PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft pick

BTW, what number is he going to wear? He certainly not going to wear 56 like he did in Oakland.

BTW, what number is he going to wear? He certainly not going to wear 56 like he did in Oakland.

What the hell..No McGinest and no Seau means give him #55 - Its worked well for us before at LB I think

Does this do anything to change the Kevin Carter scenario?

cbssportsline and kffl saying its a 2010 3rd and 2011 5th.

Re: Pats acquire Burgess

I think we may have just filled "Z" the nickel/dime OLB that lines up as a DE.
I dont envision Burgess playing every down, or even seeing much time in the base D.
I see him coming in as a pass rusher when we play nickel and dime, which is most of 3rd downs, about half of 2nds and 1st down agaisnt selected teams.
Thats close to half the snaps, and more than our 2nd ILB will play.

Exactly. Whether they line him up at his regular DE spot in a 4-3 and push the three D-linemen over, or bring him in as an OLB in the 3-4, he'll be bringing the heat on the QB which the team was lacking. A great deal.

I could care less about the draft picks. Belichick trades draft picks like little kids trade those Japanese game cards. This team is stocked with only a few holes, the biggest of which Belichick just filled. It's like a rich guy with a nice Lamborghini, that had one dented hubcap: whether or not he overpaid to get a new hubcap is almost immaterial, because a.) he's rich and b.) the car is now much more complete. By the time next year's draft rolls around, Belichick will have traded a 2nd for someone else's 2nd and 3rd in 2011 or something like that. No worries.

Does this do anything to change the Kevin Carter scenario?

I doubt it. 2 different types of players at different positions. May have an economic effect.
I think Carter was just a look for future reference, that could have resulted in an invitation to camp if he would sign for the minimum, anyway.

What the hell..No McGinest and no Seau means give him #55 - Its worked well for us before at LB I think

I think if the Pats are legitimate Super Bowl contenders, Seau will be back in late November early December.

I think we may have just filled "Z" the nickel/dime OLB that lines up as a DE.
I dont envision Burgess playing every down, or even seeing much time in the base D.
I see him coming in as a pass rusher when we play nickel and dime, which is most of 3rd downs, about half of 2nds and 1st down agaisnt selected teams
Thats close to half the snaps, and more than our 2nd ILB will play.

Agree 100%. It is def. OLBBC for the NEP. If Woods/Burgess combo stays healthy, that is good enough to win with.

Plus, Burgess big knock is he has been injury-prone, so hopefully just having him in on passing downs keeps him healthy.

Either way, Burgess signing is awesome depth/rotation, but even w/o him signing, the key is AD & Mayo staying healthy. If they do, the LBs will be fine regardless of the other two spots.

He looks just like Colvin did a few years back - that's a good thing.

Looks quite a bit more physical then Colvin to me. I'm not saying he's Willie, but he can definitely go through you as well as around you.

He's really pretty vicious. Me like.

Last edited:

Looks quite a bit more physical then Colvin to me. I'm not saying he's willie, but he can definitely go through you as well as around you.

He's really pretty vicious. Me like.
He did look more physical, I was mainly looking at the moves and speed outside and the closing speed to the QB but Colvin did play a bit softer for sure.

3rd in 2010 and 5th in 2011? Very bad deal, and a sign of desperation.

3rd and 5th in 2010? Terrible deal, and the other OLBs must have been sucking up the joint.

Are you insane? A 3rd in 2010 makes THIS big a difference to you? Jesus. We've got FOUR Day One picks in 2010. This trade is a no-brainer. Come on, man, wake up.

Not to be mean, you guys OVERVALUE draft picks. We are going to get a guy who had double digits in sacks, and you guys are furious it could be a 3rd.

We have 3 2's. I would rather have a proven pass rusher then a 3rd round pick....

Are you insane? A 3rd in 2010 makes THIS big a difference to you? Jesus. We've got FOUR Day One picks in 2010. This trade is a no-brainer. Come on, man, wake up.

It's an opinion, nothing more. Feel free to look at my follow up, where I pointed to a post from another thread.

And start drinking decaf.

Agree 100%. It is def. OLBBC for the NEP. If Woods/Burgess combo stays healthy, that is good enough to win with.

Plus, Burgess big knock is he has been injury-prone, so hopefully just having him in on passing downs keeps him healthy.

Either way, Burgess signing is awesome depth/rotation, but even w/o him signing, the key is AD & Mayo staying healthy. If they do, the LBs will be fine regardless of the other two spots.

I'm hoping he has the same results as McGinest when he switched from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB. McGinest was labelled injury prone and done before Belichick and Crennel switched him to OLB and he had a resurgence in his career and remained relatively injury free. A lot of time when DEs get older, they can benefit from playing from a standing position rather than putting his hand in the dirt.

He did look more physical, I was mainly looking at the moves and speed outside and the closing speed to the QB but Colvin did play a bit softer for sure.

Not knocking Colvin, but this guy really plays vicious. I wasn't aware of him, don't catch too many Raiders games lately.:D I can see this guy making the huge play in the clutch like Willie did. Looks like he gets to the QB when he makes up his mind.

Awesome.

Noticed the trade was for draft considerations (pleural), so I am hoping its a 4th and a 6th, will be happy with a 4th and 5th, but upset if its a 3rd and something else.

not me. what are the chances of getting something AS impact with a 3rd...even a 3rd and 4th. BB the genious!! It' makes up for not getting Taylor or Peppers. We need the pass rush. Now we just need no one to hurt!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes