PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats bringing in OT/G Barry Sims for a visit Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats bringing in OT Barry Simms for a visit Wednesday

they just don't have as much confidence that Neal will be healthy by the start of the season

Neal will play in the second half of the season.

Re: Pats bringing in OT/G Barry Simms for a visit Wednesday

NOT relatively young..34 this year...so it's a vet pickup IF they decide to go that way. I had heard last year..off season about Kaczur's party non-work habits..and many had said they thought he would be gone..NOW, it's really come to light and he may be the odd man out. I agree..the one area that needed some work was the OL.

He's 34? Wow. In that article I saw "drafted in 1999" which in my head I thought "oh, that's not that long ago he must be in his late 20s."

Time has lost all meaning; getting old sucks. :(

(Except for the part about your income increasing. ;))

On a side note, he should fit in fine with Matt Light ...

Sims, who tied for the league lead in false starts last year, will likely sign with a team next week.

He's 34? Wow. In that article I saw "drafted in 1999" which in my head I thought "oh, that's not that long ago he must be in his late 20s."

Time has lost all meaning; getting old sucks. :(

(Except for the part about your income increasing. ;))
I agree..but yes..he'll be 34 this year..not sure that's an issue really..if he can backup a few positions that is even better..NO bidding war..if he's cheap..it'll be OK.

Run-on sentence much? ;)

LOL sorry I was writing that with my son on my lap, so i was just trying to write my thoughts quick as i could.

Sims did tie Cowboys' Columbo for the league lead in false starts as well:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8200580/7-Points:-Titans-shopping-for-another-running-back

That could have something to do that he was playing out of position and was never comfortable at guard.
Still the Raiders brain trust;), either decided to keep a square peg in a round hole or was too blind to see that he wasn't catching on to the position.
Hearing that he has little flexibility he'd have to at least be Kazur's equal for me to think about giving him anything more than close to the league minimum.

I see this as insurance for Stephen Neal in case he's not ready for this upcoming season or gets put on the PUP list

false starts as well:

Did we have a lot of false starts last SB game.? Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

more of a depth signing imo, he could give nick a run though, but didn't he give up a lot of sacks in oakland though?

Yes...good insurance..Neal maybe PUP this year..so if that happens..they need a tough inside guard on the right..Hochstein, Yates are good backups..but NOT a starter for half a season..at LEAST give them competition...THAT is what is needed.

Why would we expect a LT to succeed at RG? To me, Simms is a major upgrade from Britt.

To me, Sims is a major upgrade from Oliver Ross.

Shane Olivea would be an upgrade from both of them.

And Neal's injury history, as well as Nicky the Snitch's uncertain status, seems to be giving the FO some cause for concern.

I have a silly idea.

If we are worried about Neal's health, then let's sign someone who actually plays RG. Why would we want to sign someone who would need to convert to that position, or why would we try to convert Kaycur? Ditto for RT.

I have a silly idea.

If we are worried about Neal's health, then let's sign someone who actually plays RG. Why would we want to sign someone who would need to convert to that position, or why would we try to convert Kaycur? Ditto for RT.

A Kazcur conversion to RG doesn't seem unreasonable. He was pegged by many at OG when he was drafted. It's quite possible that Kazcur moving to RG is more preferable than whatever else is out there at OG at the moment. In fact, I'd say its likely far more preferable.

Last edited:
Re: Pats bringing in OT Barry Simms for a visit Wednesday

your trolling all over the forum and launching cheap shots at me, people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones,

Now now, children.:rolleyes:

A Kazcur conversion to RG doesn't seem unreasonable. He was pegged by many at OG when he was drafted. It's quite possible that Kazcur moving to RG is more preferable than whatever else is out there at OG at the moment. In fact, I'd say its likely far more preferable.

Same here. Nickie da Snitch to RG isn't that far-fetched.

If the FO is looking for a career RG, then Chris Naeole is still available. And as I've stated before, Shane Olivea may be better-suited at RG than at RT, anyway.

news from the visit?

I have a silly idea.

If we are worried about Neal's health, then let's sign someone who actually plays RG. Why would we want to sign someone who would need to convert to that position, or why would we try to convert Kazcur? Ditto for RT.

mg,

Because the BB/SP duo have the RG that they originally drafted to fill that spot, already on the roster.

If Neal tore up his ACL in February, that is a minimum year, or more like 16-18 month injury rehab. Thats a lot longer than PUP in 2008.

Neal is already 32 years old. If he is gone until 2009, he comes back as a 34 year old, and the Pats HAVE to be planning to start grooming a player to replace him, as a full timer,although he could be the swing for a couple of seasons.

Nick Kaczur was drafted to play RG, not tackle. that si what the scouts thought. He ended up playing RT because Neal came on; he can do it, and others couldn't. I see what the Pats are doing. They are moving Kaczur to RG his best position, and letting O'C play RT or be replaced by a older vet, patch for this season. I'll wager that they think he could excel at RG versus merely being mediocre, and getting by at RT.

Next draft, it will be time to draft an O-lineman in the second or third round to permanently solve the T problem, or if he's a LT candidate, to free Britt to go to RT, if O'C continues to fail. If Britt moves he wil have th entire offseason to beef up for RT, rather than staying too light, to back up Light. Next season they would have O'C more experienced, and available as a sub, if he hasn't taken the RT job outright.

Kaczur and Neal can duke it out for RG and also swing guard. Don't forget that Russ Hochstein is already 31 too, and he is the next guy after Neal to have some age on him.

One high draft pick and the O_line would be set throughout the rest of Brady era, with lots of continuity.

Do you agree with this analysis?

I do; and last week was the start of seeing if Kaczur can handle the phonebooth on one play yet kick it outside on the next, and if O'C has learned enough to keep the outside speed at bay long enough for routes to develop. The coaches may need to have an idea already, because guys like Olivea, Naeole, Sims, Flynn & Flanagan may not be available by the start of regular TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes