PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats in first place for Wild Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you keep arguing a false premise. The Cassel bashers are all about how much "he sucks". His defenders are simply pointing out the fact: under Cassel, the Patriots are currently a playoff team. One of the real problems on this board is that far too many people think that their opinion is more powerful than, to steal from another site, the "Cold Hard Football Facts":

Cassel is the backup QB to Tom Brady, who was lost for the season.

Cassel is rated 22nd in the NFL in passer rating, among those considered eligible.

There are more than 22 teams in the NFL.

Therefore, even in his first 5 'starts' as the team quarterback, Cassel is playing better than some other teams' starters, at least as far as passer ratings go. He's also 10th in the league in completion percentage, 26th in yards per game and 24th in yards per attempt, so he's in front of other teams' starters there as well.

Counting the first game where Brady got hurt, the Patriots are 3-2 under Cassel and would be a playoff team according to the NFL procedures, if the season were to have ended as of yesterday.

Those are the facts about a backup quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school. "Cassel sucks" is opinion, nothing more. Making thread after thread essentially stating that "Cassel sucks" is idiotic, and it's guaranteed to lead to Cassel defenders countering with posts and threads of their own. The difference is that the Cassel defenders currently have the better argument.

I completely agree here. If you go back and read my posts (you don't have to because you know) I am not a Cassel basher. I think there are too many holes on this team being exposed now that God is injured for him to have 15+ TDs at this point. Nor do I expect it from him. I was more or less using their argument to make a point. That point being that, while I'm ecstatic about our record at this point (I expected us to win 8 games this season after Brady went down), it's too early to crack a smile about playoff positioning. Things change from week to week in the NFL. The Cassel comment, I was basically saying that it COULD be argued that he sucks but at the same time, it wasn't a valid argument. Let's take this week by week. Am I excited that, if the season ended today, we would be in the playoffs? You bet your ass that I do. Am I ready to accept this team as a playoff team after Week 7? You bet your ass I'm not. Too many things change from week to week.

Is it the best thing you ever come up? I haven't told you to shut up when you have different opinions.

Why don't you shut up?

Shut your face.

Am I excited that, if the season ended today, we would be in the playoffs? You bet your ass that I do. Am I ready to accept this team as a playoff team after Week 7? You bet your ass I'm not. Too many things change from week to week.

And on this, I think we can agree 100%. Heck, tonight's game alone shows the volatility of early season records and evaluations. The difference between a win and a loss tonight is 4-2 and the #1 wild card position with the 4th best conference record vs. 3-3 and looking at tiebreakers with 4 other teams.

If we don't make the playoffs it will NOT be because of Cassel's play, if Cassel continues to play as he has been, with improvements as he learns during his first year of play.

If the defense plays at the level of last year, and the other players on offense play even close to their potential, then this team will easily make the playoffs.

And I am one of those who would have traded for Garcia or Huard or whoever. I still think that with either of those two we would be a favorite to go to the AFC title game. HOWEVER, I also think that we can go to the playoffs (the second season) with Cassel at quarterback. Our schedule is a very easy one, and San Diego and Indy are imploding; the jags are not playing well. It seems unlikely that two of these three will make the playoffs. making a wild card spot available for us, even at 10-6.

NOW, if we could just play well enough to go 10-6. I also posted that a 4-4 start will be enough to get us to have a solid chance at 10-6.

But you keep arguing a false premise, as if the Cassel defenders are 100% thrilled by MC and think all is perfect. The Cassel bashers are all about how much "he sucks". His defenders are simply pointing out the fact: under Cassel, the Patriots are currently a playoff team. One of the real problems on this board is that far too many people think that their opinion is more powerful than, to steal from another site, the "Cold Hard Football Facts":

Cassel is the backup QB to Tom Brady, who was lost for the season.

Cassel is rated 22nd in the NFL in passer rating, among those considered eligible.

There are more than 22 teams in the NFL.

Therefore, even in his first 5 'starts' as the team quarterback, Cassel is playing better than some other teams' starters, at least as far as passer ratings go. He's also 10th in the league in completion percentage, 26th in yards per game and 24th in yards per attempt, so he's in front of other teams' starters there as well.

Counting the first game where Brady got hurt, the Patriots are 3-2 under Cassel and would be a playoff team according to the NFL procedures, if the season were to have ended as of yesterday.

Those are the facts about a backup quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school. "Cassel sucks" is opinion, nothing more. Making thread after thread essentially stating that "Cassel sucks" is idiotic, and it's guaranteed to lead to Cassel defenders countering with posts and threads of their own. The difference is that the Cassel defenders currently have the better argument.

I have to disagree with what you said here. The Cassel defenders don't have better argument because all they have is 3-2 record and lame excuses for his performance.

How did we manage to have 3-2 record? You really need to ask yourself this question. The answer is bad. A win is not really a win as some of you point out. It's all about how you win it. If you manage to defeat a 'bad' team with 13 points, how do I expect you to win when facing a 'better' team? It showed in a SD game.

I'm not impressed with the way Cassel has run our O because of his inconsistency. Nobody expects him to be TB but what we expect him to do is to show us what he learned in the last 4 years. So far, he hasn't done that.

I don't mind seeing Pats loosing at all as long as Cassel can 'run up' the score. 13,17,19,30 and 10 are not the score everybody wants to see.

If you didn't learn anything in your 4 years here, is it too late for you to learn the system right now? What did you really do in the last 4 years here beside collecting your check?

Mos and Welker have been here for 1+years. Why does he need to establish his chemistry with them now when he should have done that last year?

01TB didn't have the same WRs and years as Cassel. He is in better situation than 01 TB.

If BB really had the confidence in Cassel, why did Pats invite 2 QBs last month? TB got hurt in the SB but Cassel didn't play in that game. So much for the confidence right there.

Some of you are 'blind' loyal fans when it comes to Cassel and i'm not. Supporting a team is one thing but I will never support a player who is about to destroy the legacy of Pats. That is the differences between you and me.

I have 2 good questions for Cassel defenders and loyal fans to answer:

1-Considering of what TB did in 07, is it really sad to see Cassel turn this team upside down in this season?
2-How many games is pats going to loose before you realize how suck Cassel is?

Last edited:
I have to disagree with what you said here. The Cassel defenders don't have better argument because all they have is 3-2 record and lame excuses for his performance.

How did we manage to have 3-2 record? You really need to ask yourself this question. The answer is bad. A win is not really a win as some of you point out. It's all about how you win it. If you manage to defeat a 'bad' team with 13 points, how do I expect you to win when facing a 'better' team? It showed in a SD game.

I'm not impressed with the way Cassel has run our O because of his inconsistency. Nobody expects him to be TB but what we expect him to do is to show us what he learned in the last 4 years. So far, he hasn't done that.

I don't mind seeing Pats loosing at all as long as Cassel can 'run up' the score. 13,17,19,30 and 10 are not the score everybody wants to see.

If you didn't learn anything in your 4 years here, is it too late for you to learn the system right now? What did you really do in the last 4 years here beside collecting your check?

Mos and Welker have been here for 1+years. Why does he need to establish his chemistry with them now when he should have done that last year?

01TB didn't have the same WRs and years as Cassel. He is in better situation than 01 TB.

If BB really had the confidence in Cassel, why did Pats invite 2 QBs last month? TB got hurt in the SB but Cassel didn't play in that game. So much for the confidence right there.

Some of you are 'blind' loyal fans when it comes to Cassel and i'm not. Supporting a team is one thing but I will never support a player who is about to destroy the legacy of Pats.

Cassel supporters point to the multitude of other problems the team is having and say that only dumbasses who know next to nothing about football will throw the blame squarely on Cassel. Supporters know that Cassel doesn't exactly have a perfect team around him while bashers seem to think that he does. Supporters know that Cassel is not Tom Brady and, therefore, do not have astronomical expectations for him. Bashers seem to think that he's Tom Brady v. 2.0 and expect him to already have thrown for 15+ touchdowns. Supporters have apparently been watching the games this season while bashers have not. THAT, my suddenly coherent friend, is the difference.

Cassel supporters point to the multitude of other problems the team is having and say that only dumbasses who know next to nothing about football will throw the blame squarely on Cassel. Supporters know that Cassel doesn't exactly have a perfect team around him while bashers seem to think that he does. Supporters know that Cassel is not Tom Brady and, therefore, do not have astronomical expectations for him. Bashers seem to think that he's Tom Brady v. 2.0 and expect him to already have thrown for 15+ touchdowns. Supporters have apparently been watching the games this season while bashers have not. THAT, my suddenly coherent friend, is the difference.

It's not the difference. I live in CA. I watched a SD game and listed to radio for Pats game whenever they were available.You really spin your way out of it. Pats has problems but how do you improve your team overall when your O has not been productive even though you have problems at D?

Is it alarming to see your kicker scores more points than your QB? Of course not because Casse was a backup QB.

Last edited:
It's not the difference.

Sure it is.

I live in CA.

Good for you. I live in Florida.

I watched a SD game and listed to radio for Pats game whenever they were available.You really spin your way out of it.

So you ACTUALLY think you have a better observation on this team when the only game you actually saw with your own two eyes was the SD game? Well, I've watched all six games. I see a lot more problems on this team than QB play. But I guess you would have trouble gathering that through auditory methods.

Pats has problems but how do you improve your team overall when your O has not been productive even though you have problems at D?

You just completely destroyed your entire argument. So you're saying the QB is the only problem in one post then in another post you admit "the Pats do has problems"? Hmmmm. Well, let's see. The O isn't productive because Cassel is the second most sacked QB in the league and can only get through two reads: Moss and Welker. Both of them have been taken away by the defense. Problems at D are obviously caused by an anemic pass rush.

Is it alarming to see your kicker scores more points than your QB? Of course not because Casse was a backup QB.

Was it alarming in 01-04? Believe it or not, we actually used to win games 17-10. Or 10-7.

You just completely destroyed your entire argument. So you're saying the QB is the only problem in one post then in another post you admit "the Pats do has problems"? Hmmmm. Well, let's see. The O isn't productive because Cassel is the second most sacked QB in the league and can only get through two reads: Moss and Welker. Both of them have been taken away by the defense. Problems at D are obviously caused by an anemic pass rush.

What does it make your team look if your O and D are not productive?

What does it make yours look if your O is productive while D is not?

You are talking about D. Do you enthusiastically want to defend 13,17,19,30, and 10 whenever you walk out the field? You didn't win your SB with 14 pts.

Last edited:
What does it make your team look if your O and D are not productive? bad

What does it make yours look if your O is productive while D is not?

You are talking about D. Do you enthusiastically want to defend 13,17,19,30, and 10 whenever you walk out the field?

In a nutshell: you agree that there are other problems on the team besides just Cassel. Thanks for agreeing with me. I'm glad that you destroyed your own argument here and it didn't take me hours to get this out of you.

Kontra, this is some of the best reading ever.

For you, imagery of what's to come:

The Patriots are angry and tonight they'z goan kick som a$s:

patriots.jpg

You didn't win your SB with 14 pts.

We didn't. Our smallest point total in a Super Bowl was 20. A whopping six points more than the total you mention. Last year, in a more pass happy, point scoring league, the Giants won the big game while putting up 17. And we may not have won the Super Bowl with 14 points, but we got there with victories in which we frequently only totaled 14 points or less.

I don't mind seeing Pats loosing (sic) at all as long as Cassel can 'run up' the score. 13,17,19,30 and 10 are not the score everybody wants to see.

Wow. Just wow.

Sick what Fantasy football has done to some so-called 'fans'

If the Pats want any shot of making the playoffs, they have to win tonight. I say this because they don't want to lose a 3rd game to an AFC team. I would rather see most of the Pats loses come from NFC teams than AFC teams.

A win is not really a win as some of you point out. It's all about how you win it.

Given your philosophy may I suggest that you follow something like 'Ice Dancing'. It's more to your style of thinking. Too much time watching "Dancing With the Stars"? I'd say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes