PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to Run more next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. This is what I came up with. Used the data from Pro Football Ref.

View attachment 17202
So over the 2016 regular season as a whole, only four teams (Bills, Cowboys, Titans, 49ers) ran the ball more than the Patriots. if we consider the last 12 Brady games only, then only 5 teams (add the Dolphins) ran the ball more.

NFL Run/Pass Ratios - 2016

Of course some of this run-heavy play was skewed by the 5-minute offense - be interesting to see what the numbers were in the first half or before the games were out of hand.

running in regular season was OK..prob want to be able to run in the post season too though
IMHO, with the exception of Dion Lewis a couple of seasons ago before he was injured (and even in his case, his pass blocking wasn't top notch), the Pats haven't had a RB for some time who was really a strong dual threat for both running plays and passing plays. RB's like Blount, Ridley, etc. normally meant a running play. Backs like Vereen, or White (at least until recently) meant pass. In the regular season, especially against weaker teams, the Pats still ran pretty well, and as tony2046 pointed out, the pass / run ratio for the Pats under Brady was pretty good last year 55% pass / 45% run. But as fighting irish595 pointed out, that run game pretty much went out the window in the Super Bowl with Brady making a whopping 63 pass attempts against the Falcons (vs. 25 runs), and the story in the Seattle Super Bowl was similar (50 pass attempts vs. 21 runs). IMHO inserting Blount telegraphed a running play that was too easily stopped by a well prepared, strong defense.

The innovative multiple TE offense that BB has pioneered is so effective because coach-on-the-field Tom Brady can adjust the play according to the defense and not give the defense time to make substitutions, especially important in the playoffs. How much more powerful would this offense be with a RB who could be a true threat for either a run or a pass play? I hope that this year we will have a true dual threat either from the two new RB additions, a healed Lewis, or a recently more effective (at running plays) White. I am hopeful that adding that run/pass uncertainty to the opposing defense will enable us to run more effectively in the next Super Bowl ;)

Last edited:
There is a school who's coach never punted......and they had a pretty good record if I recall....someone posted it on this site I think .......

Found a link....The highly successful high school coach who never punts has another radical idea
"He is 77-17 at Pulaski, with two state championship appearances. It’s weird. It also works."

They have a good record because they are good, not because they do not punt. Low percentage going for it on 4th and 1 from your 20 - even if you make it, still have to go 80 yards.

Idk about running it more, but I see an uptick in dump offs to backs, opening up the more than occasional bomb to Cooks.:)

Speaking of running, one of the factors in SB LI win was the superior conditioning, due to running windsprints up hill from the Soccer Practice Field to the Football Practice field, a very subtle change.. but being able to run close to 100 offensive plays in that Superbowl can wear down a good defense.. I thought the Pats O looked fresh at the end to the Superbowl..

I doubt that would translate into the NFL with similar results but it's an interesting idea nevertheless.

Agree Tony ....it would be fun to watch tho.......I couldn't see NOT punting deep in your own territory on a 4th and 15 tho :)

Pats ran alot last season it seemed like. Problem has bee that as good as blount is during the regular season once the playoffs come around he disappears. Pats try to run and just cant against the better teams

Hopefully gillislee changes that.

Hopefully gillislee changes that.

I have no reason to believe that this will happen, other than hope. If the OL had played better (and been healthier), we would have had more success running with Blount in the playoffs. BTW, I've fine with moving on from Blount; a younger back is a good idea.

The investment in RB's seems to be more about protecting the playbook. They could lose two of the RB's to injury this year and not have to change the play calling in any one game. Last year, the RB injuries had a much larger impact on the play calling.

As much as I loved Blount I think we will run much more effectively. I think we will have a better offense than Atlanta.

More total rushing yardage-likely. More rushing first downs-likely.. More than 19 rushing touchdowns-maybe. Higher percentage of rushing plays-not likely

Patriots will tailor their game plans to exploit the weaknesses of opponents more in 2017. That is the only thing we can be sure of.

Most confidence I have had in our running backs going into a season since Dillon/Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents