PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trying to convince Wilfork to restructure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Curran's best work - and no, he's not nearly the worst around here (Borges?).

Wilfork's made $31 million over the last few years and made a ton last year without being on the field. He deserved every penny of it, even last year, because that's the assumed risk.

Every player knows that he's going to be asked to restructure at the end of a contract, or that he's going to be cut. Ask Champ Bailey. If this were the third or fourth year on a 5-year deal, it's a different story (Ware), but in the NFL this is how it's played, all the time.

Turn part of the base into bonus and amortize it for two more years - save $4 million against the cap. Base salary with generous playing bonuses for those two years. The only way that doesn't work is if Wilfork thinks he can go out and get another huge deal, or if he simply doesn't want to play anymore (Seymore) unless he gets another huge deal. If he thinks that, they part ways.

If Wilfork and his team go down the same road they went down back in 2010 I would say Wilfork is nothing but a distant memory. I hope he does not take that approach.

I think he's going to end up being released, unfortunately. I said at the start of the offseason that Wilfork (A) more than likely won't be able to come back to what he once was, and (B) didn't seem like the type that would restructure his deal. Hope I'm wrong, but I think this ends up in the big guy being released.

No offense to the OP, but the title of this thread should read :

"Speculation: Patriots to ask Wilfork for a restructure"

Because that is all this is. Speculation by Curran. OH, and Curran seems to have forgotten that the Pats took a big hit with Ty Law in his final year with the team..

No offense to the OP, but the title of this thread should read :

"Speculation: Patriots to ask Wilfork for a restructure"

Because that is all this is. Speculation by Curran. OH, and Curran seems to have forgotten that the Pats took a big hit with Ty Law in his final year with the team..

thank god for these people who take the time to correct other's minutae

I just don't see this getting done if the team insists on doing it now.

FROM THE TEAM'S SIDE
The team wants the cap help now. They don't want to wait to see how Wilfork looks in July.
So, they will likely come to Wilfork with a "fair" offer with lowball salaries and lowball AAV after paying him his $8M in salary and bonuses (signing and workout). Of course, the team may think that it can do no more. They cannot commit to real money without knowing that Wilfork will be healthy.

FROM WILFORK'S SIDE
Wilfork wants the $8M of the contract as part of a deal (call it $1M salary and $7M bonus). He also doesn't want to be locked into lowball salaries because he was injured last year. He thinks/hopes that he will be able to come back strong. He likely wants to wait until summer to renegotiate a long-term contract.

HOW MUCH IS THE TEAM WILLING TO PAY TO WAIT?
The team could offer a deal that saves current cap money with the idea of negotiating later.
For example, the team could offer Wilfork $2M this year and $12M next year. The issue would be the value of game bonuses and the amount of the guarantees (which Wilfork would want to total at least $8M).

This idea has the team paying $8M for an option on Wilfork's services which would cost tham $2M additional plus bonuses, with the idea of signing a long term deal when he is healthy.

The cap savings could be as much as $6M since the bonuses would be probably be NLTBE given his injuries. The contracted $8M of 2014 cap hit could be reduced to $2M. Of course, the old bonus money of $3.6M will hit in any case.

BOTTOM LINE
What are the chances of Wilfork coming back strong? Is he worth taking a chance? If the team isn't willing, they can simply move on. All the options (and incentives) would then be in Wilfork's court. He would need to get healthy and into game shape in order to market his services. Or he could simply decide (at any point) to stop and retire.

MY GUESS
The team will simply move on. I have no predictions with regard to whether Wilfork is willing or able to come back into game shape. And IF he is able to play again, no one knows at what level.

I just don't see this getting done if the team insists on doing it now.

FROM THE TEAM'S SIDE
The team wants the cap help now. They don't want to wait to see how Wilfork looks in July.
So, they will likely come to Wilfork with a "fair" offer with lowball salaries and lowball AAV after paying him his $8M in salary and bonuses (signing and workout). Of course, the team may think that it can do no more. They cannot commit to real money without knowing that Wilfork will be healthy.

FROM WILFORK'S SIDE
Wilfork wants the $8M of the contract as part of a deal (call it $1M salary and $7M bonus). He also doesn't want to be locked into lowball salaries because he was injured last year. He thinks/hopes that he will be able to come back strong. He likely wants to wait until summer to renegotiate a long-term contract.

HOW MUCH IS THE TEAM WILLING TO PAY TO WAIT?
The team could offer a deal that saves current cap money with the idea of negotiating later.
For example, the team could offer Wilfork $2M this year and $12M next year. The issue would be the value of game bonuses and the amount of the guarantees (which Wilfork would want to total at least $8M).

This idea has the team paying $8M for an option on Wilfork's services which would cost tham $2M additional plus bonuses, with the idea of signing a long term deal when he is healthy.

The cap savings could be as much as $6M since the bonuses would be probably be NLTBE given his injuries. The contracted $8M of 2014 cap hit could be reduced to $2M. Of course, the old bonus money of $3.6M will hit in any case.

BOTTOM LINE
What are the chances of Wilfork coming back strong? Is he worth taking a chance? If the team isn't willing, they can simply move on. All the options (and incentives) would then be in Wilfork's court. He would need to get healthy and into game shape in order to market his services. Or he could simply decide (at any point) to stop and retire.

MY GUESS
The team will simply move on. I have no predictions with regard to whether Wilfork is willing or able to come back into game shape. And IF he is able to play again, no one knows at what level.

Pretty much what I've been saying for 2 months.

We don't have the luxury to wait, here comes the off season and the top players and mid/good level will get deals done quickly. I think is a no brainer reuse Wilfork's money on other needs. It's business.

Curran says Miguel is a layman cap expert? That's kinda contradictory isn't it? He's an expert period. Unless he means Miguel gives a lot of lay. :)

Curran says Miguel is a layman cap expert? That's kinda contradictory isn't it? He's an expert period. Unless he means Miguel gives a lot of lay. :)

I don't think it is - he just means that Miguel is not affiliated with the industry.

I say restructure the deal so its essentially a 4 yr. 18M deal with like 12M guaranteed. I would think if he doesn't accept something like that we cannot have him. NFL moved to league where big $$ must be spent on coverage players.

I don't think it is - he just means he's a non-front office/reporter expert.

Just being nitpicky. Haha. I understand he means amateur. But layman to me is associated with non-expert in the general sense. Miguel is clearly an expert.

The issue is NOT the worth of a probowl NT in the NFL. The issue is Wilfork's health. Wilfork would be well worth $8M a year if he were playing at his 2012 level. IMHO, if healthy, Wilfork would have no trouble earning significantly more than the offer you suggest.

I say restructure the deal so its essentially a 4 yr. 18M deal with like 12M guaranteed. I would think if he doesn't accept something like that we cannot have him. NFL moved to league where big $$ must be spent on coverage players.

The issue is NOT the worth of a probowl NT in the NFL. The issue is Wilfork's health. Wilfork would be well worth $8M a year if he were playing at his 2012 level.

I disagree. not smart to pay NT 8M in my opinion.

IMHO, if healthy, Wilfork would have no trouble earning significantly more than the offer you suggest.

maybe youre right but I personally wouldn't pay him that, let another team do it....but more importantly, hes not healthy.

Big Vince has a lot of pride. I fear that he would rather play for 3 million per year for another team than accommodate the Patriots in any way whatsoever.

Big Vince has a lot of pride. I fear that he would rather play for 3 million per year for another team than accommodate the Patriots in any way whatsoever.
I think you may be right.

Likely so.
But maybe Vince is even bigger and could deal with that.
As mentioned previously, it's Bianca who may be calling the shots.

If Vince/Bianca gets wicked pissed, we may see this play out sooner rather than later with him cut if the Pats realize that NFW will a pay cut or an extension happen. Point being, the existing contract will not happen given the uncertainty of full, timely recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes