PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats bringing in OT/G Barry Sims for a visit Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats bringing in OT/G Barry Simms for a visit Wednesday

mg,

Because the BB/SP duo have the RG that they originally drafted to fill that spot, already on the roster.

If Neal tore up his ACL in February, that is a minimum year, or more like 16-18 month injury rehab. Thats a lot longer than PUP in 2008.

Neal is already 32 years old. If he is gone until 2009, he comes back as a 34 year old, and the Pats HAVE to be planning to start grooming a player to replace him, as a full timer,although he could be the swing for a couple of seasons.

Nick Kaczur was drafted to play RG, not tackle. that si what the scouts thought. He ended up playing RT because Neal came on; he can do it, and others couldn't. I see what the Pats are doing. They are moving Kaczur to RG his best position, and letting O'C play RT or be replaced by a older vet, patch for this season. I'll wager that they think he could excel at RG versus merely being mediocre, and getting by at RT.

Next draft, it will be time to draft an O-lineman in the second or third round to permanently solve the T problem, or if he's a LT candidate, to free Britt to go to RT, if O'C continues to fail. If Britt moves he wil have th entire offseason to beef up for RT, rather than staying too light, to back up Light. Next season they would have O'C more experienced, and available as a sub, if he hasn't taken the RT job outright.

Kaczur and Neal can duke it out for RG and also swing guard. Don't forget that Russ Hochstein is already 31 too, and he is the next guy after Neal to have some age on him.

One high draft pick and the O_line would be set throughout the rest of Brady era, with lots of continuity.

Do you agree with this analysis?

I'm on board. Although if I recall correctly, I remember the poster "unoriginal" - who is the resident OL breakdown expert - not being particularly confident in Kaczur's ability to play RG. I trust his word over mine given the amount of effort he puts into breaking down the OL's play, but that aside, I agree with the general idea of Kaczur was drafted as RG, therefore, he could switch to RG and O'Cal can move into starting RT.

Last edited:

Why are we saying that Kaycur was drafted to play RG? As I recall, Light was hurt, and Kaycur started at LT for his rookie year. He was moved to compete with O'Callaghan for open spot at RT.

I want a road-grader at RG.

In any case, if Neal really had an ACL injury, we can't count on him in 2008, even we put and on PUP and pay his entire 2008 salary.

So, yes can be in the mix to compete for the starting spot at RG.

mg,

Because the BB/SP duo have the RG that they originally drafted to fill that spot, already on the roster.

If Neal tore up his ACL in February, that is a minimum year, or more like 16-18 month injury rehab. Thats a lot longer than PUP in 2008.

Neal is already 32 years old. If he is gone until 2009, he comes back as a 34 year old, and the Pats HAVE to be planning to start grooming a player to replace him, as a full timer,although he could be the swing for a couple of seasons.

Nick Kaczur was drafted to play RG, not tackle. that si what the scouts thought. He ended up playing RT because Neal came on; he can do it, and others couldn't. I see what the Pats are doing. They are moving Kaczur to RG his best position, and letting O'C play RT or be replaced by a older vet, patch for this season. I'll wager that they think he could excel at RG versus merely being mediocre, and getting by at RT.

Next draft, it will be time to draft an O-lineman in the second or third round to permanently solve the T problem, or if he's a LT candidate, to free Britt to go to RT, if O'C continues to fail. If Britt moves he wil have th entire offseason to beef up for RT, rather than staying too light, to back up Light. Next season they would have O'C more experienced, and available as a sub, if he hasn't taken the RT job outright.

Kaczur and Neal can duke it out for RG and also swing guard. Don't forget that Russ Hochstein is already 31 too, and he is the next guy after Neal to have some age on him.

One high draft pick and the O_line would be set throughout the rest of Brady era, with lots of continuity.

Do you agree with this analysis?

Why are we saying that Kaycur was drafted to play RG? As I recall, Light was hurt, and Kaycur started at LT for his rookie year. He was moved to compete with O'Callaghan for open spot at RT.

In any case, if Neal really had an ACL injury, we can't count on him in 2008, even we put and on PUP and pay his entire 2008 salary.

