PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft pick

Why? I thought OLB was the last hole in our lineup?

If he is the last piece to the puzzle and we fixed the last issue, that ought to be worth quite a bit.

Well put! In the general "rules of thumb" in the NFL an arguement could be made that the price for Burgess was too high. For the Pats though who were one player away from having that one glaring hole, the deal makes sense. Burgess could easily be that 3 down linebacker opposite Thomas that could upset the Colt's no huddle. No, he's not going to be an every game 3 down guy, but if someone has to get stuck on the field facing a no huddle, I'm comfortable with him.

YESSSS!

I've been calling it for about 2 months now, I'm glad they addressed this...

:D

DAM ... Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan ?

Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan !
... he has quite the collection of exRaiders growing out there ...
What some guys won't do for an autograph huh?

Hey gang ... I'm new to the board ... what better way to introduce myself ?

ps. Yes I AM a Raider fan too Bill.:kiss2:

Not to be mean, you guys OVERVALUE draft picks. We are going to get a guy who had double digits in sacks, and you guys are furious it could be a 3rd.

We have 3 2's. I would rather have a proven pass rusher then a 3rd round pick....

Sacks in the past 4 years:

You might notice a trend there, if you look. Some of us are a bit wary of overspending for a disgruntled player, given that falling statline.

Re: Pats acquire Burgess

It's an opinion, nothing more. Feel free to look at my follow up, where I pointed to a post from another thread.

And start drinking decaf.

It does not require coffee, strong or otherwise, to consider it insane to suggest a 2010 3rd round pick, instead of a 2011 3rd round pick, is a deal-breaker on the Burgess trade.

UPDATE: Michael Lombardi reports that the Patriots gave up their third and fifth round picks in 2011 in the deal. Seems fair for both sides. Adam Schefter points out the Eagles were offering a third-round pick and a player

Latest News and Rumors | ProFootballTalk.com

Re: DAM ... Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan ?

Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan !
... he has quite the collection of exRaiders growing out there ...
What some guys won't do for an autograph huh?

Hey gang ... I'm new to the board ... what better way to introduce myself ?

ps. Yes I AM a Raider fan too Bill.:kiss2:

Welcome man.

Just been to your forum - spotted the replica post :D

I figured it was a 4th and a new jump suit.

hahaha...I can see you've had your morning coffee! :rofl:

You might notice a trend there, if you look. Some of us are a bit wary of overspending for a disgruntled player, given that falling statline.

Hmmm, he is just 30. Notice every year STAYING in Oakland his stats got worse.:D Remember, if your a play that knows his team has no chance to make the playoffs to a superbowl favorite, he may try a little harder.

Re: Pats acquire Burgess

It does not require coffee, strong or otherwise, to consider it insane to suggest a 2010 3rd round pick, instead of a 2011 3rd round pick, is a deal-breaker on the Burgess trade.

You should, perhaps, have actually read the posts then. Feel free to note my post at

Today 06:48 PM

weren't people saying the same crap about moss ofter a couple of years in oakland??? maybe its a recurring theme

one thing to understand is that the raiders were near the bottom of the NFL in rushing defense the last 2 years(only the lions were worse), so teams weren't passing the ball as much

he's gotta be a major upgrade over woods.......

Last edited:

Hmmm, he is just 30. Notice every year STAYING in Oakland his stats got worse.:D Remember, if your a play that knows his team has no chance to make the playoffs to a superbowl favorite, he may try a little harder.

I certainly hope so. As is to be expected, and like all aspects of player procurement, trades are a mixed bag. With Moss v. Gabriel, we have an easy example of both sides of the coin when dealing with the Raiders.

Well, last year was clearly due to injuries although it doesn't mean he will rebound. The problem is that the Raiders' defense was progressively taken out of Rob Ryan's hands (rumor is that Al Davis decided what the gameplans were) and it hurt the defensive production of the entire defense.

one thing to understand is that the raiders were near the bottom of the NFL in rushing defense the last 2 years(only the lions were worse), so teams weren't passing the ball as much

he's gotta be a major upgrade over woods.......

I'm sure that's the hope. I'm sure BB did his homework. I'm sure I want it to work out brilliantly. Now, time will tell us the tale.

Re: DAM ... Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan ?

Welcome man.

Just been to your forum - spotted the replica post :D

Truth be told ... Once upon a time I was a Pats fan.
I remember the day clearly. Krafts had a "fan vote" to keep the MinuteMan logo or go with the new "Flying Elvis".
The fans boo'd the flying elvis so loud and long, it delayed the 2nd half kick off of the Jets game. He changed the logo anyway.

I took down my Steve Grogan & John Hannah poster ...
and official became a Raiders Fan.

Not been easy being a Raider Fan living in CT the last 6 years.

But then again, its always been a RAIDER NATION.

I believe we only gave up a 3rd round pick for Burgess.
Hopefully he can pick up the defensive system fast.
It would be nice to have an impact OLB opposite Thomas.

Plus Bill has to figure the Pats will receive compensation picks along the way...so the 5th is easily replaced...

2005: 4-12
2006: 2-14
2007: 4-12
2008: 5-11

What would be the point of trying in Oakland?

So im sick and was sleeping. I got woken up from a phone call from my sister and she was checking up on me. As i am talking to her I am checking Patriots.com then all of a sudden i see derrick Burgess traded to New England :D!! What a day!! it sucks that im sick, but i got my new Jerod Mayo jersey and we finally have a pass rusher!! SB here we come :D

2005: 4-12
2006: 2-14
2007: 4-12
2008: 5-11

What would be the point of trying in Oakland?

pride
ten characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes