Is he setting up something? Or does he really have someone targeted?

Should be interesting.

How would you feel if it was an OT of either Andre Smith or Michael Oher?

Can you believe we've had a 220 post thread without once discussing C*nn*r B*rw*n? Unless that's who BB is trying to trade up to 8 for. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

*snickers*

If this happened, I would fall out of my chair, I'd laugh so hard. But I have to think he'd be worth it--the guy's better than any OLB we've ever had, except for Tippet. Yes, I really believe that.

Can you believe we've had a 220 post thread without once discussing C*nn*r B*rw*n? Unless that's who BB is trying to trade up to 8 for. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm totally stunned!?! Barwin and another thread about a certain LB that will not be mentioned........ THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!

In NFL.com's final "mock draft central" 3 out of 4 analysts (Pat Kirwan, Steve Wyche, Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks) have Tyson Jackson going at #3 to KC. 2/4 have Aaron Curry falling to Denver at 12. And 3/4 have BJ Raji, Michael Crabtree and Andre Smith available at #8. None have Malcolm Jenkins going before #14.

Mock draft central: See the NFL.com analysts' projections

Say we trade up to #8 or #9.
Michael Crabtree
Tyson Jackson
BJ Raji
Andre Smith
Eugen Monroe
Brian Orakpo
Jason Smith
Malcolm Jenkins
Assuming Stafford and Sanchez go in the top ten, we will have our pick of at least two of these and I would be elated with any of them

How would you feel if it was an OT of either Andre Smith or Michael Oher?

Estatic! I have watched both play often in the SEC and Smith is a special player. More of a leaner than a drive blocker, but he is the second best player in this draft. (Crabtree)

Oher is a masher. He physically whipped the Florida DL all game long. He is extremely strong.

Estatic! I have watched both play often in the SEC and Smith is a special player. More of a leaner than a drive blocker, but he is the second best player in this draft. (Crabtree)

Oher is a masher. He physically whipped the Florida DL all game long. He is extremely strong.
Differing to your knowledge, does Smith have a decent kick slide? Does he keep his hips down in passing sets?

I'd be thrilled with Oher or Smith. Moreso with Oher than Andre "WatchMyManBoobs" Smith, but you get the idea. I'd love either on this team

I think that line of thinking applies to picking in your own spot, but when you trade up, shouldn't it be for the BPA who also plays a position of need?

Not that I'd hate getting Crabtree at #8.

No. You trade up when theres one guy left who is drastically better than everyone else left.

Jacksonville is probably holding off for the 47 to be changed to 34. I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather keep 23,34 and 47 if thats the case.

Perhaps they or GB is waiting for us to add a Day Two pick to the deal, which would still leave us with three Day One picks, include a top 10 pick, an almost first and a second.

Jacksonville is probably holding off for the 47 to be changed to 34. I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather keep 23,34 and 47 if thats the case.

Perhaps they or GB is waiting for us to add a Day Two pick to the deal, which would still leave us with three Day One picks, include a top 10 pick, an almost first and a second.

I could live with that.

The Jags would love to trade down but maybe they dont want to with the Patriots.

Then again doesn't GB also need a DE bad? Thats who I thought was their target in round 1. Or corner.

:confused:

Last edited:
If Bill trades 23 & 47 for #8, and then drafts an Effin Wide Effin Receiver, he will have easily made the worst trade of his tenure as HC of the NEP.

I cannot put into words how strongly I object to throwing away a valuable 2nd-rounder just to pay a lot more money to somebody who will not provide nearly the cost-effectiveness as 2 players taken at 23 & 47.

Folks, this is a deep draft with lots of quality & quantity at positions where we have need. But this is NOT a top-heavy draft.
Neither Oher nor Andre Smith will be a better LT than Will Beatty.
Neither Crabstree nor Maclin will be that much better than Brian Robiske.
Neither Orakpo nor Everette Brown will be a better OLB/DE than Barwin.
No DB is worth drafting at #8, not even Malcolm Jenkins.
Why draft Raji when we already have Wilfork?
Monroe & Jason Smith will be gone by #8.
Neither Ayers nor Tyson Jackson will help our pass rush, though I might take them at 23.
Not one of the USC LBs are close to being worthy of #23, never mind #8.

So unless Monroe slips to #8, the only player even worthy of considering for a trade-up is Aaron Curry. If that's the case, then I would bite my tongue and accept it, as long as Bill uses ALL of his other top-100 picks.

But under NO EFFIN CIRCUMSTANCES should we WASTE 2 picks on an EFFIN WIDE EFFIN RECEIVER. How the EFF is Brady going to pass to all of them, esp. when his OL CAN'T EVEN KEEP HIM HEALTHY?

This Fantasy Football obsession with giving our QB more "toys" & "weapons", at the expense of our OL & pass-rush & Secondary, really pisses me off. The NEP scored the most points in league history in 2007; how the EFF did that work for ya?

The question is how much GB likes Jenkins. If they traded down they likely still could get their choice of the rest of the corners.

The Jags would love to trade down but maybe they dont want to with the Patriots.

Then again doesn't GB also need a DE bad? Thats who I thought was their target in round 1. Or corner.

Consensus picks seem to be Raji, Orapko and Jenkins from the mocks I've read.

If Bill trades 23 & 47 for #8, and then drafts an Effin Wide Effin Receiver, he will have easily made the worst trade of his tenure as HC of the NEP.

I cannot put into words how strongly I object to throwing away a valuable 2nd-rounder just to pay a lot more money to somebody who will not provide nearly the cost-effectiveness as 2 players taken at 23 & 47.

Folks, this is a deep draft with lots of quality & quantity at positions where we have need. But this is NOT a top-heavy draft.
Neither Oher nor Andre Smith will be a better LT than Will Beatty.
Neither Crabstree nor Maclin will be that much better than Brian Robiske.
Neither Orakpo nor Everette Brown will be a better OLB/DE than Barwin.
No DB is worth drafting at #8, not even Malcolm Jenkins.
Why draft Raji when we already have Wilfork?
Monroe & Jason Smith will be gone by #8.
Neither Ayers nor Tyson Jackson will help our pass rush, though I might take them at 23.
Not one of the USC LBs are close to being worthy of #23, never mind #8.

So unless Monroe slips to #8, the only player even worthy of considering for a trade-up is Aaron Curry. If that's the case, then I would bite my tongue and accept it, as long as Bill uses ALL of his other top-100 picks.

But under NO EFFIN CIRCUMSTANCES should we WASTE 2 picks on an EFFIN WIDE EFFIN RECEIVER. How the EFF is Brady going to pass to all of them, esp. when his OL CAN'T EVEN KEEP HIM HEALTHY?

This Fantasy Football obsession with giving our QB more "toys" & "weapons", at the expense of our OL & pass-rush & Secondary, really pisses me off. The NEP scored the most points in league history in 2007; how the EFF did that work for ya?

Crabtree RS Soph
CAREER STATS
RECEPTIONS YDS TOUCHDOWNS
231 3,127 41

Robiskie Senior
127 1,866 24

Oh yeah and umm....Crabtree did that in 2 seasons

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case