PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trying to convince Wilfork to restructure

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be $32M guaranteed. I'm not sure than any 32 year old defensive player is worth that, certainly not a non-corner who is coming back from a major injury.

Perhaps you mean to guarantee all of Wilfork's $8M salary and bonuses or $8M over two years.

What you stated is not even close to what any team in the league would pay.

Vince may be willing to extend his contract 3 more years at 8 million per year, all guaranteed. Then, his base salary for 2014 can be guaranteed and spread out over 4 years.

That would be $32M guaranteed. I'm not sure than any 32 year old defensive player is worth that, certainly not a non-corner who is coming back from a major injury.

Perhaps you mean to guarantee all of Wilfork's $8M salary and bonuses or $8M over two years.

What you stated is not even close to what any team in the league would pay.[/QUOTE)
My original point was that the Wilforks are prideful people. They will
want to wring every last cent out of Bob Kraft. I don't think they will
settle on reasonable terms. I think they will demand an unreasonable deal like this one.

If they "demand" this publicly, they will be the laughing stock of the league.

However, I do agree that Wilfork is not likely to accept any reductions.

The team can decide at any point whether to cut him. If he passes his physical, they could decide to let him play this year for $8M. The team may have only two options.

My original point was that the Wilforks are prideful people. They will
want to wring every last cent out of Bob Kraft. I don't think they will
settle on reasonable terms. I think they will demand an unreasonable deal like this one.

Okay, I haven't looked for the link to Miguel's page for a while and can't find it. Please tell me this is still alive somewhere!

Thing 2, and it's been years since I did this and not sure if it's still something he does - there used to be a good cause Miguel asked you to contribute to if you valued what he provides on his page. So if it's still here, random plug.

Sorry to derail. I just feel Miguel's info has been a constant background boon to make it possible to entertain off-season thoughts based on something other than wishes... compared to other fan-bases I've found some regulars here to know at least enough to speculate somewhere in the realm of reality. It's been a blessing to have that around.

(Um... it's still around, right? The link I mean?)

Wilfork has less than 24 hours to drastically restructure; if he doesn't, then he has to go, immediately.

Or we'll only have only $15M-$20M to work with this week when we have little or no interest in signing anyone that would need this kind of money?

We COULD pressure Wilfork and cut him this week. But there is no IMMEDIATE need.

Wilfork has less than 24 hours to drastically restructure; if he doesn't, then he has to go, immediately.

Why the rush? It's not like we can't sign even a big name FA contract with someone else using just the cap $ available today. If Wilfy isn't budging, Pats GM can always tell him that he's putting himself at risk to be cut LATER in FA the minute the Pats need the cap space. Later in FA some foolish clubs will already have spent their money and the market for a new FA will be worse. Why kick him out into the hot market where someone might scoop him when delaying works for the Pats and against Wilfork?
Are you reading this Bianca?
(Thankfully she doesn't know where I live.)

That would be the dumbest move ever by guaranteeing 24 million dollars to a 32 year old defensive tackle coming off a major injury who didn't even seem like himself prior to the injury.

That's the key, IMO. He wasn't playing very well before he got hurt. No push on pass rush. I think it was only a matter of time before Tommy Kelly took his place on passing downs. Now if that was because his achilles had already been injured (maybe tendinitis or something like that), then I'd be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. If the reason for his sub-par play had nothing to do with an achilles issue, then I'd be a lot less optimistic about his future. Only the team and the player know for sure.

Or we'll only have only $15M-$20M to work with this week when we have little or no interest in signing anyone that would need this kind of money?

We COULD pressure Wilfork and cut him this week. But there is no IMMEDIATE need.

I'd still rather have his money available to me at the start of free agency tomorrow.

I'd still rather have his money available to me at the start of free agency tomorrow.

If I had his money available to me tomorrow, I for one would not spend it on a free agent

I agree I would love for Wilfork to redo his contract today but I really don't see the pats signing anyone noteworthy tomorrow, I would just love for him to get it done as soon as possible cause I don't wanna see him cut and replaced by a JAG

I agree I would love for Wilfork to redo his contract today but I really don't see the pats signing anyone noteworthy tomorrow, I would just love for him to get it done as soon as possible cause I don't wanna see him cut and replaced by a JAG

Agree 100%. NFW we want some military lawyer on the team. Where would he play?

That's an understandable thought, although we do have almost 16 million in cap space available at the moment just as well.

Maybe they wait and try to keep things kosher with Wilfork/Bianca, while seeing how his injury is healing? After all, we'll still need more money to sign the rookies + in season moves, as well as carrying some over again next year.

why has nothing been done yet? Curren said he expected it to be fixed by now...but it's not

Clearly, the parties haven't agreed on any new deal. In any case, we don't need the cap room yet. I suspect that Wilfork's folks understand that if the team needed the money, Wilfork will be cut, presuming no deal from Wilfork. Perhaps Wilfork would be given a chance again at the time, perhaps not.

why has nothing been done yet? Curren said he expected it to be fixed by now...but it's not

Why the rush? It's not like we can't sign even a big name FA contract with someone else using just the cap $ available today. If Wilfy isn't budging, Pats GM can always tell him that he's putting himself at risk to be cut LATER in FA the minute the Pats need the cap space. Later in FA some foolish clubs will already have spent their money and the market for a new FA will be worse. Why kick him out into the hot market where someone might scoop him when delaying works for the Pats and against Wilfork?
Are you reading this Bianca?
(Thankfully she doesn't know where I live.)

This is how i see it. I love Wilfork and want them to find a way to keep him around but the Patriots hold all the cards and they don't need the cap space at the moment because they aren't going to go for the biggest names in free agency and i would expect them to make their noise with player's who have been released rather than the big names being floated at the start of free agency. They can get done what they need to right now and then create more cap room with a restructure or release down the road to allow them to sign guys who hit the market after the opening of free agency.

This is how i see it. I love Wilfork and want them to find a way to keep him around but the Patriots hold all the cards and they don't need the cap space at the moment because they aren't going to go for the biggest names in free agency and i would expect them to make their noise with player's who have been released rather than the big names being floated at the start of free agency. They can get done what they need to right now and then create more cap room with a restructure or release down the road to allow them to sign guys who hit the market after the opening of free agency.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a big $ FA or multiple signing is in the works, all the Pats have to do if they need the cap room is to cut Wilfy one picosecond before signing the FA(s), assuming that the fax machine to the NFL offices is working. So I say, why force the issue? Let Bianca sit and realize that as teams spend their cap, the cap $ universe for a not yet but will be later on FA steadily shrinks.

The Wilforks said up yours.

I think that all transactions clear of the close of business. So, Wilfork could be cut and reported (not by fax machine) AFTER someone else is signed, just before 4PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a big $ FA or multiple signing is in the works, all the Pats have to do if they need the cap room is to cut Wilfy one picosecond before signing the FA(s), assuming that the fax machine to the NFL offices is working. So I say, why force the issue? Let Bianca sit and realize that as teams spend their cap, the cap $ universe for a not yet but will be later on FA steadily shrinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes