PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get Carolina's 2nd round pick in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: With the Bengal's win today....

He is in an unfortunate situation because eyeore *****ed his way out of San Diego and managed to win a ring, and the guy he replaced is going for number #2 this year. Plus Roethlisberger has two as well. But yeah, I don't understand ordaining someone who doesn't have more significant victories. 2006 was their year and it ended with the Pats the doing the Colts the favor of keeping the AFC title game out of San Diego.

if he keeps up his incredible personal stats, he'll definitely be a HOFer, but yeah, without a sb , he'll be marino all over again

The other good news is that the Chargers are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

Exactly! Will SD talk ever STOP?! If Jags Won VS Skins, Bills would have been licking their chops next week VS Jets.

I don't know why some people don't understand that.

I've never seen people not understand that. Sportswriters and commentators, yes. People, no.

oh yeah , that was IN NE, damn how could i forget that?

well......brady's having his best year ever, and green ellis is running wonderfully, so that won't happen again

I don't understand your photograph. Why is your face in parentheses?

If you're curious about the wheeling and dealing that led to the #33 pick, I broke it down over in the draft forum.

The upshot: BB turned #89 overall in the 2009 draft into Brandon Spikes, Zoltan Mesko and the #33 in 2011.

And since there's a 99% certainty he'll trade the 33rd pick for a 1st rounder next year, it's not over yet.

And since there's a 99% certainty he'll trade the 33rd pick for a 1st rounder next year, it's not over yet.

I'm going with the 1%. That would not be a great trade. That pick in particular has far more value than the typical early 2nd round pick. He's traded later 2nd rounders for firsts.

With 3 picks in the 1st 33, starting with one in the teens, plus the 64th pick and an early 3rd in the 70s besides our own 3rd, I see BB moving around to get pretty much the guys he wants outside the top 10, plus ending up with an extra 1st or more likely 2nd in 2011. I pray for an early panic run on QBs in the draft.

Last edited:

I'm going with the 1%. That would not be a great trade. That pick in particular has far more value than the typical early 2nd round pick. He's traded later 2nd rounders for firsts.

With 3 picks in the 1st 33, starting with one in the teens, plus the 64th pick and an early 3rd in the 70s besides our own 3rd, I see BB moving around to get pretty much the guys he wants outside the top 10, plus ending up with an extra 1st or more likely 2nd in 2011. I pray for an early panic run on QBs in the draft.

You're right--I just meant I assume it will be traded. But that's correct, trading it "just" for a 1st rounder wouldn't generate as much value as it should.

I agree with the jist of what you're saying--when all the dust settles, BB usually comes out looking smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.

Regarding BB's always trading back or out of the draft, shoving such scenarios "in people's faces" to prove your point is pretty laughable. One could just as easily point out hundreds of scenarios where BB has traded back and not chosen a future all-world player as proof that his strategy sucks. :confused:

Hundreds? Okay- post them.
But first tell us how many "all-world players" other NFL coaches have drafted for comparisons sake.

Well maybe not "hundreds" :blush: but since we're on the subject of trading up or down, quality vs. quantity, etc., then for starters:

N. Suh, Patrick Willis, Calvin Johnson, A.Peterson, Mario Williams, Michael Turner, Jake Long, Eric Berry, M. Pouncey, Clay Mathews, Michael Oher, Greg Jennings (X100 ;))...

BB's record this decade speaks for itself and his draft stategy has been pretty consistent, but right now I don't hear many people making the argument that we don't need to snag a major impact player or two this year.

Well maybe not "hundreds" :blush: but since we're on the subject of trading up or down, quality vs. quantity, etc., then for starters:

N. Suh, Patrick Willis, Calvin Johnson, A.Peterson, Mario Williams, Michael Turner, Jake Long, Eric Berry, M. Pouncey, Clay Mathews, Michael Oher, Greg Jennings (X100 ;))...

BB's record this decade speaks for itself and his draft stategy has been pretty consistent, but right now I don't hear many people making the argument that we don't need to snag a major impact player or two this year.

Thing is, though, if you can get that major impact player AND extra draft picks, why not?

The interesting thing is that there are so many ways that this team can go, both in terms of positions and flexibility, that I don't think anyone has any clue what the Patriots are going to do in the draft. About the only unlikely thing is packaging a slew of picks to move near the top.

Thing is, though, if you can get that major impact player AND extra draft picks, why not?

The interesting thing is that there are so many ways that this team can go, both in terms of positions and flexibility, that I don't think anyone has any clue what the Patriots are going to do in the draft. About the only unlikely thing is packaging a slew of picks to move near the top.

Unless there is an outstanding impact player who fits our scheme and implementation of the rookie pay scale.. but it would have to be a very special player.

hambone1818 said:
I feel like if people EVER complain about Belichick trading down in the draft (or trading for a pick the following year) this post needs to be shoved in their face. It obviously doesn't always work out this fantastic but there's something to be said about consistently trading for future picks worth more than current picks...you do it every year and you're always guaranteed to have increased value every damn year, I don't know why some people don't understand that.

Because it relies on a couple of things

1) How well you draft ( Getting a Gronk is one thing, getting a Bethel Johnson or Kevin O'Connell is another)

2) Relative strength of the draft in question

Belichick traded the 89th in a draft that was considered to be very strong ( some 4th rounders would have been 2nd rounders in a different draft year) because of players leaving early to avoid the issue of the likely CBA problems in exchange for the 33 in a weaker draft. 33rd overall means a lot less if the players in the draft would be 4th rounders in a different year/class.

"Value" is relative. Elite defensive linemen, offensive tackles, QBs and corners are usually found in the 1st round of the NFL draft. You can occasionally hit on one later in the draft, but it's extremely rare. The case of a Tom Brady or a Kurt Warner is extremely rare. This is why so many teams reach for QBs in the first round, the relative odds dictate that they have to roll the dice to take a chance on a bust for the low chance of getting a ten year elite QB. Sure Belichick's strategy is sound for flexibility, but the impact is felt in core positions like O line, D line and, for a long time, his secondary.

The picks have no value if you choose poorly. They have relative value depending on the strength of the draft in question. Every year you push an asset you can use now is another asset you can't use to max out the potential of Tom Brady's prime. This is a QB driven league and Brady is the reason the Pats are a Superbowl contender every single year.

Trading Deion Branch might have been the right move in terms of raw value and production and cost against the cap and return. But maybe losing Branch cost them a ring the next year. Losing Seymour was another cost/benefit/risk vs reward situation. But maybe he pushes them past the Jets this year if he was still around. What's that worth?

No one counts picks, they count rings. Picks are generally popular and valued by the masses, the public, by sports writers and by GMs and owners because they offer hope. You can buy yourself time if you are talking about reloading and getting talent. By the time you figure out a player is no good, his value for hope has served it's purpose. The picks are popular too because of their value against the salary cap, when players can potentially produce at a level that exceeds their actual market value.

Billy Beane said it best. Sometimes you can't keep falling back on the rebuilding/reloading/retooling strategy. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and gun for it. I'm happy Belichick acquires assets, but there is a fine line to looking to the future at the cost of the present.

You aren't just trading picks, you are trading time. Time that a player who could be useful to you now isn't on your roster. Time in the NFL is everything.

IMHO, a fourth rounder in a good draft that can help you now is worth more to a franchise than a 2nd rounder a year later in a weak draft.

It usually takes 2-3 years to judge a draft class, so let's look at the Pats draft classes for five years prior to the last two.

1.10 LB Jerod Mayo Tennessee from NO
2.31 DB Terrence Wheatley Colorado
3.15 LB Shawn Crable Michigan from NO
3.31 QB Kevin O'Connell San Diego State
4.30 DB Jonathan Wilhite Auburn

5.18 WR Matt Slater UCLA from TB
6.31 LB Bo Ruud Nebraska
1.24 DB Brandon Meriweather Miami from SEA
4.28 DL Kareem Brown Miami
5.34 OL Clint Oldenburg Colorado State compensatory pick
6.06 LB Justin Rogers Southern Methodist from ARI
6.28 DB Mike Richardson Notre Dame
6.34 RB Justise Hairston Central Connecticut compensatory pick
6.35 OL Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State compensatory pick
7.01 LB Oscar Lua Southern California from OAK
7.37 OL Mike Elgin Iowa compensatory pick
1.21 RB Laurence Maroney Minnesota
2.04 WR Chad Jackson Florida from GB; trade 2006 2.20, 3.11
3.22 TE David Thomas Texas
4.09 TE Garrett Mills Tulsa from DET

4.21 K Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
5.03 OL Ryan O'Callaghan California from OAK
6.22 DL Jeremy Mincey Florida
6.36 OL Dan Stevenson Notre Dame compensatory pick
6.37 DL Le Kevin Smith Nebraska compensatory pick
7.21 DB Willie Andrews Baylor
1.32 OL Logan Mankins Fresno State
3.20 DB Ellis Hobbs Iowa State from BAL; trade picks 2005 2.32 plus rec'd draft pick 2005 6.21, 2006 3rd Round (TBD)
3.37 OL Nick Kaczur Toledo compensatory pick
4.32 DB James Sanders Fresno State
5.34 LB Ryan Claridge Nevada-Las Vegas compensatory pick
7.16 QB Matt Cassel Southern California from Minnesota through N.Y. Jets and Oakland
7.41 TE Andy Stokes compensatory pick
1.21 DL Vince Wilfork Miami from BAL; trade draft pick BAL used to select QB Kyle Boller (2003)
1.32 TE Ben Watson Georgia
2.31 DL Marquise Hill Louisiana State
3.32 DB Guss Scott Florida
4.17 DB Dexter Reid North Carolina from NO; trade S Tebucky Jones (2003) plus rec'd draft pick 2003 3.14
4.32 RB Cedric Cobbs Arkansas

5.32 WR P.K. Sam Florida State
7.32 DB Christian Morton Illinois

Let's say for argument's sake that a majority of the Pats trades try to net them more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, their bread and butter area. Let's also say 5th, 6th and 7th round picks are considered more of a crapshoot. There are a lot of ugly 2-4s on this list. The 2006-2008 drafts really hurt the Patriots.

Honestly I think some folks look more at the sizzle and less at the steak.

Might just be me, but I don't consider Wilhite a bust.

He's still here and he's our best CB in the slot right now. Although Arrington will have something to say about that next year.

1) How well you draft ( Getting a Gronk is one thing, getting a Bethel Johnson or Kevin O'Connell is another)

Belichick traded the 89th in a draft that was considered to be very strong ( some 4th rounders would have been 2nd rounders in a different draft year) because of players leaving early to avoid the issue of the likely CBA problems in exchange for the 33 in a weaker draft. 33rd overall means a lot less if the players in the draft would be 4th rounders in a different year/class.

"Value" is relative. Elite defensive linemen, offensive tackles, QBs and corners are usually found in the 1st round of the NFL draft. You can occasionally hit on one later in the draft, but it's extremely rare. The case of a Tom Brady or a Kurt Warner is extremely rare. This is why so many teams reach for QBs in the first round, the relative odds dictate that they have to roll the dice to take a chance on a bust for the low chance of getting a ten year elite QB. Sure Belichick's strategy is sound for flexibility, but the impact is felt in core positions like O line, D line and, for a long time, his secondary.

The picks have no value if you choose poorly. They have relative value depending on the strength of the draft in question. Every year you push an asset you can use now is another asset you can't use to max out the potential of Tom Brady's prime. This is a QB driven league and Brady is the reason the Pats are a Superbowl contender every single year.

Trading Deion Branch might have been the right move in terms of raw value and production and cost against the cap and return. But maybe losing Branch cost them a ring the next year. Losing Seymour was another cost/benefit/risk vs reward situation. But maybe he pushes them past the Jets this year if he was still around. What's that worth?

No one counts picks, they count rings. Picks are generally popular and valued by the masses, the public, by sports writers and by GMs and owners because they offer hope. You can buy yourself time if you are talking about reloading and getting talent. By the time you figure out a player is no good, his value for hope has served it's purpose. The picks are popular too because of their value against the salary cap, when players can potentially produce at a level that exceeds their actual market value.

Billy Beane said it best. Sometimes you can't keep falling back on the rebuilding/reloading/retooling strategy. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and gun for it. I'm happy Belichick acquires assets, but there is a fine line to looking to the future at the cost of the present.

You aren't just trading picks, you are trading time. Time that a player who could be useful to you now isn't on your roster. Time in the NFL is everything.

IMHO, a fourth rounder in a good draft that can help you now is worth more to a franchise than a 2nd rounder a year later in a weak draft.

It usually takes 2-3 years to judge a draft class, so let's look at the Pats draft classes for five years prior to the last two.

6.31 LB Bo Ruud Nebraska

3.20 DB Ellis Hobbs Iowa State from BAL; trade picks 2005 2.32 plus rec'd draft pick 2005 6.21, 2006 3rd Round (TBD)
7.16 QB Matt Cassel Southern California from Minnesota through N.Y. Jets and Oakland
1.21 DL Vince Wilfork Miami from BAL; trade draft pick BAL used to select QB Kyle Boller (2003)
4.17 DB Dexter Reid North Carolina from NO; trade S Tebucky Jones (2003) plus rec'd draft pick 2003 3.14

Let's say for argument's sake that a majority of the Pats trades try to net them more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, their bread and butter area. Let's also say 5th, 6th and 7th round picks are considered more of a crapshoot. There are a lot of ugly 2-4s on this list. The 2006-2008 drafts really hurt the Patriots.

IMO the 33rd pick we'll use this year. I can see them taking someone at 17 and moving off of 28. But, I can see them drafting in the 33rd slot. Who knows who or what. We have been white hot with our drafts lately. Next April should yield at least 2 more contributors and 2 studs. In the words of Bart Scott......CANT WAIT,CANT WAIT.

In that case shouldn't you be giving credit for drafting Wilhite, rather than label it as a bad pick?

I think if you are going to use the '4th in a good draft vs 2nd in a bad draft' theory, then you also need to credit them for 2007 rather than label it as a poor draft. The Patriots recognized it as a weak draft class yet came away with Moss and Welker. As you said it's not about counting picks; therefore what the Patriots did with those picks from that draft should earn them an A rather than an F that so many seem so inclined to do.

Whenever I see lists such as this one that conclude the team is poor at drafting a few things come to mind.

- What is the correct 'good pick' to 'bad pick' ratio? Without knowing what the 31 other NFL teams did with their entire drafts the numbers are meaningless. Without a baseline to compare it to, how are we supposed to determine if those percentages are good, bad or average?

- Same goes for the labeling of a good pick or a bad pick. What is the criteria?

- As mentioned above, not taking trades into consideration. If a team trades a draft pick for a player, then why is that not figured into the equation? It's still the net effect of that draft pick, and it's still a judgement of the team's ability to evaluate players.

- Hypothetical: Team A trades up and ends up with only three draft picks; two turn out to be good, one does not. Team B trades down and end up with 12 draft picks; two turn out to be good and the rest do not.

Result is people laud Team A for drafting so well and pan Team B for drafting so poorly. Yet the net result was identical: they both ended up with two good players after starting with the same resources. Poor analysis by those judging those drafts.

- Along with consideration of how good a draft class was, how about consideration for drafting position, and how much room was available on a team? Being given a starting point in the mid twenties or later year after year and comparing that to teams that start around number ten or so more often than not makes for an unfair comparison.

- If the Patriots draft so poorly and are such awful evaluators of talent, then how do they keep winning 10+ games? Seems to me that if they were as bad as some make them out to be they would surely have fallen to 6-10 or worse at least one time.

The good draft class versus the bad draft class is another meaningless analysis. If we keep winning 10+ games who cares? So we sign an undrafted guy like Dane Fletcher who ends up being the next Tedy Bruschi and because Fletcher beats out one of the guys drafted in Rounds 1 - 7 the Pats get a worse grade on drafting? What sense does that make?

The good draft class versus the bad draft class is another meaningless analysis. If we keep winning 10+ games who cares? So we sign an undrafted guy like Dane Fletcher who ends up being the next Tedy Bruschi and because Fletcher beats out one of the guys drafted in Rounds 1 - 7 the Pats get a worse grade on drafting? What sense does that make?

The problem with your position is that it requires the team to actually sign that undrafted Tedy Bruschi. The Patriots haven't found him during BB's tenure.

The problem with your position is that it requires the team to actually sign that undrafted Tedy Bruschi. The Patriots haven't found him during BB's tenure.

Mike Wright,BJ Green-Ellis, Randall Gay, all say hello.

6.31 LB Bo Ruud Nebraska

Wilhite at 4.30 isn't a bad pick. He didn't play badly at the slot before getting hurt.

6.31 LB Bo Ruud Nebraska

No dispute, the 2006 to 2008 drafts really hurt the team.

But regarding strength of draft, are you really questioning the trade for #33? The 89th pick for 33rd pick is a big, big jump, from back of 3rd round to top of 2nd. Sure, strength of draft matters. But even in hindsight, looking back at the draft, can you spot 5 prospects you'd rather have that late in the 3rd over basically a 1st rounder in this year's draft?

Maybe you take Moeki, though we already drafted Gronk and got Hernandez in the 4th. But none of those prospects really seem anywhere near the type of prospect we'll get at #33 this year. I can't imagine anyone arguing it was the wrong move to make that deal.

You also seem to be implying that all the trading down is irrelevant if you pick the wrong guys. True, but it ignores the fact that it's the same story if you trade up or stay put. Bad picks are bad picks, and have nothing to do with how you got there. It also ignores the reality that no matter how safe a pick is, there are no guarantees in the NFL, whether it's a draft pick or trade or FA.

Mike Wright,BJ Green-Ellis, Randall Gay, all say hello.

They can say "Hello", "Yo!", "Over here!" or any other thing they want. Not one of them is a Tedy Bruschi or anything close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore