PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats acquire Burgess

I think we may have just filled "Z" the nickel/dime OLB that lines up as a DE.
I dont envision Burgess playing every down, or even seeing much time in the base D.
I see him coming in as a pass rusher when we play nickel and dime, which is most of 3rd downs, about half of 2nds and 1st down agaisnt selected teams.
Thats close to half the snaps, and more than our 2nd ILB will play.

I agree (I phrased it badly). Burgess with his pass rush skills and DE experience should complement Woods perfectly.

re: Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft pick

Whooo! Hooo! We finally have someone we know can pash rush opposite AD. I think OLB was #1 on my biggest concerns and although Burgess wouldn't be my first choice, he is definitely someone who can fix the problem.

Awesome, awesome news.

I guess Colvin can now go back to playing with his kids and not wait for the inevitable phone call

Then people like 'BRO' would have to find something else to whine about.
Well, be just released Al Johnson to make room. WHat if Koppen and Hockstein go down. No one to center teh ball - WE'RE DOOMED!

A 3 and a 5 seems a bit much, but Oakland wasn't gonna give another guy away to us.

I agree (I phrased it badly). Burgess with his pass rush skills and DE experience should complement Woods perfectly.

AJ and PC nice analysis but I have a feeling he'll play some more but the Z is where he'll be on pass rushing downs.

A 3 and a 5 seems a bit much, but Oakland wasn't gonna give another guy away to us.

It is 2011 picks, not 2010. That is about the equivalent of a 2010 4th and 6th. Besides, there might not even be a 2011 draft.

I suspect you and BB do indeed have slightly different value functions lol. He probably weights winning this year more highly than you do :D

As a follow up to my early response, it's not as if I'm putting myself above BB's knowledge here:

...Now, to be fair, I say that blindly, in that I'm not seeing what the Woods/TBC/etc... crew is looking like every day, the way BB is. If BB gives up a 3rd, I'll consider it too much, but I'll understand that he's had a different perspective on the situation.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/255226-burgess-can-had-3rd-4th.html#post1445760

And, if it IS both picks in 2011, BB would seem to have been in complete agreement with me anyway.

Last edited:

hopefully this guy can play decently and can stay healthy, otherwise were not out of the Woods yet... ;)

Just had a quick sca over ona Raiders forum - hilariously they think we might have given up Vollmer...one guy went as far as to suggest Vollmer and a 2nd!!

Good stuff.

It is 2011 picks, not 2010. That is about the equivalent of a 2010 4th and 6th. Besides, there might not even be a 2011 draft.
If they're both 2011 picks, I'm fine with it. But from what I've seen so far, the 3rd is in 2010?

If they're both 2011 picks, I'm fine with it. But from what I've seen so far, the 3rd is in 2010?

Michael Lombardi said both are 2011. If the Pats get a pass rush and win the Super Bowl, who cares if it is a 2010 pick or 2011.

Just had a quick sca over ona Raiders forum - hilariously they think we might have given up Vollmer...one guy went as far as to suggest Vollmer and a 2nd!!

Good stuff.

i suspect that was some 12-year-old

damn....

if the pats do for him what they did for moss

he could be dpoy

all he has to do is stay healthy

That's what I read, 2011, they gave up a fifth for Alex Smith so if it's a 3rd and 5th it's definitely 2011. The Pats control next year's draft anyway with a first and three 2's.

Well, I just logged on and saw this! WOOHOO!!!!!

But yeah, assuming he doesn't do a Brady and go out on IR early, this is great news! :yeeha:

That's what I read, 2011, they gave up a fifth for Alex Smith so if it's a 3rd and 5th it's definitely 2011. The Pats control next year's draft anyway with a first and three 2's.

I forgot they had 3 second rounders next year again. Assuming there is a cap next year, they might have had to move the 3rd rounder anyway.

The big question to be answered....

Will Burgess be a Raiders defection to NE more like a Randy Moss? or more like a Doug Gabriel?

Inquiring minds need to know...soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back