PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp (Day Five, Tuesday July 30)

Great, and the injury bug hits once again. Watch Dobson get Vereen'ed his rookie season.

Dobson must have walked near Dowling

For those that are curious about sb1's comments about Tebow pushing Mallett for a roster spot: sb1's join date is July 2013. That should be all you need to know.

Uh, you would be wrong.

That is all.

For those that are curious about sb1's comments about Tebow pushing Mallett for a roster spot: sb1's join date is July 2013. That should be all you need to know.

SB1 really doesn't like Tebow. He's not arguing for Tebow replacing Mallett, trust me.

No but I do think the team will make a decision that it's time to look elsewhere for Brady's replacement, and Mallett will not be long for this team.

I was pretty excited to see the Pats draft the kid but that was a couple years ago and now it's time to see some development.

Your whole thesis is wrong.

Mallett does not have to be "ready" until BB thinks he is, and should be. Mallett is obviously improved over last season, when he merely bounced Hoyer, and became the ONLY backup. He is more confident and has more touch on his short passes. Long passing was never an issue for him and he even exceeds Brady in that department. He also seems quicker in his reads and that is what BB is most interested in developing.

In Matt Cassell's case it was going into his fourth preseason. Mallett is only in his second and under a cheap contract for two more years, and then there is franchising as Cassell was. BB has rebuffed all trade discussions, and would have listened if he thought there was nothing there. O'Connell lasted into his second training camp, barely.

Yep, we'll see...

The fact that they invested in Mallett and went with him as backup instead of Hoyer or an aging veteran with no upside (see Testaverde, Vinny ) tells me that they do want to see if Mallett can make a case that he should be considered as Brady's replacement someday.

The Pats need to learn what they have or don't have in Mallett and the time is now.

Hoyer was tendered at the 2nd Round level I believe, which meant his salary would have been in the ballpark of $1.2M. That is biggest reason he was cut IMO. To a lesser degree in indicates Mallett is at least close to the same skill as Hoyer but then again thats not saying much given how Hoyer bounces around the league like a hot potato.

SB1 really doesn't like Tebow. He's not arguing for Tebow replacing Mallett, trust me.

Believe me or don't believe me if you want, but actually I do like Tebow. I don't necessarily think the Patriots are a better football team with him out there but that doesn't mean I don't like him. He's a good kid and we'll see if he sticks.

holy crap, some(ALL) of those tebow throws were horrendous.

Yeah, they were horrific. Just disgustingly bad. But I don't think the person that shot the video showed all of his throws. Just like in games, some of them might have been pretty decent.

Your whole thesis is wrong.

Mallett does not have to be "ready" until BB thinks he is, and should be. Mallett is obviously improved over last season, when he merely bounced Hoyer, and became the ONLY backup. He is more confident and has more touch on his short passes. Long passing was never an issue for him and he even exceeds Brady in that department. He also seems quicker in his reads and that is what BB is most interested in developing.

That's what I'm saying... if he is improving then that is great. That's what I want to see in the next two months and I think Bill does too. It doesn't make sense to just have a high upside project just stagnate or go backwards. Which is what he's done so far. Time to show progress.

Unless Bill never thought he was possibly Brady's replacement and he was always just someone filling the backup spot, then all of this is moot....

In Matt Cassell's case it was going into his fourth preseason. Mallett is only in his second and under a cheap contract for two more years, and then there is franchising as Cassell was. BB has rebuffed all trade discussions, and would have listened if he thought there was nothing there. O'Connell lasted into his second training camp, barely.

True. Well I guess if he doesn't show a lot of progress in the next two months then it will be interesting to see whether he's as loyal to Mallett as he's been so far.

Saying Amendola is the best WR on the field is like saying Tebow is the best running QB on the team. Not a whole lot of competition.
At least Amendola has a pretty good track record.

Saying Amendola is the best WR on the field is like saying Tebow is the best running QB on the team. Not a whole lot of competition.

Adding this one to the "ha, in your face" thread later on this season.

That's what I'm saying... if he is improving then that is great. That's what I want to see in the next two months and I think Bill does too. It doesn't make sense to just have a high upside project just stagnate or go backwards. Which is what he's done so far. Time to show progress.

Unless Bill never thought he was possibly Brady's replacement and he was always just someone filling the backup spot, then all of this is moot....

True. Well I guess if he doesn't show a lot of progress in the next two months then it will be interesting to see whether he's as loyal to Mallett as he's been so far.

In only 4 or 5TC sessions it is obvious to me that Mallett is progressing, while Belichick sees it every day.

It has nothing to do with loyalty. In 2000 BB looked down and found a shiny marble that Rebein had uncovered, and picked it up and used him. In 2011 he looked down and there was Mallett a potential first rounder available for the plucking in the third. BB reached down once again, just as he had when Wilfork was unexpectedly there. If the Mallett marble can be shined up, and rough edges polished sufficiently, he may have another prize marble. Or maybe not.

But Bill is doing this because he knows he will need a new shiny marble in a few years, and he is slowly polishing the one he has found. Just like Bill Walsh did with his two finds.

Adding this one to the "ha, in your face" thread later on this season.

Seriously. This all reminds me of the "We traded a 2nd and a 7th for who?!?" hysteria before the 2007 season. Amendola's good.

Aside from the wisdom of judging people from the join date, you need to understand that several users joined up for no other reason than to argue that Tebow is a bad player. They follow him around on the internet and think they are doing you a service by setting you straight about how bad one of your players is. Sadly, they instantly find quite a few allies among Patriots fans. But for most people, they just get on their nerves.

Just saying you need to modify your "all you need to know" theory. You happened to have picked out one of the ones that doesn't think Tebow can play.

Aside from the wisdom of judging people from the join date, you need to understand that several users joined up for no other reason than to argue that Tebow is a bad player. They follow him around on the internet and think they are doing you a service by setting you straight about how bad one of your players is. Sadly, they instantly find quite a few allies among Patriots fans. But for most people, they just get on their nerves.

Just saying you need to modify your "all you need to know" theory. You happened to have picked out one of the ones that doesn't think Tebow can play.

You can't be right 100% of the time.

There were two or three posted by someone who clearly doesn't like Tebow and probably cherry picked the bad ones.

Thing is, even the cherry picked group of "awful passes" weren't all that bad. The 1st one to Amendola was low. No question about it. The 2nd one to the guy crossing ? What was the complaint? Looked like a well defended play. The one down the right sideline looks like the WR broke off the route. Don't know who's mistake that was, but they definitely weren't on the same page.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back