A lot of draft analysis had him pegged as an OG when he was drafted...take it for what it's worth of course, as the Pats value athleticism and not size as much when it comes to OL:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Kaczur,Nick-OG+OT-Toledo.htm

Analysis: Positives... Has a thick upper and lower body with a firm and thick chest, shoulders and arms, wide hips and thick thighs and calves. ... Shows good initial quickness off the line and adequate pop and explosion. ... Gets good position and sustains his blocks once he gets his hands on an opponent. ... His strong leg drive allows him to be a very effective drive blocker, showing good hip snap to turn and get movement. ... Can track down defenders to hit in the second level and does a nice job of getting out front on pulls and sweeps. ... Stays under control heading up field and is quick to locate and neutralize the linebackers. ... Gets very good hand extension in his pass set, keeping his hands active to jolt and strike with force. ... Shows ease of movement in his lateral agility and can quickly change direction and redirect. ... Plays in a zone blocking offense that looks to work defenders on angles. ... Has some pop and adequate ability to sustain and good strength at the point of attack.

Negatives... Has a frame that could use additional bulk and upper body strength. ... Gets good hand placement and has the strength to jolt, but needs to do it with more consistency. ... Does not always generate explosion coming off the line, but once he gets his hands on the pass rusher, he is quick to lock on, steer and sustain. ... Might be a little too light to play tackle at the next level, his hand usage and pass protection skills will make him a solid guard. ... His lack of bulk causes some problems in his anchor when taking on the bull rush. ... Can get too high in his stance, especially in short-yardage situations, which results in defenders getting into his chest to steer him out. ... Needs help in containing the two-gap pass rushers, making him a candidate for guard. ... Works well past the line of scrimmage, but despite his lateral agility, is slow to cut off backside penetration. ... His quickness to slide the circle vs. a wide edge rush is poor and he has some problems with his balance when doing this.

Though this is just one pre-draft article, this was the consensus on Kaczur coming out I think, so the notion that Kaczur's skills may translate to OG aren't coming out of nowhere.

mg,

You say that you want a road grader at RG. But it does not seem that Bill Belichick does too. The Pats have never sought out the really big guys for their Oline. And O'C was forced to diet down to under 330 as soon as he was drafted.

The zone blocking that the Pats employ and the screens, power sweeps, and WR screens, all need an agile, mobile, Guard able to pull, much more than a Hulk.

Indeed the best thing that Neal does is pull; and play across the line of scrimmage. In fact, I think that he is the best in the league at it, among the interior linemen. Neal is very quick, and can wrestle with anyone on a pass rush; but occasionally he can be quick bull-rushed by the biggest, strongest and quickest DTs. Not often. The Pats never had much problem with the big guys on the Ravens, Jags, or Panthers, if you recall.

That bull rush "weakness", is the only thing preventing him from being a pro bowl lineman, every year, IMHO.

Update: ESPN Hashmarks speculates Sims may favor the Pats given the criteria outlined in this article from a SF paper.

There are a number of factors Sims will weigh before he makes a decision. Vierra said Sims will not necessarily sign with the highest bidder. Among the factors that Sims will considere, as outlined by Vierra, are: 1) Chance to earn a starting job; 2) chance to make the postseason; 3) overall organization; 4) offensive line coach; 5) offensive coordinator; and, of course, 6) money.

If Kaczur is moved or suspended, Sims would have his shot to start (Item #1). The Pats would also rate very high in chance to make postseason (#2), organization (#3) and coaches (#4 and #5).

Really, the only question is how competitive the Pats are willing to get with money. If the criteria are what his agent outlined, the Pats make the most sense by a longshot.

To sum up all the o-line acquisitions and visits of late, I believe the team is just creating their normal depth going into training camp. The possibilities of Neal's injury being more serious than announced and that Kaczur will suspended are very real, but I do not think the team is varying too much from what it always does during the off-season.

After watching/going to a number of Oakland Raiders games, I know Sims has a reputation for being a penalty machine. Signing a Raiders offensive lineman is like signiing a player that was waived by the Falcons (ie Jimmy Williams) because as a team, they haven't produced much to think that any individual can add to a good team.

Sims might need some solid coaching from Dante and come off the bench. In Oakland, there wasn't much depth and so I feel it came down to a veteran guy like Sims at all times to try to protect the QB. At the same time, Cable has a different o-line scheme and Sims didn't fit it.

he aint signing here per riess

We need as much as help as possible on the o-line because people are gonna bring the heat on us as far as the pass rush goes so we need depth so i think barry sims could do that for us.

Not happening per Reiss...most likely west coast for him definitely NOT here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back