PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp (Day Five, Tuesday July 30)

In only 4 or 5TC sessions it is obvious to me that Mallett is progressing, while Belichick sees it every day.

It has nothing to do with loyalty. In 2000 BB looked down and found a shiny marble that Rebein had uncovered, and picked it up and used him. In 2011 he looked down and there was Mallett a potential first rounder available for the plucking in the third. BB reached down once again, just as he had when Wilfork was unexpectedly there. If the Mallett marble can be shined up, and rough edges polished sufficiently, he may have another prize marble. Or maybe not.

But Bill is doing this because he knows he will need a new shiny marble in a few years, and he is slowly polishing the one he has found. Just like Bill Walsh did with his two finds.

Reports to date describe 2013 Mallett just as they described the 2012 Mallett.

Observations from fifth practice - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

.1. After struggling in practice on Monday, his 25th birthday, rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was arguably the best player on the field Tuesday, making several noteworthy grabs and showing precise route running. Thompkins both stretched the field vertically and impressed with his underneath route running. His ability to set up defenders in press coverage with nimble footwork at the line of scrimmage continues to stand out. Cornerback Aqib Talib recently lauded his ability to release off the line.

Hype train continues

I can't decide if the Sudfeld catch over Mayo and A. Wilson is to be attributed to Sudfeld or just more proof of Mayo being semi-pedestrian in coverage :(

The 1st one to Amendola was low. No question about it.

I think the main issue I have with it is that it was late. He waited until after the break to throw it, and couldn't lead him enough (it would have been out at the sideline), so it was behind him. Amendola saved it by skidding backwards and catching it.

It's always the short crap with Tebow. His mechanics are so non-compact that he has to start much earlier to get it off, but his anticipation is below average so it's a death spiral on short, quick throws.

I can't decide if the Sudfeld catch over Mayo and A. Wilson is to be attributed to Sudfeld or just more proof of Mayo being semi-pedestrian in coverage :(
Don't know how you would even begin to "decide" that without seeing it.

I think the main issue I have with it is that it was late. He waited until after the break to throw it, and couldn't lead him enough (it would have been out at the sideline), so it was behind him. Amendola saved it by skidding backwards and catching it.

It's always the short crap with Tebow. His mechanics are so non-compact that he has to start much earlier to get it off, but his anticipation is below average so it's a death spiral on short, quick throws.

Different strokes. If I was overly concerned about anything on that play, it would be that he short armed the throw. Timing would come with more reps on the play.

I was at practice this afternoon. That catch was all Sudfeld. He really stretched out to grab that deep in the corner. Other highlights:
Amandola was catching everything even 5" off the ground
Tompkins made up for last night and looked sharp
Boyce ran crisp routes and also caught virtually everything thrown to him
Arrington popped Ridley who was coming over the middle causing words and shoving. If I'm on the defensive unit, I'm buying Arrington a beer tonight!.
The #1 highlight though was a fake field goal with Mesko passing it to someone resulting in a TD and big hi-fives!

if a guy gets to a spot and the ball is there, there's not much the defense can do to a 6'7" target in the end zone......that's why offenses can crank out 400 yards passing on the best defense in the league on a random night

With all these young players shining early, I am actually excited for the preseason games this year. I know most of the young guys (possibly all of them) won't live up the hype they are getting right now, but there is actually something to look forward to in these games.

Looks like we have a logjam at receiver now. Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins. Why did we have to draft so many studs:(:(:(

lol

Looks like we have a logjam at receiver now. Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins. Why did we have to draft so many studs:(:(:(

lol

From your mouth to God's ears :)

Awesome thread Manx, thanks for keeping us updated. :)

With all these young players shining early, I am actually excited for the preseason games this year. I know most of the young guys (possibly all of them) won't live up the hype they are getting right now, but there is actually something to look forward to in these games.

Absolutely. I love that aspect of the preseason games.

On the other hand, I always seem to sweat out the preseason due to injury concerns too.

Absolutely. I love that aspect of the preseason games.

On the other hand, I always seem to sweat out the preseason due to injury concerns too.
I watch them because they are games of football but, I rarely read anything into them unless it's the Jets. They suck.

Don't know if my eyes were decieving me while I was reading :eek: but I could have sworn a writer said than Kenbrell Thompkins has looked like the best Receiver not named Danny Armendola. Phew! a UDFA making that much noise already, kudos to the Pats Scouting and Coaching Staff. I was wondering if I would even live to see them get our WR position right through the draft.

so awesome!

I watch them because they are games of football but, I rarely read anything into them unless it's the Jets. They suck.

i watch...but hate it...i always picture injuries and i don't know why

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back