PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp (Day Five, Tuesday July 30)

I went to padded practice on Sunday. Man I was impressed with Sudfeld. Sign him! He looks like Gronk out there. Kenbrell Thompkins was getting a lot of work too and catching them all day. Dobson impressed also.

I see the Rutgers DB's still haven't learned how to play the Ball.;):D

I don't know how McCourty was so good in 2010. Then all went to hell. I honestly think he's better than what people think but he's definitely not playing up to his rookie season. I really have no clue what happened.

Reports are that Dobson was cleated, will return to practice tomorrow.

Reports are that Dobson was cleated, will return to practice tomorrow.

I just saw the same report from masslive.com, whoever they are! We'll see him thurs!!

a couple of observations from writers

By Kevin O'Connor  @Kevin__OConnor on Jul 30 2013, 7:16p

After a sloppy performance on Monday night, Tom Brady and Tim Tebow had terrific performances on Tuesday. Besides a few overthrows on goal line drills, Tom Brady was on target all afternoon long. Brady and Danny Amendola seem to be building chemistry every day and I look forward to seeing them in live game action. One of the top plays of the day was a stunning one-handed catch by tight end Zach Sudfeld. Even though it was a difficult grab, Brady put it perfectly over the head of Adrian Wilson, who had pretty good coverage on the play. In my opinion Tim Tebow made the pass of the day when he threw an absolutely perfect deep ball to Lavelle Hawkins during one-on-one drills. Cornerback Logan Ryan couldn't have played the ball better but Tebow put the pass right into his breadbasket. Tebow has improved everyday and I think he could potentially pass Ryan Mallett on the depth chart.

Mallett wasn't able to bounce back from his bad night on Monday. He made a few good passes during 7 on 7s, including one where he nailed Matthew Slater down the left sideline but it was dropped. Mallett lacks consistency and seems to struggle whenever there is any amount of pressure. I can't help but think that Mallett needs to take some heat off the ball when it comes to intermediate routes. On a short five-yard pass to Kamar Aiken he fired it in, forcing a difficult catch. Aiken dropped the ball and there is no excuse for that, but in my opinion Mallett needs to improve on his touch in order to make things easier for the receiver.

Patriots

Observations from fifth practice
Jul 30, 2013 5:47 PM
By Field Yates ESPN

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tuesday marked the Patriots' final practice before the first day off for players during training camp, as the team put on full pads for one last time before the miniature break.

Below is a recap of observations taken during the two-hour-plus session, with a further focus on the 1-on-1 pass rushing drills coming later from Mike Reiss.

1. After struggling in practice on Monday, his 25th birthday, rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was arguably the best player on the field Tuesday, making several noteworthy grabs and showing precise route running. Thompkins both stretched the field vertically and impressed with his underneath route running. His ability to set up defenders in press coverage with nimble footwork at the line of scrimmage continues to stand out. Cornerback Aqib Talib recently lauded his ability to release off the line.

2. Tim Tebow had his best day of work in training camp, showing steady improvement from recent performances. He showed good arm strength and accuracy on throws down the field, and looks to be more decisive with each live rep. In addition, the team walked through some read option work early in practice, something Tebow's movement skills can be used in. From afar, it seems as if Tebow's work with offensive assistant coach Brian Daboll is paying early dividends.

3. With Dan Connolly working his way back from offseason shoulder surgery, there's been a steady dose of Marcus Cannon aligning with the top offensive line unit. Cannon left practice early today (reason unknown), opening the door for Tyronne Green to take extensive reps with the top five linemen. Green was signed as a free agent this offseason after starting his career with the Chargers, where he was a starter for 13 games in 2012.

4. With just 10 days until they take the field for their first preseason game, the Patriots appeared to turn their focus extensively to red zone and goal-line work today. Quarterback Tom Brady said on Monday that the team hadn't started work on those phases of the game yet, but it appears Tuesday was the day to get started. Receivers worked against defensive backs in 1-on-1 drills both in the high and low red zone areas.

5. Rookie defensive back Stephon Morris briefly pulled up after appearing to tweak his right hamstring, but he was back in practice later. It appears that the issue is insignificant.

6. We've often evaluated Danny Amendola in the construct of Wes Welker and how the two compare as players. On Tuesday, we saw Amendola haul in a long pass from Brady on a seam-stretching route. Though Welker was called upon to run vertical routes on occasion, he, of course, was at his best patrolling the slot. Amendola has the long-range speed to stress a defense down the field more. This particular throw and catch got Brady fired up.

7. Rookie linebacker Jamie Collins is, in our estimation, among the most fascinating defensive players to watch in camp. He seems to have the versatility to be used all over the formation, including as a stand-up strongside linebacker. Our early sense was he might be used more on the edge as a rusher, but it seems like the best approach is to wait and see his full skill set and how the team plans to use him. His size and movement skills aren't common.

8. The Patriots did a ball-security drill in which an offensive player carried two footballs across the width of the field with a pair of defenders attempting to dislodge them. Running back Stevan Ridley, who has had fumbling issues in the past, had one ball stripped. We'll continue to closely watch his ball handling throughout the preseason.

9. Play of the day goes to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld, who hauled in a pass from Brady in the end zone on a third-and-1 play near the goal line. Sudfeld made the acrobatic catch with both Adrian Wilson and Jerod Mayo in coverage.

a couple of observations from writers

By Kevin O'Connor  @Kevin__OConnor on Jul 30 2013, 7:16p

After a sloppy performance on Monday night, Tom Brady and Tim Tebow had terrific performances on Tuesday. Besides a few overthrows on goal line drills, Tom Brady was on target all afternoon long. Brady and Danny Amendola seem to be building chemistry every day and I look forward to seeing them in live game action. One of the top plays of the day was a stunning one-handed catch by tight end Zach Sudfeld. Even though it was a difficult grab, Brady put it perfectly over the head of Adrian Wilson, who had pretty good coverage on the play. In my opinion Tim Tebow made the pass of the day when he threw an absolutely perfect deep ball to Lavelle Hawkins during one-on-one drills. Cornerback Logan Ryan couldn't have played the ball better but Tebow put the pass right into his breadbasket. Tebow has improved everyday and I think he could potentially pass Ryan Mallett on the depth chart.

Mallett wasn't able to bounce back from his bad night on Monday. He made a few good passes during 7 on 7s, including one where he nailed Matthew Slater down the left sideline but it was dropped. Mallett lacks consistency and seems to struggle whenever there is any amount of pressure. I can't help but think that Mallett needs to take some heat off the ball when it comes to intermediate routes. On a short five-yard pass to Kamar Aiken he fired it in, forcing a difficult catch. Aiken dropped the ball and there is no excuse for that, but in my opinion Mallett needs to improve on his touch in order to make things easier for the receiver.

Patriots

Observations from fifth practice
Jul 30, 2013 5:47 PM
By Field Yates ESPN

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tuesday marked the Patriots' final practice before the first day off for players during training camp, as the team put on full pads for one last time before the miniature break.

Below is a recap of observations taken during the two-hour-plus session, with a further focus on the 1-on-1 pass rushing drills coming later from Mike Reiss.

1. After struggling in practice on Monday, his 25th birthday, rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was arguably the best player on the field Tuesday, making several noteworthy grabs and showing precise route running. Thompkins both stretched the field vertically and impressed with his underneath route running. His ability to set up defenders in press coverage with nimble footwork at the line of scrimmage continues to stand out. Cornerback Aqib Talib recently lauded his ability to release off the line.

2. Tim Tebow had his best day of work in training camp, showing steady improvement from recent performances. He showed good arm strength and accuracy on throws down the field, and looks to be more decisive with each live rep. In addition, the team walked through some read option work early in practice, something Tebow's movement skills can be used in. From afar, it seems as if Tebow's work with offensive assistant coach Brian Daboll is paying early dividends.

3. With Dan Connolly working his way back from offseason shoulder surgery, there's been a steady dose of Marcus Cannon aligning with the top offensive line unit. Cannon left practice early today (reason unknown), opening the door for Tyronne Green to take extensive reps with the top five linemen. Green was signed as a free agent this offseason after starting his career with the Chargers, where he was a starter for 13 games in 2012.

4. With just 10 days until they take the field for their first preseason game, the Patriots appeared to turn their focus extensively to red zone and goal-line work today. Quarterback Tom Brady said on Monday that the team hadn't started work on those phases of the game yet, but it appears Tuesday was the day to get started. Receivers worked against defensive backs in 1-on-1 drills both in the high and low red zone areas.

5. Rookie defensive back Stephon Morris briefly pulled up after appearing to tweak his right hamstring, but he was back in practice later. It appears that the issue is insignificant.

6. We've often evaluated Danny Amendola in the construct of Wes Welker and how the two compare as players. On Tuesday, we saw Amendola haul in a long pass from Brady on a seam-stretching route. Though Welker was called upon to run vertical routes on occasion, he, of course, was at his best patrolling the slot. Amendola has the long-range speed to stress a defense down the field more. This particular throw and catch got Brady fired up.

7. Rookie linebacker Jamie Collins is, in our estimation, among the most fascinating defensive players to watch in camp. He seems to have the versatility to be used all over the formation, including as a stand-up strongside linebacker. Our early sense was he might be used more on the edge as a rusher, but it seems like the best approach is to wait and see his full skill set and how the team plans to use him. His size and movement skills aren't common.

8. The Patriots did a ball-security drill in which an offensive player carried two footballs across the width of the field with a pair of defenders attempting to dislodge them. Running back Stevan Ridley, who has had fumbling issues in the past, had one ball stripped. We'll continue to closely watch his ball handling throughout the preseason.

9. Play of the day goes to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld, who hauled in a pass from Brady in the end zone on a third-and-1 play near the goal line. Sudfeld made the acrobatic catch with both Adrian Wilson and Jerod Mayo in coverage.

Don't let Riddler see the stuff on Mallett...

Don't let Riddler see the stuff on Mallett...

Need to hide it from everyone in the NFL as well seeing as how Supafly is out there working the wires trying to get a 2nd round pick (or higher) for him.

Your whole thesis is wrong.

Mallett does not have to be "ready" until BB thinks he is, and should be. Mallett is obviously improved over last season, when he merely bounced Hoyer, and became the ONLY backup. He is more confident and has more touch on his short passes. Long passing was never an issue for him and he even exceeds Brady in that department. He also seems quicker in his reads and that is what BB is most interested in developing.

In Matt Cassell's case it was going into his fourth preseason. Mallett is only in his second and under a cheap contract for two more years, and then there is franchising as Cassell was. BB has rebuffed all trade discussions, and would have listened if he thought there was nothing there. O'Connell lasted into his second training camp, barely. End quot es

While I love mallett's arm and potential, none of us have seen a well played game against competition. Sure he's had his "time," (which many around here felt play calling hamstrung potential to prove during preseason, a few went so far as to wonder if it was to hide a talent). He has an "A" arm, but what else do we know?

I hope the kid is the next Rodgers (replacing HOF franchise QB), but I am far from sold. That said, with Brady signing an incredibly team friendly extension, the door is open. While I would hate to see Tf'nB in another uniform, the trade bait is certainly there (unless a no trade clause I was unaware of, is this even permissible in the nfl?). All it takes is one smaller market team with a semblance of a shot to cough up a decent package of picks (who is next year's 2011 bronco's? Sure no picks for Manning, but no ridiculous contact either).

Again, I HOPE Mallett is NOT the successor as I whimsically and vaguely theorized out. At the same time, as a young teen I was hoping Drew got the start against the Rams after coming up clutch in Pittsburgh. Even Joe Montana had to hang em up, I just hope BB hangs around a few QB attempts after The Greatest.

QB succescion talk aside, I LOVE the loss of Tf'nB's binkies! Get back to the spread the rock mentality that won him championships as the unheralded nobody. Be the game manager. Be the unheralded guy who reacts. Don't be the GOAT who makes the "should be open" read. Simplify this offense. If pick upon pick can't see the field the same as Tf'nB (can't imagine why that would be, given he's 38 to their second/first year), maybe work your QB to the athletes, instead of your athletes to the cognitive, technical, experienced qb? Just sayin...

That said, love the reports so far on the rookie skill positions. If they can keep a third of this up and build from there as the season progresses, I like our chances.

I'm saying it now, if the d stays borderline nfl healthy (few to no dl injuries), this team will make Bru's 03 team look like a bunch of punks, offense be damned.

Need to hide it from everyone in the NFL as well seeing as how Supafly is out there working the wires trying to get a 2nd round pick (or higher) for him.

So far the only person to return my calls was a drunk Mike Lombardi, and even he said his hands were tied due to just having spent a 1st round pick on Brandon Weeden.

So far the only person to return my calls was a drunk Mike Lombardi, and even he said his hands were tied due to just having spent a 1st round pick on Brandon Weeden.

This is the other problem, who would trade for Mallett?

TB were a fit but they just drafted Mike Glennon.

KC traded for Alex Smith and have Tyler Bray rocking the house in TC.

Jax doesn't seem like a very good fit for Mallett.

Oak are a possibility but have Tyler Wilson (now that would be an interesting camp battle).

Arizona might be an outside bet if Carson Palmer stinks it up this year.

And of course the Cleveland Browns.

Doesn't strike me as a particularly competitive market for his services.

d%#*!@t. Is Matt Millen back in a front office anywhere ?

This is the other problem, who would trade for Mallett?

TB were a fit but they just drafted Mike Glennon.

KC traded for Alex Smith and have Tyler Bray rocking the house in TC.

Jax doesn't seem like a very good fit for Mallett.

Oak are a possibility but have Tyler Wilson (now that would be an interesting camp battle).

Arizona might be an outside bet if Carson Palmer stinks it up this year.

And of course the Cleveland Browns.

Doesn't strike me as a particularly competitive market for his services.

Yeah, I fully agree with you. I think this would have had to be the year based on the poorer QB draft. The only real hope is if someone gets injured and even then I don't think it'd look too good.

OAK also brought in Matt Flynn, so I'm guessing that he's the penciled in starter with Tyler Wilson the #2. CLE may end up taking another QB in the first round next year, if they don't somehow end up in the market for the loser of the PHI battle; especially if it happens to be Nick Foles, then he probably automatically jumps to the top of the list of possible candidates for everyone.

Another thing to consider is that we'll see a whole new crop of draftees and veteran guys like Josh Freeman etc next year, so the same problem may arise. It seems as though everyone is pinning their hopes on Mike Lombardi.

Yeah, I fully agree with you. I think this would have had to be the year based on the poorer QB draft. The only real hope is if someone gets injured and even then I don't think it'd look too good.

OAK also brought in Matt Flynn, so I'm guessing that he's the penciled in starter with Tyler Wilson the #2. CLE may end up taking another QB in the first round next year, if they don't somehow end up in the market for the loser of the PHI battle; especially if it happens to be Nick Foles, then he probably automatically jumps to the top of the list of possible candidates for everyone.

Another thing to consider is that we'll see a whole new crop of draftees and veteran guys like Josh Freeman etc next year, so the same problem may arise. It seems as though everyone is pinning their hopes on Mike Lombardi.

Not to be too contrarian but i disagree with there being no market for mallet and this year being the year we should have traded him. I think in pre season people were pointing out it would be hard to trade for him basically because they wouldn't be able to extent him yet being a big factor on why a team wouldn't trade a high pick for him.

I would say that Browns, Arizona, Jets, Oakland, Jags, Titans, KC and on the outside are Minni and Tampa.

These are the now teams but you never know after the season is done who will be on that list and maybe even off that list.

There is always a market for good qbs

I saw him yesterday...I saw a whole lot of him last preseason...he still looks nervous in the live 11 on 11 reps...if I can see that then NFL scouts damn sure can too...I'd place Mallett's value right now as a 5th round pick in trade...if Bill can get better I'd personally be all in. All this is very very premature however.Let's at least wait until the preseason games are played before we go off the deep end in all directions.

Reports to date describe 2013 Mallett just as they described the 2012 Mallett.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Belichick, who is as free in giving praise to his own players, as a miser is with a nickle, has said that HE sees the development in Mallett. I haven't been there, but the videos and the reports also show a guy who is doing better with the short game and there was never a question about his long passing. It is simply superior to Brady's weakest ability.

But more importantly the game is slowing for him, and his reads appear quicker. They have worked with his footwork, and it seems more consistent and better now. So that is making him more accurate. I have said many time that 90% of QB play is done between the ears. Mallett is visibly improving there, the Poise anmd confidence is evident. BB echoes that, Ryan is simply maturing.

Is Mallett equal to Tom? No! Nor is anyone else in the League.

Can he be a franchise QB? Who knows? But he has the physical tools, and BB is making sure that the knowledge between his ears is as good as he can make it.

Mallett has the next two ears to show BB what he has accomplished, before BB has to make any decisions. Recalling the way BB works, he will allow that to continue until he thinks the results are not good enough.

I think we'll see a lot of Mallett this preseason but I think we'll see a little more of Brady than usual...say in preseason game three. Brady's gonna need the live bullets flying to synch in with these new WR's...however, that is just my guess. On Mallett my hope is his jittery look in live camp action 11 on 11's is a short lived in game response and he can settle down. He HAS made strides since last year with his overall QB play...you can see that on the tape. I don't know...I just feel apprehensive about him right now...I get the feeling he's jumpy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back